California Emission Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
you can have federal cars in CA, my mustang was a federal car. the visual inspection is dependent upon the car being a CA or Federal car.

What happens if you're a CA resident and buy a federal car? They have to have some roadblock to some mass influx of federal cars into the state.

you cant register it until you reach a certain mileage, you also get to pay sales tax in CA. also you have to smog it when you bring it in.

Last edited:
you cant register it until you reach a certain mileage, you also get to pay sales tax in CA. also you have to smog it when you bring it in.

7.500 miles and it only has to meet the 49 state standards. People have been know to set an odometer ahead to shorten the process.

7.5k or 75k
54.gif

Heck, 7500 doesn't take long just touring the state a bit
grin2.gif

7500 miles to register an out of state vehicle in CA. This is to keep folk form buying a car in a border state and bringing it in. It becomes an issue with motorcycles, especially dual sports.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Sounds like the best thing for people to do who are moving to California from other states is sell their car where they live and buy another car that has been born in California.

No. The best thing is just not to move there.

Sorry to you people from California, but I have relatives in the LA area and I know what they put up with and the financial situation you are in.
Now go ahead and slam my state all you want.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Sounds like the best thing for people to do who are moving to California from other states is sell their car where they live and buy another car that has been born in California.

Sorry to you people from California, but I have relatives in the LA area and I know what they put up with and the financial situation you are in.

Not many people care enough about Kansas to bother slamming it.

Quote:
Also the sticker. When I picked up my 2006 Corvette at the factory, they told me that the tune was exactly the same, just that they put the California sticker on cars destined for California

Is the CA sticker price more expensive than the 49 state model with the same exact options/trans/features ?

Originally Posted By: XS650

What's wrong with Kansas
54.gif

twister2.gif
rotation.gif
tornado3.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
New cars are tested in Canada every 4-5 years. Depending on when it was bought and what year the car is because even model years are tested in odd digit ending years.

Depends where you live. Some provinces still have no emission testing at all. Many have legislation pending debate though...won't be long.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Quote:
Also the sticker. When I picked up my 2006 Corvette at the factory, they told me that the tune was exactly the same, just that they put the California sticker on cars destined for California

Is the CA sticker price more expensive than the 49 state model with the same exact options/trans/features ?

I saved my window sticker and just checked it. No difference on my Corvette. On cars where there is actually a difference there sometimes is a small difference in price, or at least there was.

Originally Posted By: Rabbler
Originally Posted By: StevieC
New cars are tested in Canada every 4-5 years. Depending on when it was bought and what year the car is because even model years are tested in odd digit ending years.

Depends where you live. Some provinces still have no emission testing at all. Many have legislation pending debate though...won't be long.

It's funny BC was the first, then Ontario. Then Ontario spent millions in finding out that most vehicles pass and the ones that don't miss by a fine margin. They were thinking of scrapping it, but then decided to keep it as a cash-cow like other things.
smirk2.gif

Is Ontario testing the whole province or just Toronto metro?
BC's Air Care is only in the Southern mainland and Vancouver.

there's not really anything much different anymore. usually the programming in the PCM.

Also the sticker.
grin2.gif
When I picked up my 2006 Corvette at the factory, they told me that the tune was exactly the same, just that they put the California sticker on cars destined for California.

If they did charge more for a California car, it would make sense.

Like parallel: The same $2500 opacity meter cost us $16k due to the certification process that the PA DEP required. No alteration to the device was required.

If Californian had endurance or performance requirements that had to be proven, at extended cost, then the CA cars would probably bear the cost of the additional certification even if no alteration to the cars themselves was required.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
what does that have to do with emissions?

Kansas does not test for emissions.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

What's wrong with Kansas
54.gif

twister2.gif
rotation.gif
tornado3.gif

A tornado joke? Never heard of that before.
All kidding aside, you know when a tornado is coming.
A California earthquake?
It must have been in the late '80s I was in the LA area and was woke up at about 5:20 AM with one of their biggest earthquakes. Quite a few aftershocks later in the morning.
I don't remember the final rating, but luckily the epicenter was far enough out in the desert not to do too much damage.
All states have their advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
No problem bringing 49 state (or is that 42 state?) cars into California. A few years back, they charged a $300 "Environmental Impact Fee" on out of state cars brought in and registered there. The state was sued in federal court and lost. Something about the Constitution and free trade and all. Had to stop charging and pay back years worth of the illegal taxes.

Starting in '73, California cars had a significantly different emission control system. Until cats, EFI and better computer control became commonplace. they were almost complete pieces of junk. Generally ran poorer, had worse fuel economy, and were much harder to maintain than the 49 states cars. Right now, I suspect the only difference is testing requirements, but since the feds recently approved Cali's request for individual standards, I suspect Cali cars will become the abortion they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back