California grid officials ready to ask for conservation as extreme heat wave approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
1662662138641.jpg

For those keeping score....
I don't think it hit 100* here today; a pleasent surprise. 99 or 98.
It's 5:45 PM and a nice 95*. Fans supplying a little wind chill, I guess. Not bad!
Should be down to 80* by 9:00 PM when I can lower the AC if I want.
Tomorrow is the last day; Saturday will be mid to high 70's.

I've only had 1 Costco popsicle.

Do people just leave the lights and a/c on at work? I don’t really get the reasoning. The same people are either home or at work. They should be using power at either one or the other.
Many businesses have pretty much everything on 24/7.

My moms 2000Ft house is cooled by a single 5000btu window AC unit.

When it is very hot she needs to run it continuously to keep humidity down and her rooms that she occupies cool enough.

Oddly works quite well to keep the living room and bedrooms cool (they are next to each other)

Electric bill isn’t egregious either, much much less than anyone with central air or minisplits

In any case I see "waterless" toilets all over the place in Las Vegas. I see them in LEED buildings. Even here in Atlanta and they work fine. Other than the shape they're not designed like a typical urinal. Many implement a "liquid seal". In any case I wouldn't call them a bad idea assuming the system can handle them.

What could possibly go wrong with the idea of taking a compost pile of human excrement, and moving it inside your home? I'm sure when the neighbors come over they'll think your wife just spilled a bottle of Chanel #5 on the counter top.

But in any case, sacrifices will have to be made, or we'll all be drinking dust.

What could possibly go wrong with the idea of taking a compost pile of human excrement, and moving it inside your home? I'm sure when the neighbors come over they'll think your wife just spilled a bottle of Chanel #5 on the counter top.

But in any case, sacrifices will have to be made, or we'll all be drinking dust.
I don't see them in residences but I see them in businesses.

66* at 8:00 AM here is Los Gatos; high of 77* forecasted. 20* plus drop. Some people will put long pants on...
I am thankful for the cool down as the elderly and poor health people were at risk. Not to mention our animal life, both domestic and wild.

From earlier in the week, of note is that smoke from the wildfires had a significant impact on solar production, so despite the demand peak being almost 4GW lower, the risk of blackouts was quite real.

Total demand is expected to reach 48.8 gigawatts, below the record high of 52 gigawatts achieved Tuesday. But the grid Thursday and Friday faces the prospect of much less solar and wind power.

Wildfire smoke and cloud cover reduced output from solar farms on Thursday and will likely cut generation by as much as 1 gigawatt on Friday, according to Elliot Mainzer, chief executive officer of the California Independent System Operator. Weaker wind gusts on Thursday and Friday are also diminishing another important electric source for the state.

“Conditions have changed,” Mainzer said, pointing to “uncertainty about how much production we will have from our renewable resources.”

Snow (in areas that receive it) poses an even worse threat, as you are already in a season where solar output has dropped precipitously due to the reduced daylight hours. What we tend to see is that both heat waves and cold snaps are accompanied by large wind lulls as well, so wind isn't there to "backstop" the solar. This is why we have massive backup gas capacity that can step in. A few hours of batteries aren't going to help at all.

From earlier in the week, of note is that smoke from the wildfires had a significant impact on solar production, so despite the demand peak being almost 4GW lower, the risk of blackouts was quite real.

Snow (in areas that receive it) poses an even worse threat, as you are already in a season where solar output has dropped precipitously due to the reduced daylight hours. What we tend to see is that both heat waves and cold snaps are accompanied by large wind lulls as well, so wind isn't there to "backstop" the solar. This is why we have massive backup gas capacity that can step in. A few hours of batteries aren't going to help at all.

Looks like fire season has arrived in our area. It’s quite smoky out here in Puyallup

On the subject of solar, I wonder why solar water heaters haven’t been pushed? A much cheaper investment. Heating hot water is a big part of the electric bill and usage.

I’ve thought about putting in a system at the other house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back