California Emission Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does California has more Emission Contol on their cars then other States?..I noticed on my last 2 cars [Fords] the window sticker said the cars were equipped with California Emissions so why would there be more emissions in California for Ford cars in California.

I do recall years ago when I was working nights and watching the Price Is Right with Bob Barker when they gave cars away...They always said the cars were equipped with California Emissions but you don't hear that anymore when they give cars away.

As I understand it California has the strictest emission standards, so you could buy a car for California and drive it anywhere in the states or Canada, but something outside California that doesn't meet the same strict standards may not be allowed in California.
wink.gif

They are equipped with technology to have lower emissions...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
theres not really anything much different anymore. usually the programming in the PCM.

That answers my question.
Thanks StevieC and Bdcardinal

to expand, there are different part numbers in my catalogs for such things as cats, but does not tell me the difference.

for a new car to be sold in CA, it must meet emissions. however my 98 mustang was a federal car.

there's not really anything much different anymore. usually the programming in the PCM.

Also the sticker.
grin2.gif
When I picked up my 2006 Corvette at the factory, they told me that the tune was exactly the same, just that they put the California sticker on cars destined for California.

to expand, there are different part numbers in my catalogs for such things as cats, but does not tell me the difference.

In CA you can't legally install an aftermarket cat. You can't even get an aftermarket cat shipped to CA. You have to buy an OEM replacement.

Originally Posted By: moribundman

In CA you can't legally install an aftermarket cat. You can't even get an aftermarket cat shipped to CA. You have to buy an OEM replacement.

yup well aware of that. its even true on OBD1 cars, which really screws people who owns cars where the cats are obsolete from ford. ford prices the cats they still make accordingly.

Originally Posted By: bruno
No , there are now other States that share emission standards with Granola Land - New York for one .

hey hey, were the land of fruits and nuts.

Most of New England's emissions are just as strict as California.
Also depending on model year Canada's federal emissions were just as strict.
The testing and policing in Cali is probably more stringent I would guess though.

Originally Posted By: bruno
No , there are now other States that share emission standards with Granola Land - New York for one .

hey hey, were the land of fruits and nuts.

You forgot the flakes,.....fruits, nuts and flakes.

Rabbler said:
Most of New England's emissions are just as strict as California.{/quote]
That would be bedause they use California's standards.
Quote:

Also depending on model year Canada's federal emissions were just as strict.
The testing and policing in Cali is probably more stringent I would guess though.

Stringent but surprisingly intelligently applied for a ginormous bureaucracy.

You don't need to get a new car tested for 6 years because they have found very few problems with that cars that new.

About 30% of the counties (mostly rural without a pollution problem) don't require testing at all.

There are two levels of testing. On a dyno, or not. Only areas with more severe problems require a test on a dyno, the rest only need a tailpipe sniff and visual inspection.

New cars are tested in Canada every 4-5 years. Depending on when it was bought and what year the car is because even model years are tested in odd digit ending years.

My 2006 Santa Fe is due before October 2011

Only true of OBDII cats.

Some Cali cars have different emissions equipment. I recall hearing about some Cali Miata's having 2 cats vs 1 for the federal version.

Originally Posted By: gtx510

Only true of OBDII cats.

Some Cali cars have different emissions equipment. I recall hearing about some Cali Miata's having 2 cats vs 1 for the federal version.

its now true for OBD1 also. only direct fit CARB certified cats. which usually leaves OEM, and with ford most of those older cats are obsolete.

on Miatas, the federal version had what for lack of a better term was a long tube header where the CA version had a little manifold with a bucket style cat bolted to it. they both had another cat farther down.

Last edited:
Sounds like the best thing for people to do who are moving to California from other states is sell their car where they live and buy another car that has been born in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back