Camper A/C question

I'm in a couple of Camping/Boondocking groups and they often mention a 'soft-start' device for A/C, which reduces the start-up load on the generator. This, in turn, allows for a smaller generator.

I was just wondering - would replacing the start-up capacitor (or supplementing the original) with a larger capacitor achieve the same goal? Or is there a point of diminishing return on start-up capacitance?

Again, just curious. The A/C in my camper starts just fine.

There are larger starting capacitors and can be somewhat effective from what I've read, but it's not so simple as just installing a larger capacitor. I'm sure an EE here can explain why there are diminishing returns from larger capacitors.

I have used Micro-Air Easy Start 364, which reduce startup current and are very effective.

There is a different capacitor you can buy to make the start-up easier. Not sure if they're OEM or aftermarket. I just installed a Micro-Air EasyStart on our trailer so we can use a 2500W generator. They say a 15k btu AC unit needs 4500W + to start. The EasyStart unit is an electronic device that somehow widens that start-up spike.

Wayne posted while I was typing.

Or, just buy the next size larger generator and have plenty of reserve power.
Yes, that works, but they get heavier as you go up in watts. I had a Honda 2200, not because I didn't want a much larger generator, but because I could lift the 2200 in and out of the truck by myself.

Yes, that works, but they get heavier as you go up in watts. I had a Honda 2200, not because I didn't want a much larger generator, but because I could lift the 2200 in and out of the truck by myself.
Just a thought, you could buy 2 of the 2200 generators and daisy chain them together. This way you are no messing with your camper AC.

We have a Wen 56380i and it works awesome for our off grid / field camping. It weighs ~100 lbs so a little heavy but 2 of us can handle it no problem.

Just my $0.02

Just a thought, you could buy 2 of the 2200 generators and daisy chain them together. This way you are no messing with your camper AC.
Sure but then you've got 2 generators to deal with. The EasyStart unit is pretty seamless and reversible. I had to cut one wire to make a 3 way splice otherwise just plugging in 3 other wires and disconnecting 1 or 2. At $300 cheaper than a 2nd generator and it works fine. I'd rather handle 1 60 pound unit than 2 or a higher wattage one over 100 lbs.

Back