Calling all 2.7 Ecoboost owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually like this design. It's really easy to take on and off and no over torquing necessary as it snaps right into place. I've never heard of one breaking. I'll probably pick one up now just to have around. I usually replace the metal drain plugs on my cars after a few years, so why not the same for this one?

I've found an oil change with the plastic plug to be easy to do. I'm a long time member of 3 F150 forums and this is the 1st time I've read about one of the plastic drain plugs breaking. I bought a pair of Ford replacement plugs (Amazon) and switched my original one out on the 1st oil change after my truck crossed the 50,000 mile mark. The original plug/o-ring was not leaking. About the time I ordered the replacement plugs I found that the OEM green o-ring is a #208. Doing it again, I'd simply find a source for the o-ring and replace it from time to time and keep using the plastic body. I have a thread over on F150forum.com detailing a 2016 2.7 F150 a friend of mine has that is approaching 350,000 miles. Pat says he's replaced his 3 times and only when he was told it was leaking at oil change time.
There are lots of plastic parts on today's engines. To me, it's a non-issue.

I wrote too soon. I changed the oil today and noticed that one of the tabs had a crack on it. Did not affect the seal but I went ahead and bought a new plug. I too will keep a spare on hand for cheap insurance. I may not have noticed this. Thanks to the OP for raising this issue.

Last edited:
The OEM/factory plug has just the fin. The replacements have the 3/8" square drive. The problem is that the plastic oil pans tend to leak at the RTV seal. Ford's solution on the trucks was to go back to aluminum on the 3.5 and 5.0 engines, I think they kept it plastic on the 2.7/3.0 EcoBoost.

I've asked before in other threads, what specific problem is being solved by going to the ronin. I can buy 26 spare plugs for the price if the ronin. (And I will fully agree there are some configurations where this plug can make a mess and understand that scenario).

In the meantime, I'm still using the original plug and have a spare on hand for my 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back