***Calling all Chem. Engineers*** Gas Rejuvenation with Butane/Propane procedure????

I really can't say if adding methanol to fuel is discussed much here as a combustion modifier. Personally I would not knowingly add methanol to my gas tank because it has very poor solubility in gasoline relative to ethanol and isopropyl alcohol. Since 99+% of the time I run the E10 gas in my vehicles, I typically do not add any water absorbers to my gas tank unless it's raining cats & dogs when I fill up and the wind is directing the rainfall into the area of the open fuel filler neck.

There isn't a single carmaker that recommends methanol any more. I went through the manual of my 1989 vehicle, and the fuel recommendations were for 86 [(R+M)/2] octane regular, and no more than 15% MTBE, 10% ethanol, or 5% methanol (but only if it included corrosion inhibitors). However, it's not clear what happens if there's only some fuel with methanol, and whether or not lower concentrations effectively work when scaled down due to dilution - i.e. if half a tank fill uses maximum methanol with the reduced concentration of corrosion inhibitor.

Thanks Chemman. and everyone here........I got a lot of work ahead of me..
....my nerves are totally shot, and I think I need a script for Xanax!!!!!

Any Dr's in the house! LoL.....
Sorry to hear about your medical problems but medical discussions are discouraged here on BITOG for various reasons as discussed here:

...So.......Back to regular programming.

...I never got to join-up with the Dyson Analysis before he went totally out of business, and getting access to his "Dyson Secret Fuel Mix"......I wonder if in this instance it could help with water and clean the fuel system & combustion chambers.
Anyone????? Any hints????...
Since Dyson was not a chemist I doubt it would help with moisture reduction and few other problems.

Thanks Chemman. and everyone here........I got a lot of work ahead of me..
....my nerves are totally shot, and I think I need a script for Xanax!!!!!

Any Dr's in the house! LoL.....

Maybe I missed this but did you say the car won't currently run with the old gas in it? Maybe you don't need to do anything other than putting some fresh gas in it.

well, this post got emotional

.....actually no, it should run.......it's just been sitting in a parking garage, near the humid ocean for 2.5yrs. which really took it's toll on the outside with salt/air & bad humidity. It's got about 15gal of gas in it, (but it was fueled in Vegas then shipped to me), so at least it was dry where it was fueled. I know I need to take a fuel sample just to look at it.......who knows what's in this gas-tank from Vegas....maybe a note of the exact location of where Jimmy Hoffa is buried! LoL......

AND NOW, my other Cadillac that's been sitting for about 10yrs won't start and I don't hear the fuel-pump running. That car had a new Delco pump put in back around the 2001 after the Fuel Sulfur Crisis along with a new sending unit. I'll never forget that day I was stranded walking a few miles in a monsoon to get gas when my gauge read full. So that car has either an electrical problem - hopefully a fuse/relay. I got out my service-manuals to trace it but really needed just to find the fuel-pump over-ride plug to see if the pump will run, or that pump is seized, however, that car was fueled with 90 REC fuel (no ethanol) in 2017 after Hurricane Irma when I returned, and now my condo want's to tow it just to stick it to me....knowing I'm struggling.

I'm just not physically able to really drain either tanks, and deal with not knowing what to do with or lugging around a few 5gal containers (15-20gal of old gas) and no place to store it since I'm in a apt. building.

I'm not to old me who'd be dealing with it the right way & solve this problem in 1 hr or less.......not in years.

IF I decide to run this tank-out, I'd like to also add a "fuel system lubricant" to maybe protect THIS fuel-pump ..., but don't want to defeat the recommendations to use I.P.A. and not have it absorb/mix with any existing water.

Are there any "fuel system lubricants", or are these all Upper Cylinder Lubricants like :
MMM, Seafoam, Lukus, (I did find a few 6yr old bottles of SL-1 I had).

I just got off the phone with DAVE at Redline....they make a non-IPA fuel system "dispersent" (won't tell me what it is), but he said it will only probably disperse 2oz of water per 5gal of fuel. I'm thinking on combining the HEET with this Redline since he said it has a fuel system lubricant and mix only 2oz to 10gal max......

