Can a conventional oil keep an engine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put a set of valve cover gaskets in my Dad's 1989 Chevy K1500. The truck has run nothing but 10W30 Pennzoil for 118,000 changed every 6 months for 3,000 miles. The engine was very clean inside with just a small amount of residue in the valve covers.

Matt89...

quote:

...to avoid your predicament...

I'm not sure "predicament" is the right word...

REALITY might be a better choice...components wear out be it the engine or anything else. I did the math, and my car cost me about $150 a month over the last 2 years for repairs. I like the car; I know the car, and I am willing to put in the TLC to keep it going. A new Acura RSX or similar vehicle would run 2 or 3 times that per month.

Every vehicle gets to this point eventually. The question is are you as the owner prepared to keep it alive? If not, synthetic oil may very well be a waste of money...

dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by geeeman:
Be honest...how long do you plan to own your vehicle?

I have a 10 year old car with over 220 000 m; somedays I wish the engine would die......

......PS - I love the car....... It has run a steady diet of synthetic oil, mostly M1.

SOMETIMES!!! I wonder if making the engine last so long is a good idea...???

dunno.gif
confused.gif
grin.gif

Let me get this straight: you have an engine that is still going strong after more than 200,000 miles and you are complaining ???
rolleyes.gif

But I have been in the same situation before. I had a 1981 model Ford 351 v-8 Bronco up 'till 5 1/2 years ago. That engine, fed on a steady diet of dinosaur monograde Castrol HD-30, ya had to drive a wooden stake through it to kill it. But the electricals, hydraulics, clutch, forget it. That thing cost me a couple of thou a month to keep running. The only reason I humored the sucker was, I lived in a high-crime neighborhood at the time, and Old Fords were the only things you could drive where you'd wake up in the morning, and it'd still be parked there. A Honda, or an Acura like yours, would not have lasted 5 minutes there.

I recently sold a '91 Chev Z/71 truck that I logged 197K miles on, all with various dino oils changed at around 4k miles, the engine was still very clean inside and still ran great. I would agree that sludge is more a result of mechanical problems or design issues than the fault of the oil itself, not that I disagree with Jellies statement of synth being superior in sludge reduction, and perhaps may be able to overcome minor mechanical or design problems, for most people this isn't reason enough to use synth, not that there aren't some very good reasons for using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back