California to ban plastic bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suits me just fine; I hate those flimsy plastic bags. Before I get a chance to open my mouth and say I don't want the bag, they already have my items in there. I like shopping at Winco; over there you bag your own groceries and you have your choice of paper or plastic. I save my paper bags and use them over and over.

lol your doing too much, though I could understand the use of sturdy cloth bags that are promoted to be used at Trader Joe's around here. Paper just seems to flimsy to me but, that's just me.

I don't think it is a "ban" on all places, just retailers that are not selling food.

You do get 5c for bring in each bag that is used, and you can still buy a paper bag for 10c.

So far I am ok with that, except I have to be frugal about my garbage bag usage and use every bag efficiently.

Wish there was a nationwide ban on disposable plastic items. Just this week a whale died, blocked a navigable river here, they found a dvd case in its stomach.

I try to save and reuse plastic bags. I pick out the biodegradable ones and turn in the rest to recycling collection along with other plastic film packaging. Would be interesting to find out if they are really recycled, but at least I feel better turning them in.

Last edited:
State where my mother lives banned plastic bags...usually ends up us having a trunk full of loose items, as we don't carry re-usable.

being forced to buy single use bags simply to throw out has us annoyed...we use the store bags as rubbish bags. Use the self service checkout, so we minimise the number that we take to meet our rubbish requirement.

I wonder if they are outlawing doggie waste bags as well. Hard enough to get people to pick up with plastic doggie bags.

Smoky

Well the plastic trash is out of control. In the various oceans are vast areas of floating trash, pushed there by wind and currents.

The estimate is 40% of the ocean surface is covered by these areas of trash. Thats 25% of the entire surface of the earth.

They should start with banning Home Depot bags. Those are the thinnest, most flimsy bags.

I'd be kinda sad to see plastic bags go. Work well for picking up after the dog, and for trashcans liners. One of these days I will have to get some reusable bags and store in my vehicles. Wife keeps a set in her car, but I have never bothered, as I don't shop. Supposedly.

I pretty much never ask for paper bags, I figure they take more energy to make, and I don't have a use for paper bags at home.

Local grocery was giving out these cool reusable bags meant for carrying wine bottles. I thought that was kinda cool.

My wife recycles plastic shopping bags taking them back to store. Wal-Mart and most groceries have a recycle bin for them.

First paper bags now plastic bags , What are the wahoo's going to come up with next ? ..... "Plant Bags" Gezz that state is something else .

Good riddance to those things, they have been long gone in a many Euro countries for years now.
They sell reusable thick plastic bags at the register or you just bring your own.
I wish they would put a $.50 deposit on plastic water bottles, it has to be so high to make Americans bring them back, for $.10 many will still throw them in the trash.

I am 100% behind responsible environmental policies like this but these fruitcakes take too far with their agenda driven tripe making anything they want to do seem suspicious.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The estimate is 40% of the ocean surface is covered by these areas of trash. Thats 25% of the entire surface of the earth.

Whose estimate ?

100% of the ocean from Sydney to Hawaii to LA didn't seem to be 40% covered in trash.

That's the macro scale.

Micro scale, the beaches that we went to didn't have 4 square foot in every ten covered in plastic trash

Minneapolis is banning the styrofoam containers you use for take out food... I think most of the metro is looking to go in that direction as well.

We don't have any rules like that, but when I go to DC, I know they surcharge 5c per plastic bag.

I'm not the greatest fan of paper unless it is paper in a plastic bag. That works well, but has both wastes.

I prefer canvas type bags, and our supermarket gives us 5c per bag if they don't have to provide. That's been the case for as long as I remember, at least since the early 90s.

Chicago has banned the chain/franchise stores from using plastic bags starting August 2015. The unintended side-effect is that the chain pharmacy next to my work has removed the plastic bag recycling box, so now I put my Subway and store bags in the trash instead of the recycling box next door.

Makes sense, if you're not allowed to use them, why collect them and help out the competition.
21.gif

We often use reusable bags, but my problem with forcing their use is the issue of cross contamination caused if a liquid, say from a meat product, leaks into the bag. Then you have to try to clean and disinfect the bag without destroying it. We do not buy much meat, so that has not been a real issue for us.

Originally Posted By: KDonkey
Wish there was a nationwide ban on disposable plastic items. Just this week a whale died, blocked a navigable river here, they found a dvd case in its stomach.

I try to save and reuse plastic bags. I pick out the biodegradable ones and turn in the rest to recycling collection along with other plastic film packaging. Would be interesting to find out if they are really recycled, but at least I feel better turning them in.

They really are recycled. There is a place in Richmond that turns them into plastic pellets and they are reused.

I can't believe that so many people on this thread are good with government banning plastic bags.
I don't think some of you think past the end of your nose.
Just my opinion...of which I'll most certainly be attacked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back