Camcorder Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wedding coming up so looking to get a camcorder.

Looking for 1080p or 1080i/good low light/good amount of optical zoom.

Price range is around $ 500-800.

Thanks

I'm looking for one too, but my price range is BITOG cheap. I mean "cheap, cheap, cheap."
lol.gif

More like $200.

If for just a wedding, see if you can rent or "borrow" one from one of your friends. Trust me, you won't use it as much as you think you will once you buy one and the wedding is over.

You can also "borrow" from the store if you are willing to pay the restocking fee (15% last time I check).

I "rented" a projector for my wedding because this is cheaper than renting from the equipment rental agents and have better image quality.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
If for just a wedding, see if you can rent or "borrow" one from one of your friends. Trust me, you won't use it as much as you think you will once you buy one and the wedding is over.

I agree, I have two camcorders and have used them maybe a total of 15 minutes each. If you don't have a young, growing family, camcorders seem to just gather dust and on the rare occasion when you DO need one, the battery is always dead!

Don't spend your all your money on the camcorder at this point. Get experience first. I would suggest getting the Canon ZR960. It is a miniDV camcorder which will allow you to easily upload and edit your video on MovieMaker (PC) or iMovie on Apple. The ZR960 also allows you to use an external microphone, one of the few at that price that do.

It'll be a tad more expensive, but try to make sure it has 3 CCD's instead of the (cheaper) 1. The larger the CCD, the better: Cheap ones will be 1/3" or perhaps smaller.

For HD cameras, pay attention to what format and codec the camera will use, too. You'd hate to get locked into a codec for which there are few editing solutions.

If it's for a single event, though? Rent one.

me too. just had a baby girl on 12/1. I went cheap and got a $150 HD pocket camcorder. I filmed 2 hrs on it and haven't picked it up since. I figured I would spend a ton of money and hardly use it which has been the case. back in the 90's, I spent almost $400 on a sony camcorder, I used it less than ten times and never used it again. I always thought I was gonna film a ton of stuff and never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back