"California Paint" on my 2003 BMW E46 330Ci

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

I was hanging in the garage during a rare day of rain in California's Central Coast. Check out the original paint on my 2003 BMW. I am the original owner and special ordered it from the factory because I didn't want a sunroof. I took delivery on Feb 2003. The car has 87,500 miles on it, so it does get driven. That said, it's never been used as a commuter, it's always garaged and often covered while in there, and it's never once been driven on a wet roadway. Not once. I even wash the entire undercarriage and suspension every year or so with a hand mitt (no pressure washer or harsh chemicals). The entire undercarriage looks factory fresh. FWIW, I do 100% of the maintenance and modifications on the car. It's never been to a service facility of any type except for a smog test or wheel alignment.

But anyway, check out the original factory paint.

All of you have a Merry Christmas!

Scott

VERY nice! Back in 1995 my salesperson had to fight with BMW to get my Club Sport built without a hole in the roof- even though it was specifically listed as an option.

Steel Gray Metallic? I had a 02 325xi with that exact color and no sunroof either. I loved it, but it didn't love me!

Car looks GREAAT btw
thumbsup2.gif

I thought this was going to be about the crummy paint jobs on Camaros/Firebirds assembled in the Van Nuys plant back a long time ago.

I never really used the sunroof when I had them on my cars, but I like the panorama sunroof on my Mercedes. The rear passengers like it too, makes it feel more open. I usually leave the shade open.

Great paint though, no garage here so mine gets snowed on, rained on, taken through car washes, etc. It's just a car....

Oh and for a second there I thought you were going to talk about California Paints which is actually a paint company.

I loved the sunroof on my 3000GT and love the t-tops on my 300ZX!!
laugh.gif

I would give the world to have a garage!!

It's amazing how hard it is to get a fairly optioned up car without a sunroof. I could go without it but I don't think they made a VDP without one.

My 2002 M Coupe was Steel Grey/No roof. Just sold it this summer for the exact same $$$ that I bought it for in 2002!

Bought another low volume car: 2016 Chevy SS sport sedan (Holden SSV GM import). When V8s are history in 14 years...will the Chevy make me happy at resale?

Last edited:
Happy Holidays you OCD sufferer!

I'd love to have the devotion to keep a car that clean - well done!
I'm happy about the rain, because it buys me more time until my next car wash
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Very nice! Why no sunroof though? I love mine!
I personally don't like sunroofs because it cuts down on headroom, I'm 6'2" so fairly tall.

My aunt had me help her look for cars recently and we went and looked at a brand new EX-L Accord. My head was touching the roof with the seat all the way scooted back and the bottom all the way down, and the seat back reclined back a bit, I don't like to sit up straight in a car.

The 2016 Civic was the worst thing I ever sat in. Once again, seat all the way back, down, and reclined a bit. The sunroof was open and my hair stuck out of the sunroof above the outer metal roof. Yes! My head was going out of the sunroof! My hair is only maybe 1/2" long too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back