Camless engines on their way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It opens up lots of possibilities.

There's an interesting comment on that page about 42V electrical systems and that you'd have to have an electrician's license to work on one.

I'd like to put linear motors on the pistons, to replace the crankshaft. The electric oil and water pumps would only pump as much as is needed. The transmission would be replaced with an inverter, there would be an ultracapacitor for regenerative braking, and the wheels would be driven by electric motors.

Bmw built a 600cc single with this kind of valve gear to show off the concept. The downside was limited rpm capabiltiy and the large amount of electrical power (for a bike) that was required. Efficiency was sort of a wash, friction reduction vs. having to a turn more alternator. Upside was the ability to control valve timing. One version had the carb full open all the time (like a diesel) and the rpm was totally controlled by valve timing and fuel inj.

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
There's an interesting comment on that page about 42V electrical systems and that you'd have to have an electrician's license to work on one.

Given that you are not required to have an electrician's license to repair appliances, how can someone conclude that you'd be required to have an electrician's license to repair a car just because it has a 42-volt electrical system?

It's a car, not a dwelling. Well, for most people, it's a car. For some, it doubles as a dwelling, but they're still not required to get a building permit to make modifications to it..

There goes my Crower Cam stock out the proverbial window....

plopping into the mud....

as worthless as a politician doing any job requiring mental acuity and physicam exertion.

Sigh.......

and those same politicos spew how I should invest for retirement.

Sniff......

I've always looked at infinitely variable valve timing as one of the last hurdles to achieve maximum efficiency from a piston engine. We've already optimized the spark and fuel delivery to a high level. VVT will go far in making an efficient engine.

One other design concept to maximize engine efficiency is variable compression ratios. But I personally don't care for this technology... it adds too much complexity to the engine.

I believe that caterpiller developed a camless engine a several years ago. the idea being that it could adjust for max power/effeciency under all operating conditions. I don't know where the project is now.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
I believe that caterpiller developed a camless engine a several years ago. the idea being that it could adjust for max power/effeciency under all operating conditions. I don't know where the project is now.

Google shows a bunch of articles on that engine.

With the new variable valve timing this is already possible without exotic electronics, look at BMW's new engines.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I've always looked at infinitely variable valve timing as one of the last hurdles to achieve maximum efficiency from a piston engine. We've already optimized the spark and fuel delivery to a high level. VVT will go far in making an efficient engine.

One other design concept to maximize engine efficiency is variable compression ratios. But I personally don't care for this technology... it adds too much complexity to the engine.

the biggest hurdle to an efficiant ic engine is reclaiming the (now) wasted heat.

Formula 1 engines have been using camless engines for years. They use pneumatic valves. High pressure air (I remember hearing something like 2000 PSI or 4000 PSI or something crazy), not electronics, is used to open and close the valves. This is how they get 19,000 RPM out of these screamers. The computer controls when and how much each valve opens, for infinitely variable valve timing.

Check this out:

http://wmediavod.coltfrance.com/wme...004/07/01/F1_Renault_16871_4_25_0_320x240.wmv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back