Camry Hybrid: Will it trump "LE" as volume seller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reviews are in and, subjective exterior styling aside, the consensus is that the new car is better than the old one in every way. However, the Camry Hybrid is the real star.

The old 2011 Camry Hybrid starts at $27,050 and has an EPA rating of 31 city/35 hwy mpg, this is a good nearly $6000 more expensive the 2011 6AT base model which retails for $21,245. So, for $6,000 you get 9 more MPG in the city and 2 more MPG on the highway with the Hybrid. However, according to many, the worst thing about the car might be that it drives very much like a "hybrid" if you get my meaning.

============================================================================
2012 Camry Pricing (including destination) and MPG numbers:
Camry Base: $21,955 (decrease of $45 from 2011)
Camry LE: $22,500 (decrease of $200 from 2011)
Camry SE I4: $23,000 (decrease of $965 from 2011)
Camry SE V6: $26,640 (exact same as 2011)
Camry XLE I4: $24,725 (decrease of $2000!!!! from 2011)
Camry XLE V6: $29,845 (exact same as 2011)
Camry Hybrid LE: $25,900 (decrease of $1,150 from 2011)
Camry Hybrid XLE: $27,400 (decrease of $800 from 2011)

The reason for the huge price jumps between I4 and V6 models is because the V6 models come with more standard options than the I4...not just a difference in the engine.

Speaking of engines, this is 2012's lineup:
2.5 2AR-FE I4 Gas: 178 hp across the board: 25 city/35 highway/28 combined
3.5 2GR-FE V6 Gas: 268 hp: 21 city/30 highway/24 combined
2.5 2AR Hybrid: 200 hp: 43 city/39 highway/41 combined
==============================================================================

Compare the Camry LE to the Hybrid: The Hybrid gets a good 13mpg COMBINED more than the conventional LE and it cost a mere $3400 more, and, if the professional reviews are to be believed, the Hybrid drives and handles as well as the LE but faster! The Hybrid has been clocked to go from 0-60mph in 7.6 seconds.

Sidenote: it seems that the biggest loser is the V6 car, which is only a full second faster than the hybrid.

Conclusion: with the old Camry, it can be hard to justify spending so much more for the Hybrid. With the new car, it almost makes no sense to get the cheaper LE over the much better Hybrid.

My prediction: The Hybrid will be the volume selling Camry.

Another prediction: The Hybrid will take sales away from the "Prius v" and may even challenge the ole' Prius itself.

j41GU.jpg

Last edited:
I saw this earlier:
The V6 uses chain-driven camshafts and Dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (Dual VVT-i). To improve efficiency, the V6 features a new, lower oil viscosity and an automatic transmission fluid warmer that brings the transmission to operating temperature more quickly in cold weather. Higher final drive-gear ratios also contribute to better fuel economy in the new Camry models.

No manual camrys anymore. Looks like the last gen camry and the current gen corolla mated. Interior looks fantastic though.

Last edited:
I think the Ford hybrids are going to take over. They're reliable, comfortable and are roomier for a family. Honestly, I think Toyota is on the way down. Just my opinion.

I could be wrong, but I think Toyota has said that they EXPECT the Hybrid to be the best selling car. (Long term)

As the cost of Hybrid/Electric technology comes down it starts to make more sense.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I think the Ford hybrids are going to take over. They're reliable, comfortable and are roomier for a family. Honestly, I think Toyota is on the way down. Just my opinion.

Yes, I eagerly await what the all-new Ford Fusion and Fusion hybrid have in store.

This new Camry might just be best in class in every category for the time being. One thing I really like is that this "conventional" design will mean great visibility all over. That's important to me.

PS: Camry is not using Direct-Injection or Lithium-ion, I wonder how they are doing it. Low Rolling resistance tires can't be the whole story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mareakin
PS: Camry is not using Direct-Injection or Lithium-ion, I wonder how they are doing it. Low Rolling resistance tires can't be the whole story.

If you're talking about the economy improvements in the non-hybrids as well, I suspect they've played heavily with the transmission's shift programming to achieve the numbers. My 2011 Camry was smooth to drive at more than half throttle, but any less than that, and it was upshifting as quickly as it could, and the TCC would stay locked almost all the time, making it as clunky as a manual under some conditions. The transmission's operation was as much as half of the reason I traded the car. It wasn't a mechanical issue at all. It was simply how it was programmed to operate. I suspect the 2012 models will be even more aggressive in this arena.

Which brings up an interesting point. The transmission is super smooth for about 100 miles after a battery unplug, as it relearns and resets. When I test-drove the car, it drove beautiful. But after a while, it would get real aggressive with shifting and TCC operation. Disconnect and reconnect the battery and it was super smooth again, for 100 miles anyway. Just a word of caution to whose who might test-drive one.

Regarding the car itself, and not the powertrain, I already thought the previous generation was at the top of the class. We have Fusions at work and I think the Camry is at least as good as they are in terms of being a sedan and doing what sedans do. If this new model is even a basic improvement in most areas over the old, I see Toyota having no trouble maintaining the Camry's status as a consistent top-seller.

Lot of factors to consider.

a) If Toyota pressures the dealers to stock more hybrids
b) If Toyota tilts production toward they hybrid
c) What the average price of fuel is
d) Incentives on the LE vs the hybrid
e) How many customers ck insurance premiums on gas vs hybrid
f) Fleet sales

Toyota can almost "make" the hybrid sell more than the LE. Of course that comes with the risk of pushing customers toward competition such as Hyundai.

Looks like an Acura TL from the sides. I think they are smoking crack if they are planning on taking over the mid-size car race. Too much competition and honestly, what did they REALLY change on it? Looks the same.

I like the Camry Hybrid a lot. I came very close to purchase, we could not come to terms. I still think I should have.

There is much to like about a full size car that gets excellent economy and has plenty of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back