can a thicker oil help cause over heating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm thinking of putting amsoil 15w40 in my buddy's 2002 honda accord. it requires 5w20 but his warranty is over and i'd like to see a thick oil in there for the summer (and i have some kicking around the house). will this help contribute to the engine over heating in hot summer traffic?

thanks

Title:

quote:

can a thicker oil help cause over heating?

No.

quote:

will this help contribute to the engine over heating in hot summer traffic?

No.

Is this oil suitable for a 2002 Honda?

Not really....I am confident the oil will flow and protect well....but other than the fact that you have it "kicking around the house", why use it? Again no real harm, but I believe you may loose a bit of power and a hair of a MPG.

You could see higher oil temps but it wouldn't ever cause over heating. Just run an X-30 oil. No need for a 40wt in a 2002 Accord.

20 weights are proving themselves everyday in applications that call for them. There is no need to use a heavier oil for a typical daily driver.
smile.gif

THe most you would expect to see in a worse cause situation is 5F-15F for any weight from 5W30-25W50 with the ssame base stock. Now if you are talking going from a 20W50 dino oil to a 5W30 Ester based synthetic then you could at WOT see as much as a 35F reduction in temps!

I doubt you'll see any difference in engine temps or any additional overheating. I ran Delo 400 15w-40 in my Saturn DOHC. In terms of engine temperature, it behaved exactly as Havoline/Chevron, and the Pennzoil dinos I used in the heat of summer. It wasn't til I ran synth, M1, where engine temps definitely went down. Even using 15w-50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back