California to ban plastic bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
They shouldn't have to ban them...the citizens should stop using them and start bringing their own reusable cloth bags to the store.

Problem with people/consumers is that are too lazy and ignorant to realize the damage that plastic does to the environment when it is just dumped into the environment.

Businesses should stop offering them period.

Like another poster mentioned our oceans and waterways are being seriously damaged as well by mounds of floating plastic that just sits in the ocean and can been seen going on for miles in length.

Last edited:
Plastic bags aren't the cause of pollution....nasty, dirty, and lazy people are.
The more Big Brother has to step in and mandate something because of our seeming inability to be responsible, decent citizens....the less choices we will have, the more expensive things will become, and the more inconvenient basic tasks will be.
But...nothing will stop that. My faith in my "fellow man" is about -12.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I can't believe that so many people on this thread are good with government banning plastic bags.
I don't think some of you think past the end of your nose.
Just my opinion...of which I'll most certainly be attacked for.
People like to be told what to do. Thinking is hard.

My thoughts are more in line with Andrew's. I have a creek behind my house that runs several feet higher than normal during heavy storms. The trees that line the creek are littered with plastic bags. My city just switched to large bins (so-called mini dumpsters) for trash and recyclable collection. Hopefully, that will cut down on the inevitable trash I find in my yard and in the greenbelt behind the house on windy trash days. Prior to this, people have been putting their trash out loose in cans, or in flimsy kitchen bags. I have always used contractor grade outdoor waste bags and put my trash out the morning of trash collection, not the night before. (We still have wild animals and some unrestrained pets running around.)

If I find trash in the area around my house or on my street I pick it up. Observation has told me that my neighbors will let stuff sit around their houses indefinitely.

I guess all the hard work we do leaves us far too tired to pick up trash or take an iota of pride in the appearance of our neighborhoods.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "Trashy is as trashy does." Or, as Ron White claims, "You can't fix stupid."

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
My thoughts are more in line with Andrew's. I have a creek behind my house that runs several feet higher than normal during heavy storms. The trees that line the creek are littered with plastic bags. My city just switched to large bins (so-called mini dumpsters) for trash and recyclable collection. Hopefully, that will cut down on the inevitable trash I find in my yard and in the greenbelt behind the house on windy trash days. Prior to this, people have been putting their trash out loose in cans, or in flimsy kitchen bags. I have always used contractor grade outdoor waste bags and put my trash out the morning of trash collection, not the night before. (We still have wild animals and some unrestrained pets running around.)

If I find trash in the area around my house or on my street I pick it up. Observation has told me that my neighbors will let stuff sit around their houses indefinitely.

I guess all the hard work we do leaves us far too tired to pick up trash or take an iota of pride in the appearance of our neighborhoods.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "Trashy is as trashy does." Or, as Ron White claims, "You can't fix stupid."

You are obviously a good citizen.
Where I live (12-15 year old development) about half the folks are decent neighbors. The rest? Not so much. I keep my yard and sidewalk clean of debris, garbage, leaves, etc. I also water my grass and keep it mowed. In the mornings, I'm often out front, hand watering my lawn with a hose. Many friendly and appreciative neighbors will always say "Good morning! Place looks good!". I'll say the same to them when I go on my walks...just to let them know how much I also appreciate a well kept appearance of a front yard.
The other folks...the SLOBS....they really do create eyesores in the neighborhood. They throw paper and plastic cups into the street....they don't mow lawns or bother to water them)...they park cars in every direction and on the sidewalks...and frequently have loud, obnoxious conversations using four-letter words in the front yard, right in front of kids. One idiot even walks around in his underwear outside because he's too lazy to wear pants.
Anyway....it's those types of losers that make plastic bags and other items a littering nuisance. In my opinion it's only getting worse. It's a shame as it's the low-lifes of society that make things tougher on the considerate people.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I can't believe that so many people on this thread are good with government banning plastic bags.
I don't think some of you think past the end of your nose.
Just my opinion...of which I'll most certainly be attacked for.
People like to be told what to do. Thinking is hard.

Or, some people think, then vote for elected officials that will bring their will to fruition; and if those voters will a world without plastic bags, then elected officials will do that: reflect the will of the public. A society is the result of the collective decisions made by those that constitute a society. Some do, some vote to get others to do, and others whine and complain and call everyone else stupid for not abiding by The One Right Way Of Thinking. Luckily, the latter group - apart from needlessly manufacturing and disseminating unhappiness - have absolutely no direct impact on the world outside of them.

