Caliper Bracket issues

Working on a 2012 Corolla today. It kinda brought up some common issues i've been seeing.

I blame everything on rust being in the rust belt BUT... i was wondering what the cause and simple solutions everyone has been doing.

Last two Toyotas I've worked on had a rubber ring/isolator at the end of one of the slide pins. All of them were completely swollen and made it nearly impossible to get off. The Corolla was a struggle to get it off but it worked, the Camry before this had a ripped boot and was seized, had to get a new bracket.

I personally like to use Sly glide but someone recently gave me a can of CRC brake grease (black tar) so I've been using that.

1. WHat is the purpose of the rubber ring at the end? Why only one 1 bolt and not the other. Seeing as how other manufacturers don't have them i didn't reinstall them.
2. Why is it completely swollen?
3. I used a big drill bit and brake clean to clean up the bore but it's still a little snugger than i like. What are other people using?
4. Why the heck does a front bracket for a corolla cost $46-65. I'm so used to grabbing them at $15-25 a piece.

Just the bracket costs that much? :eek:

You can get an all-new caliper, the entire caliper, for that same price. Raybestos makes all-new non-reman calipers for your Corolla :)

1. WHat is the purpose of the rubber ring at the end? Why only one 1 bolt and not the other. Seeing as how other manufacturers don't have them i didn't reinstall them.

Probably due to NVH. Reducing noise and/or vibrations.

2. Why is it completely swollen?

Likely someone before was using inappropriate chemicals.

3. I used a big drill bit and brake clean to clean up the bore but it's still a little snugger than i like. What are other people using?

Fold some piece of sandpaper tubularly, turn it and back and forth for a minute.

4. Why the heck does a front bracket for a corolla cost $46-65. I'm so used to grabbing them at $15-25 a piece.

Caliper brackets (TRW) for my Mini are twice that money and that's certainly a small car.

Reactions: RAR
lol WHAT? No a drill bit is not an effective way to achieve the smooth bore you should want.

It beats, say not being able to go to work with the vehicle out of commission and becoming homeless, but it's not good.

Abandon all the junk grease, pack them with silicone paste and be done for a long, long time. If I got a brand new (aftermarket or reman would be the case) that had trashy grease, first thing I'd do is use gasoline and a brass brush to clean it all out and then pack with silicone paste. Same applies to trying to reuse the existing calipers, except after a drill bit, they may be troublesome going forward.

I could be misinterpreting what you wrote, nothing like having it in hands in person... but I'm pretty confident about the silicone paste and no drill bits involved, suggestion.

It is common for that bushing to swell, especially if you use anything other than the pink Toyota grease or silicone paste. Definitely avoid the CRC tar. The pins very tightly in these brackets, even under ideal situations.

Buy a new disc brake hardware kit from Carlson and those bushings are included.

It is common for that bushing to swell, especially if you use anything other than the pink Toyota grease or silicone paste. Definitely avoid the CRC tar. The pins very tightly in these brackets, even under ideal situations.

Buy a new disc brake hardware kit from Carlson and those bushings are included.
@The Critic ,Avoid the crc tar because of the thickness or because it’s bad for the parts?

the crc tar is not my personal choice but I got a full can of that and only 1/4 tune of syl glide.

Yep common on these see it all the time. The first time I had to pry one out I was using my huge Craftsman pry bar and the pin flew across the shop after hitting the splash guards luckily no one else was standing there. The bushing came out with it luckily. I’ve never had one come off the pin and get stuck in there. Use Syl-Glide or silicone paste. I have no experience with that CRC black tar but they make good products it’s just probably not for everything and this isn’t something I’d use it on. Had the same issue on my Camry and used Syl-Glide the last few times and have had no issues at all.

Yep common on these see it all the time. The first time I had to pry one out I was using my huge Craftsman pry bar and the pin flew across the shop after hitting the splash guards luckily no one else was standing there. The bushing came out with it luckily. I’ve never had one come off the pin and get stuck in there. Use Syl-Glide or silicone paste. I have no experience with that CRC black tar but they make good products it’s just probably not for everything and this isn’t something I’d use it on. Had the same issue on my Camry and used Syl-Glide the last few times and have had no issues at all.
That pin flew across the alley. Pry bar, channel lock and two people. Kinda wish I had a bench vice. I’m used to Nissan’s and while they might use the rubber end, I don’t see them swelling up.

I might redo both Toyota’s with the sylglide stuff now. My elderly neighbor that I help jump start their car a couple of times bought me that CRC brake grease as a gift. Kinda odd gift but thankful for it.

That pin flew across the alley. Pry bar, channel lock and two people. Kinda wish I had a bench vice. I’m used to Nissan’s and while they might use the rubber end, I don’t see them swelling up.

I might redo both Toyota’s with the sylglide stuff now. My elderly neighbor that I help jump start their car a couple of times bought me that CRC brake grease as a gift. Kinda odd gift but thankful for it.
Yeah. I’ve seen lots of them go flying. That was nice of your neighbors. I never turn down free car stuff LOL. I still have a whole tote of grease that my neighbor gave me I’m slowly but surely using it in my grease guns.

Proper grease and regular inspections are key for trouble free brakes, especially in the rust belt.
My 06 Mazda 3 had all original brake calipers, brackets and guide pins and it spent 11 winters in Ontario before I moved to US. I inspected brakes every spring and lubed the pins as needed with Wurth silicone paste, which is very similar to syl-glide.

You can use the CRC on the ears and under the SS clips. I use Permatex purple there.

Also on the hub.

Back