Camry 4 cyl. 2AZ-FE non US oil spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpi

Interesting, informative forum. I have a 2004 Camry with 2AZ-FE 4 cylinder engine.

After reading information from this link, I question whether automaker specs for oil in US market is designed for optimum lubrication or for eeking out a few tenths of MPG for CAFE.

www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/ccd0112.pdf

I'm interested in what oil viscosity Toyota specifies in other parts of the world for this engine.

I live in so. CA., trip length nearly always 40 miles or more, frequent extreme high temps during summer. I would prefer to use the Toyota US recommended oil viscosity for fuel economy purposes but feel this recommendation may be influenced by other factors.

Any owners of 2AZ-FE 4 cylinder engine Toyotas from areas other than US; could you post the Toyota oil recommendation?

Is the 2.4L in the '04 Camry the same Toyota Tacoma 2.4L they had a few years back? Is the 2.4L a sludge monster?

[ January 26, 2004, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: hkkc ]

No the current 2.4 was introduced in FWD vehicles in 2002. It is used in US in the Highlander, Camry and a variant may be used in RAV 4 (smaller displacement). It is not the truck engine. I haven't heard any reports on sludge in this engine, but it may be too early to know.

My concern is the engine uses an oil lubricated timing chain, and pretty much standard automotive clearances for pistons and bearings. I question the US viscosity spec. when other similar engines from same mfg. call for higher viscosity in different markets.

Ken4 has this same enigne and he uses 15W40, 15W50, 5W40 etc.......

I have this engine in my 2003 Camry and I use 5W40.To date it has performed well even at -18F!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back