California launches campaign against 3,000mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes

The most broke state in the country and they have the money to waste on this.

Of course I disagree most people are too lazy and stupid to do oil changes every 3K, most are already going 7K plus. Look at all the sludged up engines.

From a European perspective it is unbelievable that American car owners still change oil at such a short interval. Are you still driving Ford model T? I have found the owners manual from an old car I used to own, a 1974 Opel Rekord and the recommended service interval is 10000km (6213 miles) or every 6 months. My current car a Peugeot 406 have a maximum service interval of 30000km (18641 miles) or every 2 years, a recommendation I don’t follow since I am doing mostly short trips.

About the campaign, I find it strange that some of you find it annoying or even a threat to your freedom somehow if the authorities suggest that people pay closer attention to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Isn’t it the sloppiness of the uninformed car owners what you also complain about?

If the campaign manages to change the oil changing habits of people then we would not only save recourses but people would also save money on oil or car repairs and that would make the cost of the campaign money well spent.

We need a voice of reason to offset the 3months/3k mile shops that amazingly still spout this as gospel.

My g/f has a 2008 Acura TL - OLM equipped. The DEALERSHIP put a bright orange sticker on the owners manual - 3month/3k miles! Apparantely they know driving conditions better than the OLM and engineers that programmed it.

@ Martin X:

Hej!

Agreed completely. But the general populace in the USA has been conditioned to have a knee jerk reaction to ANYTHING government does, yet business can do anything and everything criminal and most folks will react with "that is business".

I've been to Sweden and it is a amazing country with great people.

Really?
51% of car owners in this country still do 3K changes, while 33% feel that they shouldn't exceed 4K.
Or, do they merely think the above, and stretch the 3K out to 7K?
Easy to do for those who don't change their own oil, much less know what a UOA is.
A 3K drain interval is absurd for most users, but it still does make sense for a few.
The viability of a much longer interval depends upon the engine, how it's driven and the oil used.
I find 5-6K safe and inexpensive.
On the only UOA I've done, I could have run an easy 8K on that oil in that car as it was used on that OCI.

This country was built on distrust of Government, so the reaction is a good sign: some of you have not been reprogrammed yet.

The thing is, this is a great campaign for the people who religiously do short intervals. What % of Californians do short intervals? Maybe 50% at most? The other 50% will be the ones most affected by this campaign and that doesnt really help anyone. This other 50% of "gas-n-go'ers" will just be emboldened by it, more than likely thinking "well I'll just go another 2 years without changing the oil cuz I really don't have time and can't be bothered". The intended demographic, the lightly-informed chronic oil changers are probably even harder to be influenced otherwise...

Martin

first off you dont undestand, most Americans already ignore their cars and do not do 3000 mile 3 month oil changes, I know have a few friends who are techs. THey confirm what I already suspect. Most do oil changes when they get around to it, hence why you see so many poorly maintained vehicles here. Guess people are too busy watching American Idol. I saw a Liberty come in the local shop, hadnt had a oil change in 12K miles and 14 months. 3 Qts came out when my pal was working on it. Real smart, but they got warranty so why change oil??

2nd, California is broke, it is one of the most corrupt mismanaged states and it does not have nor should waste hard earned taxpayer money to bloviate extending oil changes because most people have abandoned 3000 miles oil changes long ago. So no need to educate the masses who will now increase there 6 month-yr oil change to even longer because some CA beaurocrat told them to do so.

Last edited:
I admit I'm one of those guys that do 3K OCI's cuz I do allot of stop and go driving. For the sake of driving long term between OCI I don't mind but I'll use a synthetic oil and want to make sure the oil filter will handle the longer term driving. This is for my Dodge Durango. For my Chevy Impala SS I do my OCI's based on the OLM. When it's time for a change the computer will tell me. On the Chevy I average 6K OCI's due to my driving habits.

Durango

I launched a campaign against 3K OCIs in 1978!
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 91344George
I also used the cut off top of a 2 L bottle works great with wide mouth oil jugs.

They work great. I have one made from an older 7-UP bottle which seems a bit thicker than most of the newer 2L bottles.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Is it REALLY the function of government to tell people when to change their oil? So....tax payer money is being spent to tell people what they would already know if they looked at the vehicle manual? Once again, the green police have come to the rescue! It's so fortunate we have big brother looking out for us all.
well the govt regulates fuel efficiency, emissions equipment, emissions, etc etc. This is no different. Wait until they require x percent of motor oil sold to contain recycled oil.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
well the govt regulates fuel efficiency, emissions equipment, emissions, etc etc. This is no different. Wait until they require x percent of motor oil sold to contain recycled oil.

As long as its done the way Valvoline does it, I wouldn't mind it.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Why shouldn't they?@ this rate, it seems to be the only way you'd get Americans to use recycled oil.(@ least as quickly as i'm seeing shelf space for next-gen disappear 'round here) We Really should be using Recycled oil. If it is re-refined properly, there is no reason not to use it. as plenty of folks on here have pointed out, the oil itself DOES NOT WEAR OUT, it's the additives the various brands put in to it (their special blend of 11 herbs & spices) that break down/get used up.
recycled/re-refined oil is in common use up in the great white north (Canada), and from my understanding, many commercial fleets here in the states. too many folks who refuse to educate themselves going with the knee jerk "I'm not putting USED oil in my car!"

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: lexus114

Why shouldn't they?@ this rate, it seems to be the only way you'd get Americans to use recycled oil.(@ least as quickly as i'm seeing shelf space for next-gen disappear 'round here) We Really should be using Recycled oil. If it is re-refined properly, there is no reason not to use it. as plenty of folks on here have pointed out, the oil itself DOES NOT WEAR OUT, it's the additives the various brands put in to it (their special blend of 11 herbs & spices) that break down/get used up.
recycled/re-refined oil is in common use up in the great white north (Canada), and from my understanding, many commercial fleets here in the states. too many folks who refuse to educate themselves going with the knee jerk "I'm not putting USED oil in my car!"

You shouldn't use it in an engine that needs 100% synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back