California launches campaign against 3,000mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
California launches campaign against 3,000-mile oil changes
LA TIMES

oil-change.jpg

If you ask the typical driver how often they should change their oil, the answer would likely be about 3,000 miles. But thanks to advances in engine and oil technology, the 3,000-mile barrier is just a number. Many vehicles can travel 7,500 miles or more between oil changes, but still a large number of drivers head to the nearest oil change facility for their 3,000-mile fix.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the State of California is looking to shift that paradigm with a new ad campaign that will encourage motorists to hold off on that early oil change. The Check Your Number campaign is instead imploring motorists to follow the manufacturer's recommendations, which in the case of BMW could be as high as 15,000 miles. The California Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery points out that the longer oil change intervals could save 10 million gallons of oil every year.

While we're guessing that many tax-paying oil change facilities in California aren't big fans of this ad campaign, it could save consumers money and conserve resources. And the savings aren't just for California residents either. Nationally, 51 percent of vehicle owners feel they should change their oil at the 3,000 mile mark, and only 33 percent go beyond 4,000 miles.

Last edited:
huh, looking @ that pic...cutting the top off a soda bottle for a funnel.... dang... How did i never think of that?..

Also, I wonder how many folks there are like me, who b/c of the little bit we do drive and the type of driving we/I do (most trips less than 5 miles,mostly "City" driving) the factory recommendation is for 3mo/3k mi, which ever comes FIRST.( which if i do the 3 months, would be like 1,500 mi.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
active lock topic tonight.

No kidding. 3rd one today that I've seen.

If he threw a couple ice cubes in the cup it would look like he's serving the engine a scotch on the rocks.

The problem is when people get this in their head, they will

A. Forget to (more accurately: NEGLECT) check their oil level.
and potentially ruin their motor due to driving with low or no oil

B. Use any junk oil and try to squeeze 10 K out of it...

Many people already go well over the 3/month 3K....simply out of ignorance.

All the more reason to only buy a used car from a OCD maintenance freak. -That keep all records

The odd thing is that conservation was a really hot topic for many years during the 70s and early 80s and then it strangely fell out of favor...I wonder why? LOL

I think conservation of resources is the best solution for the near term future ....it doesn't only extend to oil, but to how we conduct our lives in lots of ways.

By buying a lighter car vs a heavier one, you not only save gas immediately BUT....

You save wear and tear on parts like brake pads, tires, ect.

It usually takes LESS materials to make that smaller lighter car as well.

I'm glad that California is bringing back the angle of conservation to the forefront of folks attention.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
huh, looking @ that pic...cutting the top off a soda bottle for a funnel.... dang... How did i never think of that?..

I usually fill the filter, add the remainder of the oil and cut that bottle in half to add the others(assuming quarts here)... Then all the bottles go in the trash and I do the same at next change...

That soda bottle in the pict most certainly has the cap in place... Possibly it has a hole in the cap and in in place to steady the bottle in the opening??? I've used them and they are rather floppy in the average oil fill...

I also used the cut off top of a 2 L bottle works great with wide mouth oil jugs.

BTW that bottle in the pic has the snap ring left on the neck...you know when you turn the cap it breaks the safety seal and leaves the plastic cap band on the neck.

The problems i foresee with putting up a general ad campaign like that are
1. People will now think that they dont have to change their oil at oil and be skeptical to any oil changes since the 3k thing has now come out as a myth.

2. Engines that leak or burn oil will have no oil by the time they make it to get it changed.

3.Short trip people will go 10k on an oil change and engines will be sludged up.

Only people who understand cars better should be told about extended OCI to prevent some unnecessary neglect.

I use the top from an old qt oil bottle that I keep on a hook in the engine bay on my Granada. Very difficult to get anything larger in there.
frown.gif

Is it REALLY the function of government to tell people when to change their oil? So....tax payer money is being spent to tell people what they would already know if they looked at the vehicle manual? Once again, the green police have come to the rescue! It's so fortunate we have big brother looking out for us all.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Man this is really starting to scare me now. What next, are we going to be told how long to keep an automobile?

If so, I'm in real trouble.
wink.gif

This kind of stuff always starts off like this. Bit,by bit then people dont realize whats happening until its too late.

It always amazes me on one hand that people seem to have such a need and desire for government to be so heavily involved in their lives....yet saddens me at the same time that they don't realize the intrusive and freedom hindering nature of what they are welcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back