Camry Tires-Goodyear or Cooper ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to make an emergency stop last year with the wife's Camery in a torrential rain with Cooper CS5's and I was amazed at how quick the car stopped! It was really incredible.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Why would you buy tires from a Toyota dealer? You’ll save money getting them almost anywhere else. Of those alternatives, I’d go with the Coopers, too.

It depends. Last set of tires, Michelins, the Ford dealer was the cheapest in town. I was shocked that they were competitive with Sears Tire Rack, etc. I'd imagine Toyota is getting into the game too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Are either made in USA?

My CS5-Ultra's, and the Mastercraft.. somethings... my dad and uncle both have all came from the Cooper plant in Tupelo, MS.

These tires aren't from the Toyota dealer. It's a local privately owned tire store.

Internet prices for these tires are around $130 each plus installation which is about $100 for the set. I figured that the local place would be better when and if there was any problems. I never get the mileage that tires are warrantied for. Usually about half. (Yes, I rotate and check pressures)

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Are either made in USA?

My CS5-Ultra's, and the Mastercraft.. somethings... my dad and uncle both have all came from the Cooper plant in Tupelo, MS.

Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring?

s-l1600.jpg

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Are either made in USA?

Mastercraft LSR Grand Touring?

s-l1600.jpg

that's the ones!

Be sure to look for deals for whatever you decide. I always find good deals with Goodyear and you can pick out your tires online and have them delivered to the store at no cost. They are always running either buy 3 get 1 free, free installation, $100 rebate, etc. I recently had 4 tires installed at my local Goodyear with free installation and $40 rebate. Under $400 out the door with 205/65R16 Goodyear Assurance All-Seasons which is cheaper than Discount Tire. Tires were made in Alabama USA as well according to DOT code.

Last edited:
I have both, Cooper CS5 Ultra in 18in on my Kia and GY Eagle Sport in 19in on my Chrysler. If I were to do it again, I would get the GY Eagle Sports on my Kia. Coopers are okay, only party piece is dry traction, wet is very similar to GY if not slightly worse. GY Eagle Sports are miles ahead in snow traction. I made it up and down Mt. Hood, OR couple of weeks ago with 4 people in a FWD Chrysler with 7/32nds of tread on the tires. Also, I dont know if its my set or what, but I have never ever been able to get the Coopers perfectly balanced, even after getting the wheels "trued" and refinished, Roadforce balanced etc.

Last edited:
Consider the gy assurance comfort tread touring. More comfortable ride for your se and handle well. Last about 45,000 then get a warranty pro rate and go again. I prefer fresh rubber to long lasting. .02.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: khittner
Why would you buy tires from a Toyota dealer? You’ll save money getting them almost anywhere else. Of those alternatives, I’d go with the Coopers, too.

It depends. Last set of tires, Michelins, the Ford dealer was the cheapest in town. I was shocked that they were competitive with Sears Tire Rack, etc. I'd imagine Toyota is getting into the game too.

The local Toyota dealer's marketing group runs a buy 3 get one free promo and normal labor rate to mount and balance tires. From my days working at a Honda dealer, we were competitive price-wise with Big O and Sears but we can't beat Costco on Michelin and Bridgestone.

Also, Ford and Toyota use the same tire distributor(Dealer Tire I think), while Honda does have a deal with TireRack for their program.

I never used Cooper, I've heard good things here. Goodyear can make good tires - the Assurance, Eagle Sport/F1 and Wrangler non-OEM/Wal-Mart series are proof. Kelly is surprisingly good for the price. Their OEM and discount retailer series are hit or miss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back