Hey I know what would be great. Lets ban human beings! (unless you work for .GOV!) Then all of the polar bears will be safe!

sheeple.

Ban is the wrong word. It is banned for giving them out for free at non food retailer only.

Restaurants can still give out free plastic bags, and you can still buy them if you really want to.

I just bring in a few old paper bags and fill them up, and get 5c per bag credit. I always keep a few in my car and if I forgot to bring them in, I'll just push a cart out and bag them in my trunk myself. It is not really a big deal after you get used to it.

Yeah, I'll have to be more frugal about trash can liner usage, but that's about it.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Ban is the wrong word. It is banned for giving them out for free at non food retailer only.

"The measure would ban grocery stores from handing out single-use grocery bags with customers' purchases, and provide money to local plastic bag companies to retool to make heavier, multiple-use bags that customers could buy." - Reuters

It still has to be signed into law by the Governor, but the ban would cover grocery stores.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Or, some people think, then vote for elected officials that will bring their will to fruition; and if those voters will a world without plastic bags, then elected officials will do that: reflect the will of the public. A society is the result of the collective decisions made by those that constitute a society. Some do, some vote to get others to do, and others whine and complain and call everyone else stupid for not abiding by The One Right Way Of Thinking. Luckily, the latter group - apart from needlessly manufacturing and disseminating unhappiness - have absolutely no direct impact on the world outside of them.
Most voters can't tell you who is their Senator. If you think this stuff is the will of the people you're lost. Special interests run this show. People are dumb. They'll choose to ban dihydrogen monoxide every time they're asked.

Last edited:
So basically it is a tax. They will charge .05 for the bags and the majority of people will pay it because they are either too lazy to bring their own, dont care if the total bill is .50 more, or just plain will forget to. Who gets the .05? If it is the grocery stores, then their profits will rise a little.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
So basically it is a tax. They will charge .05 for the bags and the majority of people will pay it because they are either too lazy to bring their own, dont care if the total bill is .50 more, or just plain will forget to. Who gets the .05? If it is the grocery stores, then their profits will rise a little.

That's how it works at Aldi. They charge you for bags.

Granted, when I go there I just grab a box and throw everything in

Originally Posted By: morepwr
'

Taking lessons from Ontario, I see. Few years back, they introduced the 5c/bag tax, it ran for a while and then they scrapped it.

Problem is, some cheap [censored] stores kept the bag tax on. The sad thing is, these are the most expensive stores still charging for bags. The Chinese stores give them away! The Chinese! Give them away!!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I just grab a box and throw everything in

heck ya! love how most of them keep the boxes at the front for the taking

Just remember to run your canvas bags through the wash every so often. I recall a recent news story where a bunch of girl scouts got sick on a camping trip. The cause was traced to some kind of plant bacteria growing inside canvas shopping bags where their food was stored and carried.

Except you'd be surprised.

People can be easily influenced by small things, and 5cents for a bag actually makes a difference in behavior especially if the 5cents price is waved in front of them. even though they splurged for a pack of gum or snickers bar that's worth 50bags.

It's the same reason people go out of their way to save 3cents on a gallon of gas.

As far as the ban and contamination, it doesn't apply to the butcher and produce and some other related items; it's for GROCERY bags, not bags for your produce or meat.

And also don't get your panties in a bunch that all bags are getting banned and you'll be schlepping your groceries in your backpack. There's this thing called paper if you've haven't heard of it. Do people have some kind of love affair with plastic bags or something?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I wonder if they are outlawing doggie waste bags as well. Hard enough to get people to pick up with plastic doggie bags.

Smoky

All of the dog do bags I have seen are biodegradable.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
There's this thing called paper if you've haven't heard of it. Do people have some kind of love affair with plastic bags or something?
But the trees? Bags kill da forest will be the rallying cry. So paper isn't an option. This stuff has nothing to do with bags. It's a war on capitalism.

When this is done they can go after the pigs that throw burning cigarette butts on the ground. It appears that some people never grow up and they need a nanny to follow them around and Governor Moonbeam in California is just that sort of fellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back