California Moves To Ban Natural Gas Furnaces / Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this article this morning. I am assuming that propane appliances will also succumb (gas grills, patio heaters etc)?

What about furnaces and boilers operating on #2 oil fuel?
Not sure. Maybe Jeff K. or other CA BITOG members can comment. MY question is doesn't CA currently use a lot of Nat Gas powered on demand turbine power stations? According to this map they have several.

Attachments

• power_plant_map_state CA.gif
    power_plant_map_state CA.gif
    64.5 KB · Views: 10
Anyone care to actually tackle why this is such a bad idea?

California is a big state, but in general, the climate doesn't require the heating needs of a gas-fueled furnace. That's hard for a midwestener or northeastener to understand, but population centers don't see -20F every winter. A heat pump is probably ideal and I'd be willing to bet most new homes have already gone that route.

Most major municipalities in California have already banned natural gas-fired appliances. A good portion of this already doesn't affect 80% of the population.

For a personal perspective, homes without a gas-fired furnace and appliances have much better indoor air quality. If I lived in a climate that supported it, I'd have gotten rid of my gas furnace long ago.

What about power outages? You use you furnace at completely different times and in a completely different manner than the *other* electricity hog: Air conditioning. A switch to electric heat (again, in the form of efficient heat pumps) will not have nearly the same electricity-usage impact as the already-existing maximum demand.

On the topic of power outages, it's not like they're exclusive to California. Ask Texas about how well their gas-fired state does in extreme weather. They seem to have trouble keeping the lights on and homes at a comfortable temperature with gas.

California is a big state, but in general, the climate doesn't require the heating needs of a gas-fueled furnace. That's hard for a midwestener or northeastener to understand, but population centers don't see -20F every winter. A heat pump is probably ideal and I'd be willing to bet most new homes have already gone that route.

Most major municipalities in California have already banned natural gas-fired appliances. A good portion of this already doesn't affect 80% of the population.

For a personal perspective, homes without a gas-fired furnace and appliances have much better indoor air quality. If I lived in a climate that supported it, I'd have gotten rid of my gas furnace long ago.

What about power outages? You use you furnace at completely different times and in a completely different manner than the *other* electricity hog: Air conditioning. A switch to electric heat (again, in the form of efficient heat pumps) will not have nearly the same electricity-usage impact as the already-existing maximum demand.

On the topic of power outages, it's not like they're exclusive to California. Ask Texas about how well their gas-fired state does in extreme weather. They seem to have trouble keeping the lights on and homes at a comfortable temperature with gas.
To tackle why it's a bad idea would entail intellectual thought instead of standard knee jerk reactions.

Burn wood, solves every possibility you bring up.

Just saw this article this morning. I am assuming that propane appliances will also succumb (gas grills, patio heaters etc)?

Before we do this - can we stop running electric cars on electricity generated by coal, oil, and natural gas?

Once the state power company stops using natural gas, and cars are no longer charged with natural gas, then we can talk about removing one of the cleanest, most efficient, most economical forms of heat available to the people of that good state.

You Sir, are part of the problem. Grandiose propositions for others yet you state "If I lived in a climate that supported it, I'd have gotten rid of my gas furnace long ago." You have the ability to do just that no matter what climate you are in. You have had and currently do have the opportunity to convert to all-electric. Why haven't you? I find that rather hypocritical. Why haven't you converted to electric heat?

I don't wan't you or any gov't agency making a decision on what my appliances are operated by. If you cook to a higher level you know electric sux and gas is what you want/need. My cooktop and dryer are LP and are highly efficient. Far more efficient than electric and with better results. Wonder if this will be another set of rules for the and not for me. Highly doubt French Laundry chefs will be cooking with electric.

So you found 1 ot of 50 states with a grid issue and use that to say hey it's not just us....I have relatives in Plano, TX and they are fixing that grid. CA answer is hey don't charge those EV's we're forcing down your throat and turn off that AC! What an innovative solution that is!

These policies come with a utopic ideology and no answers to the issues presented with such measures.

Most of you guys on here seem like a lot of fun in person. I've kind of had a rough day and this sense of humor that's been going around has been much appreciated. It's kind of like when you let the dog out after he hasn't been outside very much. Just takes off running through the neighbor's yard doing Bunches of circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back