California Fires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this post finds everyone well. These are some photos from the Peak fire here in California, which was close to my house. Neighbor firefighter sent these to me. Fire ran up to freeway so quickly they had to dump water on the cars.

2491.jpeg

2489.jpeg

Last edited:
If I was in the freeway picture I'd be that guy on the motorcycle, except I'd be farther back where the water's hitting... because that's how my life works.

The fire in Simi Valley was right near my aunt and uncle's place. They were under mandatory evacuation, then not, but couldn't go back. It has been a rough week for the Thousand Oaks area.

The interesting thing is that they are finding out many of these fires are started by the electric company's equipment, downed poles, wires and transformers. Yet you do not hear anywhere else that the electric company is to blame. Is it this electric company or is stuff just too dry and ready to ignite if you sneeze too hard?

I believe Calif passed a law that the electric company can pass these losses back to the customers in the way of rate hikes.

My daughter handles a portfolio of commercial claims for a major insurance carrier. Hundreds of millions in claims. From last year they are going back to the electric company for payment of 1200 claims.

Around here in NY we loose the power a lot. But never hear of fires from downed wires, etc.

Glad I live on the east coast.

Good luck to those in the path.

However forests are being turned into suitable kindling and that is the problem. You will never stop the causes that start it, but you can prevent it or slow it down enough that we can put it out before it's a giant mess with lush green hydrated forested areas instead of dry kindle suitable forests that burn far easier.

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warmi...l-warming-and-wildfire.html#.W-yIo5NKiUk

As the climate warms, moisture and precipitation levels are changing, with wet areas becoming wetter and dry areas becoming drier.

Higher spring and summer temperatures and earlier spring snowmelt typically cause soils to be drier for longer, increasing the likelihood of drought and a longer wildfire season, particularly in the western United States.

These hot, dry conditions also increase the likelihood that wildfires will be more intense and long-burning once they are started by lightning strikes or human error.

The costs of wildfires, in terms of risks to human life and health, property damage, and state and federal dollars, are devastating, and they are only likely to increase unless we better address the risks of wildfires and reduce our activities that lead to further climate change.

Last edited:
Rather than just the "threat" of current global warming coming from environmentalists/politicians....the planet is probably closer to the next ice age than most think. The planet has had 6-7 major ice ages. The next one will come despite anything man does. And a strong heating cycle will follow the next ice age. Will man be blamed for that one too? North America was first settled/discovered during the last ice age when Europeans crossed the ice bridge into North America.

Sunspot activity is currently at decades lows. That's more than likely hinting at a cooling cycle in progress....not a heating cycle. In any event. The earth goes through cycles. It just happens the world is now a political beast where everything can be blamed on someone or something....and not nature. It's all about the $$ and who it gets funneled to. If the 1930's dust bowls occurred today, they'd no doubt be attributed to global warming.

I don't have the lone answer as there probably no such thing. It's many factors. 50% or more of what humans currently "believe" or "know" or about our environment and the planet will likely be proven false over the next 50 yrs. That's how "science" progresses. It was only 5-6 centuries ago that most considered the world flat. Lol....and some still do today. Religion, politics, fear, greed and other factors are what drive much our environmental "knowledge" today. And every once in a while true science gets in the way to alter our path.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 69GTX
It's all about the $$ and who it gets funneled to. If the 1930's dust bowls occurred today, they'd no doubt be attributed to global warming.
If you're not in Western Europe or North America you can pollute as much as you want. I wonder why that is?

Rather than just the "threat" of current global warming coming from environmentalists/politicians....the planet is probably closer to the next ice age than most think. The planet has had 6-7 major ice ages. The next one will come despite anything man does. And a strong heating cycle will follow the next ice age. Will man be blamed for that one too? North America was first settled/discovered during the last ice age when Europeans crossed the ice bridge into North America.

Sunspot activity is currently at decades lows. That's more than likely hinting at a cooling cycle in progress....not a heating cycle. In any event. The earth goes through cycles. It just happens the world is now a political beast where everything can be blamed on someone or something....and not nature. It's all about the $$ and who it gets funneled to. If the 1930's dust bowls occurred today, they'd no doubt be attributed to global warming.

I don't have the lone answer as there probably no such thing. It's many factors. 50% or more of what humans currently "believe" or "know" or about our environment and the planet will likely be proven false over the next 50 yrs. That's how "science" progresses. It was only 5-6 centuries ago that most considered the world flat. Lol....and some still do today. Religion, politics, fear, greed and other factors are what drive much our environmental "knowledge" today. And every once in a while true science gets in the way to alter our path.

I'm no expert but wouldn't it suggest it's man causing it if we are entering into an ice age and temperatures are getting warmer? Wouldn't the opposite be true then? (Not being sarcastic, asking truthfully)

Originally Posted by StevieC
Wishing you all the best. Terrible that we have destroyed the planet to this degree that this is normal now.
frown.gif

Forest fires have always been a normal part of nature.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
It's all about the $$ and who it gets funneled to. If the 1930's dust bowls occurred today, they'd no doubt be attributed to global warming.
If you're not in Western Europe or North America you can pollute as much as you want. I wonder why that is?

Because it's good for their economies because they know restricted areas like those that you mentioned will offshore their manufacturing to get around environmental laws for bigger profits. That is my take anyway.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Wishing you all the best. Terrible that we have destroyed the planet to this degree that this is normal now.
frown.gif

Forest fires have always been a normal part of nature.

Not arguing that... What I was saying is that they have never had as much fuel to burn when they being and that is our doing by creating the conditions for that fuel to exist in much bigger amounts than previously before thanks to global warming contributing to it. Which I would argue if we are entering into an ice age then that should be enough proof that it is us causing it because what is the other variable to offset colder temperatures that come with the ice age?

Last edited:
frown.gif

I think this has always been part of the California climate though. Without the Colorado River for irrigation the Central Valley would have been a desert instead of the most productive agricultural region.

I'm not saying forest fires wouldn't exist but that they wouldn't burn as hot, as long, and get as big allowing man the chance to put them out instead of them just being something we have no control over because there is so much fuel for them to burn sort of thing.

We get them in Canada as well and they have been a lot worse in the recent decades. They are in largely uninhabited areas (for the most part) and we have the largest supply of fresh water on the planet all over the place in this country. The opposite to California.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back