Call me crazy: First impressions of 5w20 an a 5w30 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go out to your garage and look at a bottle of the 5w-20. Tell me if it says synthetic on it. If not, I'm right!

quote:

Originally posted by cvl:
Go out to your garage and look at a bottle of the 5w-20. Tell me if it says synthetic on it. If not, I'm right!

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Now I'm confused
confused.gif
If G-Man II's bottles are yellow, they will not say synthetic on them, but, if they are silver with the little pour handle, then they say synthetic all over them. Depends on what product he has. And, G-Man II is correct about the base stocks and the 5W40 European Formula.

I never said that he was incorrect about the base stocks, just about claiming that Group III base stocks were true synthetics.

JUMPING JESUS ON A POGOSTICK!!! G-man says that pennzoil 5w20 is just as quiet as mobil 1 in his engine, and it turns into argueing semantics and wild interpretations, and now arguments on what the term "synthetic" means to pennzoil. Boy did this thread take a turn for the worse.

quote:

Originally posted by cvl:
You're not getting it G-Man. You're the one who said that Pennzoil 5w-20 dino oil does just as good of a job in your engine as Mobil 1 0w-30 synthetic. There's two ways to look at this:

1. Pennzoil 5w-20 is amazing oil since it's as good as Mobil 1 0w-30.

2. Mobil 1 0w-30 is no better than 5w-20 dino oil.

Geez, Louise! Talk about people for whom the concept is unclear. The G-Man II specifically stated that prior to using the Pennzy 5W-20, Mobil 1 0W-40 was the only motor oil that quieted his engine's piston slap. G-Man II went on to state that Pennzy 5W-20 at least equaled that performance.

Hey guys, I'm not trying to start an argument here. I understood and agree with eveything G-Man II said. I just thought there might be some confusion on cvl's part when he said Pennzoil agreed with him. I just wanted to know what that agreement is. If the agreement is that Group III is not synthetic, then cvl is wrong. Pennzoil's synthetic products are Group III.

That's it, just trying to clearify and educate. PEACE
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
I'm experimenting on tuning the sound of my turbo engine by utilising the harmonic dampening characteristics of the Auto-RX maintenance dose in my BP Visco 5000 oil. This is a little known additional feature of RX. I have found that increasing RX from the recommended 3oz or 0.0887206 of a litre to 3.02 oz's or 0.0893121 litres reduces the 3rd harmonic by 0.04 decibels when I change from 1st to 2nd at 6,050 RPM. And thats nearly as good as when I'm using Mobil 1.

Do you ever use a tuning fork on each cylinder at idle speed, then adjust your RX mixture with an eye dropper?

[ December 17, 2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Lubricious ]

quote:

Wrong. You're definition of synthetic is VERY liberal. Most would agree that Group IV and V are synthetics, while Group III (can you say Castrol Syntec 5-50) are not synthetic. Pennzoil agrees with me as well.

Why don't you take a Sharpie down to your local autoparts store and cross out the word Synthetic and scribble DINO on all the bottles?
grin.gif

Group III basestocks won the right to be called synthetic a while back. We all know the story.

G-Man II has less than 2000 miles on this oil. There is no reason why this oil cannot perform well over this short time. Read Johnny's description of it's formulation. It is not a run of the mill cheapo dino.
pat.gif

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
JUMPING JESUS ON A POGOSTICK!!! G-man says that pennzoil 5w20 is just as quiet as mobil 1 in his engine, and it turns into argueing semantics and wild interpretations, and now arguments on what the term "synthetic" means to pennzoil. Boy did this thread take a turn for the worse.

My thoughts exactly. Where's the :shortbus: emoticon when you need it...

wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Now I'm confused
confused.gif
If G-Man II's bottles are yellow, they will not say synthetic on them, but, if they are silver with the little pour handle, then they say synthetic all over them. Depends on what product he has. And, G-Man II is correct about the base stocks and the 5W40 European Formula.

I have looked everywhere for the Penzoil Synthetic 5W20 (Grey bottle with handle) and can not find it... who carries it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back