Any more thoughts on a fuel system lube to add or not?????

Here's one of my Life-Crisis Side stories......"Fuel Related" LoL:

I'll have to tell everyone a story, if it's o.k. I had to haul-butt outta here in 2017 with Hurricane IRMA approaching fast, and got up to the Auto-Train to escape Fl. to go north....I was in a panic since we were supposed to get a direct hit, but didn't!!!!!!!!!!

There was a gas shortage, but it was a miracle I was able to get 5 - 5gal of gas strapped to the trunk of a rental-car, and a few smaller gas cans also in case I ran out of gas sitting on I-95 during the evacuation. That's what happens. Made it to Sanford Fl., no traffic, got on the AMTRAK AutoTrain, and just gave-away about $150 in gas to some needy people up there since I couldn't leave it strapped to the trunk when they loaded this car onto the car-carrier train-car, so there also went my life-time of $200 of gas cans we all collect.......now I need all those gas-cans in case I need to drain these tanks.........

Moral to this story, Nice Guys Finish Last........who got problems with GAS!!!! ....and then-some LoL.......

Last edited:
I feel like you are overthinking this. If it will start up, then drive it to the gas station, fill it up up with premium and go for a long cruise.

Sadly, I can't drive it......no tags/registration/insurance. I was just going to idle the gas out. I really know I need to drain this tank, and I need to at least take a sample to look at it. It's really a bad situation I'm in with this car, and it's close to being towed also by these condo-creeps. Thing are not sunny in Flor'Dah.

.....up to this point, I have to thank everyone for their patience with my situation and reading thru my saga & hardships.
The "Mod's" even gave me a warning.

Should I now start a new thread.
"HOW TO UN-SEIZE, A SEIZED FUEL-PUMP FROM OLD GAS WITH A CHEMICAL TREATMENT"...?

Yehp......but this is now regarding my old 91' Brougham that's in really bad shape, & now has a seized pump which I suspected.
I checked the fuse/swapped relays, and when I put 12V to the pump over-ride test-plug-pigtail, I can hear a very faint single little "ooomph" in the tank every time I give it 12v.

Unbelievable.

And that car ran in 2017 but it wouldn't start since the fuel level was too low, and my digital display went out for the gas gauge.
So in 2017 I remember that I got 5 gal of 90 Sunoco Non-Ethanol, since I knew it was going to sit , and so it sat for 4yrs.... "GO FIGURE" ,............. and here I was worried about my 90' Brougham with possible ethanol fuel/bad gas. I can't trust what they put in the tank before I bought that 90 Brougham, but maybe that car-museum hopefully put in a fuel stabilizer.
So, "We'll See.......says the ZenMaster" ~Harry Wilson's War~.

Anyway, I'll have to check the weather-pack connector for the fuel-pump which is right behind the fuel-door and is easily accessible. (I'm hoping the pin's are just corroded). I should probably back-probe the wires for a voltage drop or something like that.......I can't remember how to do it. I'm also re-charging the battery, and will try to do this again with the charger set on high-amperage to give the pump some extra-voltage. The more I think about his, I'm gonn'a try to put 12v directly to the harness plug that goes into the tank, to eliminate all external circuit/body grounds & 12v feeds.

I also beat on the tank with a hammer while I had 12v applied to the pump-over-ride, - and nothing.
That's all I could physically do and I'll be out-of commission now for a week or more over just this......

Any recommendations of what I can "juice" the tank with to try to un-seize the pump????....if that's at all possible..?

Maybe back to some B12 in a gal of gas?
Along with a Gal. of PB-Blaster!!!!!!
I also got's KREEN!!!!!!!
Or should just mix myself a cocktail of all 3 & have a Cig,....... & I don't even smoke!

Such a puny-problem I could easily deal with in the past, is now a huge ordeal for me.

In the words sung by Toby Keith:
~"I Ain't as Good as I Once Was"~ ......i'm worse!!!!!!!! LoL...........

Sorry to All & the Mods for my life-fuel-crisis's.

Last edited:
Back