Camguard and spark plug deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running Camguard at the proper ratio in various aircraft. In my personal Cessna (200HP IO360) I'm discovering excessive spark plug deposits all of a sudden. It coincides with my use of Camguard.

The deposits are located deep inside the lower plugs, not near the electrode, but down inside, by the insulator. They are brown/tan in color, looking kind of like dried dirt. They are not "rock hard" like carbon and lead deposits. They can easily be picked out by a piece of safety wire or paper clip. The deposits are chunky in nature and are quite large. I can easily break up the chunks and it looks like dust/dirt.

My best guess is that since my engine consumes about 1 quart in 4-6 hours, I'm seeing the additive in Camguard forming this deposit. By 10 hours, the lower plugs are full of deposits. Weird... They don't seem to affect how it runs.

I have not changed oil brand, type or viscosity. Nor have I changed any other parameters. A quick look inside the cylinder reveals nothing unusual.

In over 11 years and millions of hours of Camguard use I have never heard of anything like what you describe. I am sure you are using Camguard Aviation at 5% by volume but what oil are you using? There is nothing in Camguard that will form the ash deposits you describe.

Can you send me a half a gram or so of this deposit? I would be interested in analyzing it.

Ed

Edward Kollin
Technical Director
Aircraft Specialties Lubricants

If I see it again, I will save some. I have to wonder what it is, if not related to camguard. Yup, followed directions. I do not use any other additives in the fuel or oil.

AS 15W-50 SS.

I will try to oxidize some camguard and see what happens.

Last edited:
I would think the Aeroshell would give more deposits from the phosphorus content. You can try switchimg to Phillips 20W-50 and see what happens. And you will save yourself some money.

Do you add additional Camguard when you add makeup oil?

Ed

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'm running Camguard at the proper ratio in various aircraft. In my personal Cessna (200HP IO360) I'm discovering excessive spark plug deposits all of a sudden. It coincides with my use of Camguard.

The deposits are located deep inside the lower plugs, not near the electrode, but down inside, by the insulator. They are brown/tan in color, looking kind of like dried dirt. They are not "rock hard" like carbon and lead deposits. They can easily be picked out by a piece of safety wire or paper clip. The deposits are chunky in nature and are quite large. I can easily break up the chunks and it looks like dust/dirt.

My best guess is that since my engine consumes about 1 quart in 4-6 hours, I'm seeing the additive in Camguard forming this deposit. By 10 hours, the lower plugs are full of deposits. Weird... They don't seem to affect how it runs.

I have not changed oil brand, type or viscosity. Nor have I changed any other parameters. A quick look inside the cylinder reveals nothing unusual.

The only thing you don't mention for a variable is the type of operation--have you been flying at lower altitudes with a richer mixture, or doing a lot of pattern work? I do a lot of low-power loitering for hours on end and I lean aggressively up to a point, but I'm consistent--never had deposit problems, but I don't use Camguard either and I have never had an oil-related failure. Just food for thought. . .

No change in flying habits. I generally fly 7500 to 9500 feet, cross country. I don't fly lean of peak, as the Thunder Cardinal won't maintain altitude with reduced power. Generally peak power is used (which ain't much, 65% or less)

Ed, since my last OC, I've not added any oil in 10 hours. It's about time to. So, I'll make sure to add CG at the proper ratio.

Last edited:
I still have not flown enough to build up any deposits, about 2 hours total since plug cleaning. Ed, I have not forgotten your offer of deposit analysis. If I end up putting some hours in, I'll get you a sample right away.

Stand by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back