Camaro owners-help me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just got back from the autoshow and I've got the fever.

My mid-life crisis has turned to convertibles. I'm 6'-5" so my #1 option is fitting in the car. #2 is as much sportiness as I can afford. I fit in the Camaro. I love it's lines, especially with the top down. I've settled on the following spec:

Camaro convertible 2SS; 6MT; white with gray racing stripes (ala Corvette 60th Anny package); RS package; short shift kit; 8 to 4 exhaust; windscreen, prem mats, cargo net.

I'm in love.

Camaro owners: help me with pros and cons, must have options, service tips, favorite Dexos oils...everything.

Well, I'm the guy who posted about the perfect car being 3000 lbs, 300 HP and $30,000. Unfortunately it doesn't exist. On my test drive today, I discovered that 4000 lbs with 426 HP ain't so bad.

BTW, it looks GREAT WI the top down.

Last edited:
The Camaro is based on a Holden platform, Monaro and Vauxhall VXR and is actually pretty good chassis wise.

Personally I would get an auto as I think it fits the character a little better.

It is a large car and more of a long distance cruiser as the vehicle it was based on was. A big mile muncher.

Honestly...at this point, I think I would rather have a Mazda Miata than a new Camaro. (Too bad they dropped the MazdaSpeed turbo Miata...) The new Camaro is an overweight whale!

The Challenger is just as heavy...but at least it's a substantially larger car.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Honestly...at this point, I think I would rather have a Mazda Miata than a new Camaro. (Too bad they dropped the MazdaSpeed turbo Miata...) The new Camaro is an overweight whale!

We get it you don't like it...Seems it does just fine every where else.
33.gif
40.gif

Now the 6 speed car has a very nice Transmission.
If you go with the auto it is not to shabby either.
Just depends on what you want to live with everyday.

As you know it is an LS based engine. They have gobs of torque and are VERY reliable. MPGs are not horrible.
Despite being a large car, they do well at the track (corners and straight) and stop very good. The 2014 has some updates and is a very good performer. Mobil 1 Dexos approved works fine in these.

Why not find low mile 4th gen? 98-02. LS powered and much lighter. 300+ horses pretty good fuel economy and the Camaro and Grans Am are sexy. LOTS of aftermarket parts. You can out perform a newer Camaro for cbeap. Shoot i bet you can find a gently used C6 for the price of a new Camaro.

Or you could wait til the next gen camaro which I believe is going to be based on the ats chassis

See post 1, option 1. Miata doesn't qualify. Nor do C6 or C7 Corvettes.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

33.gif
40.gif

As you know it is an LS based engine. They have gobs of torque and are VERY reliable. MPGs are not horrible.
Despite being a large car, they do well at the track (corners and straight) and stop very good. The 2014 has some updates and is a very good performer. Mobil 1 Dexos approved works fine in these.

I'm an MT kind of guy. Add in 26 HP more and NO CYLINDER DEACTIVATION and there's no choice.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

33.gif
40.gif

I'm an MT kind of guy. Add in 26 HP more and NO CYLINDER DEACTIVATION and there's no choice.

Indeed. It is nice that 6 speed LC cars come with the MDS disabled. Note that all the same hardware is in place, the engine is identical...

I couldn't ever imagine owning one, but it is YOUR call; if that's what floats your boat, buy it!!!

I took a look at a row of Camaros at the local dealer awhile back. Sitting side by side-a 4 cylinder for $24K and the 'big boy' V8 for $48k=yup, twice the price-options can sure add up but never seen such before. Hard to figure a 4 cyl in that car. There was also a V6 engine available. Dan Mpls. Mn.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Seen a lot of Camaros, but I have never seen a 4 banger in one!

I haven't seen a four-pot either.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Or you could wait til the next gen camaro which I believe is going to be based on the ats chassis

Yes, and hopefully it will silence all of the weighty/porker critics of the 5th gen (myself included
wink.gif
).

Just think, 28.
crazy2.gif

I'll believe it when I see it. I expect the next Camaro to be every bit the bloated porker the current one is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back