Called an oil service shop with a "Full Line of Chevron Products"-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waste of time. I waited five minutes until she could determine if they sold synthetics, no. Asked of they had Delo 400 10w-30, you can guess what the answer was.
frown.gif

ssmokn, I would like to try the 0W-30 Chevron myself. It is rated pretty highly. But I just have not been able to find it, not even at this place that carries all kinds of Chevron motor oils. I think the Chevron 0W-30 would be great at least for the wintertime. A person could use Chevron conventional the rest of the year, or maybe use the Chevron 0W-30 throughout the year.

Mystic, Parman lubricants is the distributor for Chevron products in TN. They usually have a retail window at their distribution points. Give Chevron a call and see who's the local distributor and ask them if you can purchase directly from them. I'm sure they'll have or can easily procure any of Chevron's oils for you...

[ March 27, 2004, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

Junkie, was this a garage which used Chevron ... or an actual oils & lubricants distributor?
confused.gif

If it was an honest-to-goodness distributor and not just some garage which has a Chevron sign outside their business, I'd write Chevron a nasty letter telling them what a sucky experience you had with one of their dealers.
tongue.gif

It'd be interesting to see what kind of response you get.
wink.gif

You guys who have visited a local distributor which will sell retail, have you tried ordering the odd weights? I know I'd lean on them sumthin' fierce.
mad.gif

But I'm loaded to the gills with Schaeffer right now and have no need to pursue these mythical weights and oils.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thanks ToyotaNSaturn. I will see what I can find out. I have heard some talk here at this web site that the 0W-30 Chevron is really great, and not just in the wintertime. I prefer using the viscosities that are allowed in the owner's manual and the only ones allowed in my manual are 5W-30 (preferred), 0W-30 (in extreme cold), and 10W-30 (only if 5W-30 cannot be located and if the temperatures are warm enough).

I would like to use the 0W-30 Chevron, if I could find it, at least
in the wintertime. Maybe I would use it all year but the rest of the year I could use 5W-30 Chevron or maybe 10W-30 Chevron in the summertime.

same with Chevron High Mileage oils!!

right now I have GC in my T-bird, but after my UOA with it, if I decide to change, Chevron HM is what I'd like to try next, but I haven't found this oil anywhere, either!
We don't have Kragen/Checkers here in east TN, and Walmart/AZ/AAP don't have it!
Not even Havoline HM oils!

...May be I should call Chevron and see if they can help me locate some.

"...May be I should call Chevron and see if they can help me locate some."

Maybe, if you find an eager dealer who is interested in possibly drop-shipping all over North America, you could talk one into being a sponsoring dealer on this site?
wink.gif

Lots of interest in the products but so far no one has stepped up to the plate.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

I was really looking for the Delo 10w-30, 0w-30 would be interesting though. Chevron HM would be do-able, but currently pumping the GTX HM into a bunch of cars. I am not really outraged about them not having what I inquired about, but could they have offered to order it? Their Yellow Pages ad did say "Full Line of Chevron Lubricating Products". I can get the Supreme at WalMart. Maybe Chevron would be helpfull if I told them about my experience.
dunno.gif

There is a place near me that sells Chevron motor oils. They had a change of management a while back and went from Baldwin filters to Wix filters. But they still sell Chevron motor oil. They are pretty knowledgeable but they do not have the 0W-30 Chevron that some people at this web site talk about. It is supposed to be full synthetic and I was going to try it for the wintertime. They do have 5W-30 Chevron Synthetic.

Otherwise it is somewhat hard to find Chevron motor oil around here. About the only other place besides the one I mentioned is Checker Auto Parts. I have not found Chevron at Wal-Mart Stores. You can find Havoline there which is supposed to be very similar if not the same oil.

I live literally one minute from the local Chevron and Mobil distributor (they carry both lines).

I have checked a couple of times with different people there and unfortunately they have NEVER carried the Delo 10W30 or the Arctic 0W30. If they had the 0W30 (which is PAO) that would probably be my high end synthetic of choice.

I guess they don't carry it because they don't get much call for it. Oh well! The Delo 15W40 is still a winner!

