California to ban plastic bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
When this is done they can go after the pigs that throw burning cigarette butts on the ground. It appears that some people never grow up and they need a nanny to follow them around and Governor Moonbeam in California is just that sort of fellow.

Most people are slobs. I have a property on a main drag and I'm always picking up bottles, wrappers, and cigarette buts out of the front yard. One time I was standing there and a bottle landed next to me, lucky for the driver my reaction was slow I was going to lob it back at their car.

I have never felt the need to chuck garbage out of my truck.

Last edited:
Don't get me started on cigarette butts. I don't live on a busy street at all yet I am still picking up butts from the curb and front yard all the time. Every time I do my negativity regarding the human race ratchets up just a bit. We are truly a blight on the planet.

Just got home. A neighbor put out a table and 6 chairs with 3 signs that said "fee". Today someone picked up the table and chairs and threw the signs in the street and left a cigarette but in his front yard. Some people are pigs, especially smokers.

I mowed my lawn yesterday morning. Whenever I do that I pick up any trash that finds its way into my yard or against the curb. Here we are, thirty hours later, and I picked up six more cigarette butts from the curb in front of the house. I don't even have much traffic on my semi-cul de sac. The prevailing summer wind blows them my way, I guess.

I wouldn't classify ALL smokers as pigs, but I did read that the single largest form of litter is butts. By count, not weight, I'm sure.

http://www.cigarettelitter.org/

I live in california and am way ahead on this one I shop with reusable bags or use boxes (some stores recycle them that way for you to use) and when I do use plastic I make sure to bring it back to the store or use it around the house

Merk, what one big chain up here does is charge something like a nickel a bag if you want bags. The nice thing is that if you do buy the bags, they're quality is much higher than other plastic bags, and they can be reused.

Other stores have the policy to ask customers if they want bags (without a charge), and that can reduce use, too.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Don't get me started on cigarette butts. I don't live on a busy street at all yet I am still picking up butts from the curb and front yard all the time. Every time I do my negativity regarding the human race ratchets up just a bit. We are truly a blight on the planet.

People could learn about "field stripping" a cigarette butt. I assume the military still does it?

^That would still take effort. It's obviously much easier just to toss it out the window or onto the ground.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
First the econuts get rid of biodegradable paper bags because they were "killing the forests", now they want to get rid of plastic bags because they are "killing the oceans" or whatever.

Multiuse bags?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/sns-green-bacteria-in-shopping-bags-story.html
There is always some down side.

I sure wish they could figure out what the correct bag is that they should be imposing on the rest of us.

Careful......Don't spoil the slovenly love for the almight .gov!

I sure wish they could figure out what the correct bag is that they should be imposing on the rest of us.
Ways for special interests to make money and gain power evolve. So your bag will have to evolve as well. If everyone in the country started using reusable bags it most definitely would be somehow terrible and we need another solution before the Earth dies. If you didn't wash your bags everyone will die from the bacteria. If you do wash your bags everyone will die because you used all the water. And on and on.

So they did a plastic bag ban in Austin, for the past year or so.

Walmart responded by selling customers a paper bag for 5 cents or whatever.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Ban is the wrong word. It is banned for giving them out for free at non food retailer only.

"The measure would ban grocery stores from handing out single-use grocery bags with customers' purchases, and provide money to local plastic bag companies to retool to make heavier, multiple-use bags that customers could buy." - Reuters

It still has to be signed into law by the Governor, but the ban would cover grocery stores.

Yes I know, we have them here in many municipals already. But the title makes it look like it is a BAN on all plastic across ALL places.

You still get plastic bags in the produce department for the wet produces.

You can still buy plastic trash bags.

You can still get free plastic bags from food vendors (just in case the food containers leak).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: morepwr
So basically it is a tax. They will charge .05 for the bags and the majority of people will pay it because they are either too lazy to bring their own, dont care if the total bill is .50 more, or just plain will forget to. Who gets the .05? If it is the grocery stores, then their profits will rise a little.

Give me a break. The store takes the 5c (actually it has been 10c here in my municipal for years) to BUY the paper bag they give you instead of the previous practice of giving you a FREE paper or plastic bag that you requested.

Now if you bring in your own bag of any kind (doesn't have to be those fashionable shopping bags, I reuse single use paper bag and plastic bag all the time), they will give you 5c each that is used, because they would have to buy a bag to give it to you for free anyways, so they might as well save you money. Now do you call that a handout too?

Most people here aren't complaining. They are happy to get 5c each bag used instead of an oversupply of plastic bags at home anyways.

Bringing your own of whatever you are happy with, problem solved. No?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back