Call me crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed to the Schaeffers Supreme 7000 5W-30 in both of my Hondas last weekend and I may be crazy but I swear both of the vehicles are running quieter and the Accord I drive every day truly seems to be running smoother. Big difference on cold starts for sure. I guess if I am not full of sh#t I should definitely see an increase in mileage as well.

Sign me crazy, curious, and satisfied to this point.

I noticed my Firebird's LT1 engine ran smoother (especially after a cold start) on this stuff than it did on Maxlife 10w30. I wasn't sure if it was for real or if I just imagined it. Seems I'm not the only one who noticed it!

quote:

CRAZY!!!

I just switched to Amsoil, and now I get better radio reception!! Plus my left rear tire filled itself up!!
lol.gif

Joking aside, it may just may be the placebo effect. Since using Amsoil, I "feel" like my car runs better.......but I'm sure it's just my brain...proud of the expert installation of that sweet synthetic honey!!
smile.gif

Then again...you might just be right!!
patriot.gif

you'd be surprised as to how many times I hear this.. Some even back it up with actual mile differences with the on board computers.

The best story I've heard was this...

a mechanic/owner of a jag repair shop was telling me how consumer reports stated that duralube was the best on the market and such so after showing him some things he decided to give it a try.

Him and his wife were taking a trip the next day during the 4th of july up to NC, So he brought his wifes jimmy in, and changed the oil, nothing else.

On the way, his wife finally took over the drive and after a few moments, she looked at him and made this comment which at that point convinced him. And I quote " This is the best tune up you've ever done on this. Its running better than it ever has."

On that same trip, what normally takes 2 tanks of fuel to get up there and 2 to come back was now only 1.5 tanks each way.

He's now been buying it for all of his vehicles including the tranny fluid for his mercedes and of course recommending it to all of his clients.

What really amazed me as to how many women can tell the difference. Had another guys wife made some comments the other week. The interesting thing was he only topped her oil off before she went to work as she was a qt low, came back from work and could notice the difference, and wanted him to change all the oil over, so he was at my doorstep buying a full case the next day. He didn't make any comments about a special oil or nothing but yet she could tell.

I could go on, but the point is, I find it interesting how even some women can tell the difference when not ever aware of the actual changes.

Of course I never tell any one this because I don't want people to buy based on some stories and then they are expecting more than they may get. Too many times someone puts a spin on a product and then it fails to meet the customers expectations, So, when I sell it, I sell only on the oil's merits so when they do see these differences they always come tell me, which I think is neat. It really is kind of amazing how many times this happens to me.

[ January 11, 2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Outlaw: What oil did you have in the car before the switch to Schaeffer's? It's very possible that the previous oil was lower in viscosity allowing more noticable piston slap.

On a related note, I used to run Castrol 10W-40 GTX and noticed the engine very smooth and quiet for maybe the first 500-1000mi. This oil sheered back in viscosity to a 30wt so noise would increase with use. I'm up to 3000mi on the Schaeffer's and have noticed no increase in noise since the oil was changed. I'm suspecting it's more stable in regards to viscosity.

quote:

Originally posted by mormit:
Outlaw: What oil did you have in the car before the switch to Schaeffer's? It's very possible that the previous oil was lower in viscosity allowing more noticable piston slap.

On a related note, I used to run Castrol 10W-40 GTX and noticed the engine very smooth and quiet for maybe the first 500-1000mi. This oil sheered back in viscosity to a 30wt so noise would increase with use. I'm up to 3000mi on the Schaeffer's and have noticed no increase in noise since the oil was changed. I'm suspecting it's more stable in regards to viscosity.

I suspect that this maybe one of the main reasons for such but the difference in barrier additives do add to this equation as well IMO.

Without getting into magic or placebo effects, this is normal and should be expected if your previous oil was sheared down. Effects are similar to moving up a grade, without the possible downsides.

It can work both ways though if oil characteristics don't match your engine's needs. For instance, moving from Mobil1 TriSyn 10W30 to Ams series 2000 0W30, my Jeep's 4.0L piston slap increased dramatically. It did not help to exchange two quarts for their 20W50. Considering also that the M1 had sheared to a 20 weight with less noise, something besides viscosity was the problem.

I added Neutra and ran out the Ams as a cleaner. :funeral-dirge: Next batch was Schaeffer's 7000 15W40 which quieted it down nicely.

David

Bob,

My wife has a phd in mechanical engineering and does ballistic missile defense work for the DOD ...she really enjoys comments like yours about women drivers ...
wink.gif

Don't ask me how I know!
frown.gif

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Bob,

My wife has a phd in mechanical engineering and does ballistic missile defense work for the DOD ...she really enjoys comments like yours about women drivers ...
wink.gif

Don't ask me how I know!
frown.gif

Ted

I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes don't think women are as acute to little things as some men are when it comes to direction giving and mechanics. This isn't to say there aren't exceptions as many have shown the ways of my thinking as a BIG error.
shocked.gif

I find myself "testing" the person when giving directions by asking for landmarks.. If they can't tell me street names or landmarks, I am cautious. The last time if ate crow and got on my knees to apologize(yep, I'm BIG about admitting when I'm wrong! and will apologize profusely)was when I went to buy this computer..I found myself wanting to talk with a tech, and she offered but I then decided to get up on a "technical" level with her as I am an electronic component level tech among other things, and went way over her head, so out comes this young guy who I then asked the basic info and she ended up answering all the question with excellent responses and the young guy had no clue. BOY! Talk about screwing up!... I should know better as my wife used to work side by side with me fixing component level on computers and she went through the same and had one that disagreed with her recommendation for repair, he took it home, tried what she said, and came back and gave her 15.00 as a tip and apologized. Go figure.. Ain't figured out why I'm that way..
rolleyes.gif

women are usually very sensitive to nvh issues. i know my wife is irritated by squeaks are rattles when she is test-driving cars.

automakers are making concerted efforts to reduce unpleasant nvh, while improving "engine" sounds (for men) and trunk and door closing noise.

I had been running chevron supreme 10W-30SL at a 5K mile interval (analysis results were posted here) and this time only had 2,700 miles on the chevron when I changed. It has been pretty cold here lately and I just figured why wait since this was one of the reasons I was changing.

Placebo? Maybe, but I don't think so. I am going to check my mileage and see if it improves as well. Regular oil changes in the past have had an almost negligible impact on mileage but I believe there will be a difference this time. It really is running smoother and quieter...maybe it really is impacting the air pressure in my tires as well. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back