Obviously any distributor should avoid the use of the term "complete line". Chevron has some 700 different products. Maybe marketing assumes they know it all.
Each distributor, or retail outlet carries what he thinks will sell in his area. I would be crazy to stock any 0W-X products, as it took me years to get people to accept 5W-30 and now 5W-40. I don't carry the Delo 10W-30 because still half of the market in the country uses SAE 40 and SAE 50 even at -20 C in diesels. They believe in viscosity. I don't carry 10W-40 because I see no advantage to it over Delo 15W-40. I won't stock 10W-30 after I sell my existing stock (4 years old). I would stock the high mileage oils but they only offer them to certain distribuitors and I'm not one of the chosen few.
But then I do stock over a hundred gear oils, turbine oils, hydraulic oils, etc. Viscosity anywhere from 15 cSt to 16,000 cSt, from group I to group V, plus dozens of greases.

The distributor near me is not a retail operation. If they have what your looking for (and most of the time they do) they will sell retail over the counter (cash or check only). They won't special order for me.

I used to buy there all the time because they were cheaper than the retail stores. Now I only go there for stuff I can't find at the local stores where I shop (Delvac 1 and Chevron Mercon V mostly) because they are no longer price competitive with the large discount auto parts stores and discount stores like Walmart.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
"...May be I should call Chevron and see if they can help me locate some."

Maybe, if you find an eager dealer who is interested in possibly drop-shipping all over North America, you could talk one into being a sponsoring dealer on this site?
wink.gif

Lots of interest in the products but so far no one has stepped up to the plate.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

---------------
Bror jace,
I really am going to call them very soon, and if they direct me to a dealer/distributor, and if I talk to him/her, I certainly would ask about becoming a sponsor for BITOG.

Junkie, yes, I would think that they should offer to order something ... provided you left a deposit or even pre-paid for it if you are a new customer and/or your order was small (1-2 cases of oil).

When I worked (briefly) for G.E. in their silicones operation, we had some neat automotive products including an RTV gasket-maker whioch used an aerosol can and was really easy to use ... especially if you were just doing a small job.

However, we could NOT get the product out to dealers easily and I'm pretty sure the product ("One-Touch") has been phased out. The distribution system was a nightmare and it cost us sales.

However, that was in the late 80s and I'd like to think even poorly run corporations have their act together better than that by now.
rolleyes.gif

widman, I know you wouldn't stock everything Chevron makes ... but wouldn't you try to order case loads of a product for a paying cutomer? I just don't see why turning that business down makes any sense in this day and age ... unless there's a problem with the company's distribution system.

And even if you have troubles with doing special orders located in Bolivia, what excuse would an American dealer in the 'lower 48' have?

ssmokn, I know by the size of your hoarde that you are a bargain hunter ... and that's fine, but if you or anyone else here wants something a little special which is not available everywhere, you should be willing to pay an additional $0.20-0.30 per quart. This is actually true for most products WalMart carries, I just hate shopping there ... period.
tongue.gif

'Bird, thanks. Keep us posted.
cheers.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

widman, I know you wouldn't stock everything Chevron makes ... but wouldn't you try to order case loads of a product for a paying cutomer? I just don't see why turning that business down makes any sense in this day and age ... unless there's a problem with the company's distribution system.

I've gotta agree with your
confused.gif
attitude toward this. I couldn't find Mobil 1 ATF anywhere. No one stocked it. My mom's mechanic, a former Mobil station operator, didn't even know it existed. I finally found the manager at one of the local retail outlets and after talking with her for a few minutes she agreed to order it in for me. When I wanted to buy Mobiltrans (since my AX15 requires GL3 spec fluid and the dealer charges $15/quart) I called the regional distribution center and they agreed to sell me the 5 gallon bucket of the stuff (@$105).

So my question to widman is: Although it would be cost prohibitive to stock all 700 products ...surely you have the capability to order all 700 products, correct?? Are you some how penalized (or rewarded) for a volume in a given line. That is, is one case of something going to cost you more "per case" than if you order a gross (or whatever is the next "lot")???

FWIW....All 3 of the Wal-Marts that I frequently vist carry Chevron Supreme 5w-30 and 10w-30. Though youd better hope that someone didnt buy enough for a change right before you, because they generally only keep 6-8 qts. in stock it seems. I will be buying this oil next time I go.
They sell it for $1.14/qt. which I feel is a great price.

thse wal-marts are in southern/southeastern New Hampshire.

It might be hard finding Chevron 0w30. It was designed for arctic conditions. Stores that stock Chevron products up here do not sell Delo 0w30. I can get it only from local oil jobbers.
I do not think the demand is high enough to stock in the lower 48.

[ March 29, 2004, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: pepper32 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back