Camaro SS engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all,

I'm thinking about getting a Camaro SS with the six liter engine. Does this engine have "engine displacement" where the eight cylinder becones a four cyliner when cruising on the highway like my 09' Impala SS???

Durango

Only the automatic does. It has the L99 while the manual comes with the LS3. Both are 6.2 liter engines with similar horsepower, but the LS3 has a tad more.

aquariusm,

Thank you for your reply:) I was just wondering/comparing cars cuz the Dodge Challenger SRT with the 392 Hemi has engine displacement like my Impala SS has.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Only the automatic does. It has the L99 while the manual comes with the LS3. Both are 6.2 liter engines with similar horsepower, but the LS3 has a tad more.

Just run it through for we idiots: Are either of these "Corvette engines?" I ALWAYS hear some Camaro people say "It's got the Corvette engine." TrueFalse?

Yep, it does have engine displacement, just like every other ICE ever made.

Just as Einstein once said, "there is no replacement for displacement."

And then, even more important, a quote from Abraham Lincoln: "Gooooooooogle"

Camaro/late Trans Am and Impala SS owners always say "my car has the Corvette motor".

really they have almost a Corvette motor since the best is always saved for the top model Corvette. The 5.7 L98 350 was in the Corvette and offered in later models F-cars but with less power. The LT1 - same thing, less power BUT the Corvette also had 4 bolt main vs F-car's 2-bolt so that was positively NOT an exact Corvette motor in the F-car. And, today's Camaro is the same thing..very close but with minor differences and a tad less power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Just as Einstein once said, "there is no replacement for displacement."

And then, even more important, a quote from Abraham Lincoln: "Gooooooooogle"

In 1987, I proved to many a big block V8 driver that Einstein was wrong with my Turbo Buick Grand National walking away from them.

Last edited:

ok smarty pants, we all knew he meant, variable displacement, or, cylinder de-activation, you didn't have to make a smarmy correction.
instead you could have just said "I think you mean variable displacement"

Sorry, I'm celebrating Tet, and am in a punchy, silly mood tonight.

My silliness didn't stem from his mispelling of the technology, but the fact that he quoted it in his OP, as if it were a colloquialism for the tech.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

ok smarty pants, we all knew he meant, variable displacement, or, cylinder de-activation, you didn't have to make a smarmy correction.

Hi guys,

Yes this is exactly what I meant. The reason I wanted to know is that when I needed a car from my parents to ride in I wanted to get the Impala SS with the 5.3 liter engine. Going to the insurance company they told me despite the fact it was labeled "SS" and it had a 5.3, V-8 engine it wasn't considered to be a sports car. I beleive because it had cylinder-de-activation the insurance company consider it a common car.

Now I need another to be used for my wife too use she wants a Camaro SS and so I had wondered once again if the Camaro would be considered to be a sports car for sure because it's considered to be a coupe even though it had an automatic and cylinder de-activation.

Durango

Insurance companies probably don't care about the engine per se only the model. A Camaro with a 4 cylinder hybrid engine would probably still be considered a sports model. I knew someone who bought an '88 Fiero when new with a 2.5 Tech 4 (Iron duke) 90 hp and a 3 speed auto, and the insurance rate on it as high or higher than a V8 Camaro.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Durango

Hi guys,

Yes this is exactly what I meant. The reason I wanted to know is that when I needed a car from my parents to ride in I wanted to get the Impala SS with the 5.3 liter engine. Going to the insurance company they told me despite the fact it was labeled "SS" and it had a 5.3, V-8 engine it wasn't considered to be a sports car. I beleive because it had cylinder-de-activation the insurance company consider it a common car.

Now I need another to be used for my wife too use she wants a Camaro SS and so I had wondered once again if the Camaro would be considered to be a sports car for sure because it's considered to be a coupe even though it had an automatic and cylinder de-activation.

Durango

My 2013 Camaro SS with a manual is the same insurance wise as what I'm paying for my 2002 Silverado Z71 extended cab. I even checked with my insurance as to what a CTS-V would be and it was the same. Where my insurance would change is when I got a Corvette. I'm with Farm Bureau. What I did was found VIN numbers from online and asked my insurance what it would be to insure me. I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in as well.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Originally Posted By: Durango

Hi guys,

Durango

My 2013 Camaro SS with a manual is the same insurance wise as what I'm paying for my 2002 Silverado Z71 extended cab. I even checked with my insurance as to what a CTS-V would be and it was the same. Where my insurance would change is when I got a Corvette. I'm with Farm Bureau. What I did was found VIN numbers from online and asked my insurance what it would be to insure me. I guess it depends on what part of the country you live in as well.

Insurance rates can be confusing sometimes. My Focus is a few more dollars to insure than our Fusion, even though it's 4 years older, worth less, smaller, less powerful, etc. However, the Fusion does have a better safety rating, which could make up for that difference.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

Bottom_Feeder,

Thank you that's exactly what I needed to know.

Right now my 01' Durango might be heading for the glue factory cuz even though it has just slightly less that 100K the repairs on this truck appear to be getting higher that ever before. Every time it needs a semi serious service they need to always order parts from back east and that means taking the truck for repair twice instead of one.

Currntly the wife is driving my Impala SS and if she gets what she wants (Camaro SS) then I can get rid of the Dodge and start driving the Impala with a wheel up-grade.....she can't park with a darn and has jacked-up the nice shiney SS wheels at a cost of $800/each. In addition, she has to park as close as possible to shop and the front and rear bumpers needs a re-painting too! If I get the chance these items needs fixing.

OH well in about maybe three months or so I'll head to the insurance company and ask how much will all this cost me if per year. I figure if I had engine de-activation the actual yearly cost might not be so bad IF I decide to give her a new car and I get the clunker. Not that I'm saying the Impala is a junker. It just needs better care than my wife can give.

Durango

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Camaro/late Trans Am and Impala SS owners always say "my car has the Corvette motor".

really they have almost a Corvette motor since the best is always saved for the top model Corvette. The 5.7 L98 350 was in the Corvette and offered in later models F-cars but with less power. The LT1 - same thing, less power BUT the Corvette also had 4 bolt main vs F-car's 2-bolt so that was positively NOT an exact Corvette motor in the F-car. And, today's Camaro is the same thing..very close but with minor differences and a tad less power.

True, but in the early C5/4th gen f bodies' LS1s, they were about as close as is possible, save for different exhaust manifolds, and the vettes not having an EGR system.
wink.gif

BTW; it is probably more because it is a FWD, 4 door sedan (albeit a V-8 'performance model'), as to WHY insurance companies would charge less for it, than it having displacement on demand/active cylinder management.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Insurance companies probably don't care about the engine per se only the model. A Camaro with a 4 cylinder hybrid engine would probably still be considered a sports model. I knew someone who bought an '88 Fiero when new with a 2.5 Tech 4 (Iron duke) 90 hp and a 3 speed auto, and the insurance rate on it as high or higher than a V8 Camaro.

Not true. With the mustang, when we had our V6 version, it wasn't considered a sports car because it had the V6 and so the insurance was a lot cheaper than it would have been with the GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back