Can a Californian register this car?

IMG_8065.JPG

Or any state with CA emissions? This came new from PA which has CA emissions, so I'm not clear on how this works.

This is a DMV question(or AAA can help you if you are a member) -you will get rampant speculation on here. Is this vehicle so unique you want to go through the query process?

No, you can't register it in California, but you can register it in other states that use California emissions, because their actual registration/inspection rules are nowhere near as ridiculous. Most states that have emissions inspection just plug in to the OBD, and if there are no codes, and enough monitors are ready, it passes.

Florida and Washington also use CA emissions, but they have no inspection.

PA only requires some counties to be inspected. If it came from a non-emissions county, nobody would ever check it :sneaky:

Even if it was from an emissions county, they will still allow it because the emissions testing is just the OBD plug test. If it passes, it passes.

From the 2nd link in post #3.

"If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered
by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for
vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered."

No, you can't register it in California, but you can register it in other states that use California emissions, because their actual registration/inspection rules are nowhere near as ridiculous. Most states that have emissions inspection just plug in to the OBD, and if there are no codes, and enough monitors are ready, it passes.
OK thanks. I doubt anyone from Cali would buy it from this far away but was concerned about MD, VA DE, PA NY etc.

OK thanks. I doubt anyone from Cali would buy it from this far away but was concerned about MD, VA DE, PA NY etc.
Read the link I gave from the California DVM. Also plenty of other CA DVM hits with a Google search.

I know in NY there are exceptions. A car over 7500 miles don't matter. Also, if your car is disabled out of state, and you buy a new car, it is ok.

I think it has to do more with the calibration in the PCM. CA emissions cars meet a higher bar for pollutants. A CEL may set for example with a 25% fuel trim instead of 30.

Years back, CA had a surcharge for out of state emissions cars brought into the state. An "Environmental Impact Fee" of around $300. The fee violated the interstate commerce clause of the Constitution. They were sued and lost. They had to drop the fee and refund all that was paid in.
Dishdude,, Chris and others have it right.

The rules only apply to CA residents who purchase new non-50 state emissions vehicles. New is defined as < 7500mi (and 2 yrs in other pubs)

The OP’s label is a MY 2015, so likely is excluded from this Rule and thus valid for CA residents to register it in CA.

If you are not a CA resident, buy a new 49 state car, register it in your home state, then move to CA and establish CA residency the next day, you can register it in CA since you originally registered it as a non-resident.

As long as it is Federal (49 states) certified, it can be registered in California. When it is both NOT Fed & CA certified, it must be inspected by a BAR Referee in CA to be registered in CA.

Back