Caliper Grease for Dielectric Grease

Wanted some thoughts here. I maintain a fleet of Hyster forklifts running Mitsubishi 4cyl engines. We had run into issues after pressure washing them with moisture in the spark plug cavities causing a misfire. I had been using Silglyde on them and it would be almost crusty when I pulled the coils. Switched over to a blue synthetic caliper grease and the problem has largely disappeared. Any long term issues using caliper grease on these? I figured it's gotta be safe for rubber and can take the heat.

I'm not sure honestly, i went out and bought a jar of the 3M silicone paste from advance auto but it is pricey. My mechanic friend uses Permatex silicone paste and has good luck with it.

Use proper silicone dielectric grease for electrical, not thicker silicone paste, and not caliper grease which is not a "thing", rather an application which several different grease formulations could be marketed towards.

More often than not, if a caliper grease is called that instead of silicone paste, it has some undesirable solids like a metal or ceramic in them which you don't want on electrical connections.

Silglyde is not pure silicone so that is why you may have noticed the difference. Most brake lubes are silicone (Dielectric Grease) based but Silglyde is not.

Sil-Glyde is sold as both a brake lube and dielectric grease. I've been using Dow 111 for both plug boots and brake pin lube(if a special grease isn't called for). The Dow stuff is siloxanes and silica.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Motorcraft XG-3A is listed as a caliper lubricant and dielectric grease.

That was my main reason for going this way. I'm in a town of 1200 people and dielectric grease in any decent quantity has to be ordered. This brush top can will last a long time.

Did you buy a true silicone brake/dielectric product or are you using the "blue synthetic caliper grease" you stated in your original post?

Sil-Glyde is a castor oil based lube with a trivial amount of silicone in it. AGS markets a separate grease for dielectric use.

Back