Call me crazy: First impressions of 5w20 an a 5w30 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by cvl:
You're not getting it G-Man. You're the one who said that Pennzoil 5w-20 dino oil does just as good of a job in your engine as Mobil 1 0w-30 synthetic. There's two ways to look at this:

1. Pennzoil 5w-20 is amazing oil since it's as good as Mobil 1 0w-30.

2. Mobil 1 0w-30 is no better than 5w-20 dino oil.

No, you're not getting it--and you've proved my point. I never said anything about Mobil 1 0w30. I've never used that grade in my van.

G-Man II I understood exactly what you said. And like you, I think Mobil 1 is an excellent product. The formulation has changed a little since I talked to Patman about this. Since the addition of moly, the base stock break down is about 60% Group III and 40% Group II+. We also make a 100% Group III with the same amount of moly in it. That's the product I am using in my Ford year round. It will be interesting to see how this product works in a GM product. Keep the post coming. Have a great holiday season.
cheers.gif

Now I'm tempted to try this in my sunbird 2.0L motor. Do you all think this will be ok since is can get to -35c here?

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
G-Man II I understood exactly what you said. And like you, I think Mobil 1 is an excellent product. The formulation has changed a little since I talked to Patman about this. Since the addition of moly, the base stock break down is about 60% Group III and 40% Group II+. We also make a 100% Group III with the same amount of moly in it. That's the product I am using in my Ford year round. It will be interesting to see how this product works in a GM product. Keep the post coming. Have a great holiday season.
cheers.gif

Thanks Johnny
worshippy.gif

Mark

Did half of you guys even read what G-man or others said before you posted?! Unbelievable.

On another note, I will be interested to see how a UOA on this oil turns out in a GM engine. I would assume pretty good, since Pennzoil seems to have a pretty good track record

quote:

It was obviously a typo. You're still not understanding the logic. Never mind.

What logic?
lol.gif

And BTW, I saw this post before you edited it. "Proven" or "proved" are both gramatically correct, with "proven" being somewhat more archaic.

quote:

I have serious reservations about running any thin oil year round in the heat and humidity of South Carolina, like you are planning to do.

Why not, I just ran my Pennzoil 5W-20 through the summer and it gets a lot hotter here than it does in SC not as humid though, not that humidity matters as much. Here is my UOA http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000801

Johnny,
What is the 100% group III its not available in a 5W-20 is it? The only 5W-20 I can find in the pennzoil is the regular multigrade I haven't seen it in the full synthetic yet.

[ December 16, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: khager ]

Let me walk you through it AGAIN. You claim that the 5w-20 dino oil that you're using now is just as good as the 5w-30 Mobil 1 that you used before. Are you with me so far?

Looked at objectively, you're saying that Mobil 1 5w-30 is no better than 5w-20 dino oil. Get it?

banghead.gif

quote:

Let me walk you through it AGAIN. You claim that the 5w-20 dino oil that you're using now is just as good as the 5w-30 Mobil 1 that you used before. Are you with me so far?

Looked at objectively, you're saying that Mobil 1 5w-30 is no better than 5w-20 dino oil. Get it?

banghead.gif

Please show me where I said the 5w20 is "just as good." All I said was that my engine is just as quiet with this oil, meaning that this oil masks the piston slap just as well as the Mobil 1 did. Only a UOA will determine if the 5w20 Pennzoil performs as well as Mobil 1 in my particular engine.

khager The 100% Group III is our 5W20 Synthetic. I'm not sure where to tell you to find it in Keller, but if you will call our Arlington Branch, they could tell you. Their phone number is, 817-640-1452.

When I worked for Pennzoil in Texas many years ago, North Ft. Worth and Keller were my areas. I don't miss that darn Texas heat at all.

Thanks Johnny,

I haven't looked for the 5W-20 Synthetic lately (didn't know they were making it) but I did about 6 months ago. I will have to keep my eyes open after my case of multigrade runs out, I sure like the idea of a synthetic oil with moly.
Yea I know what you mean by the heat, I stay in the AC most of the time and when I'm outside I'm in the pool.
grin.gif

cvl,

The 5w-20 Pennzoil is not "dino".
pat.gif

It is a pretty robust blend of Group III and Group II+ with a good dose of Moly.

It is a very good product, as is Mobil 1.

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

banghead.gif

I am ABLE to understand what you are saying and agree that the original post is tantamount to saying your point, even if G-man doesn't want to say this.

It is a pretty robust blend of Group III and Group II+ with a good dose of Moly.

What are you talking about, most all oils in the group 1,2,3,4,5 are dino oils or a derivative of. Even that well known Amsoil is dino oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Lubricious:
I am ABLE to understand what you are saying and agree that the original post is tantamount to saying your point, even if G-man doesn't want to say this.

Great minds think alike.

You guys are hilarious.
lol.gif

G-Man,
You might wanna give Bill O'Reilly a call to help you put a stop to the spin here.
smile.gif

This thread is just too funny and it seems some guys either aren't reading carefully or just don't wanna understand.
I have tried Mobil 1, Havoline synthetic (G3 oil), SuperTech and GC and notice no difference whatsoever in sound. It sounds as bad with any oil, no matter the brand.
Rick

PS; Who do you prove you don't have something you never had??
lol.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:
cvl,

pat.gif

It is a very good product, as is Mobil 1.

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Wrong. You're definition of synthetic is VERY liberal. Most would agree that Group IV and V are synthetics, while Group III (can you say Castrol Syntec 5-50) are not synthetic. Pennzoil agrees with me as well.
pat.gif

quote:

Wrong. You're definition of synthetic is VERY liberal. Most would agree that Group IV and V are synthetics, while Group III (can you say Castrol Syntec 5-50) are not synthetic. Pennzoil agrees with me as well.
pat.gif

Baloney. Pennzoil's "Full Synthetic" PCMOs are all Group III based. The only one that has some Group IV in it is their European Formula 5w40, but even that is mostly Group III.

I'm experimenting on tuning the sound of my turbo engine by utilising the harmonic dampening characteristics of the Auto-RX maintenance dose in my BP Visco 5000 oil. This is a little known additional feature of RX. I have found that increasing RX from the recommended 3oz or 0.0887206 of a litre to 3.02 oz's or 0.0893121 litres reduces the 3rd harmonic by 0.04 decibels when I change from 1st to 2nd at 6,050 RPM. And thats nearly as good as when I'm using Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back