Camry pulling to right

Haven't driven my car but to back it from the garage to driveway and put in again in about two weeks. Get in today for a quick errand, run over a tiny ice ball at the end of my driveway leftover from yesterday's snow storm and the car pulls hard to the right. Tire pressures are all the same and a fine 33 psi in 33°F weather. Steering is very loose. I can turn the wheel from 10 to 2 and not much happens. A little wiggle. My asthma is acting up and I'm in no mood to crawl under the car or pull the wheels off to see what's wrong. I've had cars back in the 80s with bad alignment. This doesn't feel like that. I read a blurb on line that a weak battery can cause the electric power steering to act up and cause my problem. I'm going to order a fancy new battery charger and charge the battery up tomorrow and see what happens. Then again the battery is 4 years old so maybe it's time for a new one. Anyone hear of weak battery causing steering problems?

Without looking at the car, it is a guess...at best. You need lift up the front end and check for worn/loose/damaged parts when you are ready for it.

Something broke. It goes without saying don't drive that car.

Even with no power steering (turn key to unlock but not on) the front wheels should react to turning the steering wheel no more than an inch or so at the rim. There is always a mechanical connection in case the power fails.

I charged the battery for a little over an hour with my old 10A charger. Took it for a test drive and all is back to normal. That's a really weird thing. I'll be keeping an eye on it and buying a smarter charger.

That’s weird it stopped after charging the battery. Is that just a coincidence?
It's possible. Maybe just needed to turn the car off and on. But if anyone else has some weird pulling in their Camry with electric power steering, I'd recommend charging or replacing the battery before going down a rabbit hole.

It's possible. Maybe just needed to turn the car off and on. But if anyone else has some weird pulling in their Camry with electric power steering, I'd recommend charging or replacing the battery before going down a rabbit hole.
You got lucky. I have seen Toyota pulling and customer forgot to say battery was dead after sitting for awhile only to have to reprogram electric steering module.

Back