California drivers brace for costly new gas tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what is going on:

Out-of-state politicians of the Left and Right have always used California as a proving ground to try out "trial balloons" that they would not dream about experimenting on their own constituents with as those constituents might vote them right out of office. That's why so much stuff like this in California is funded by Eastern political interests, out-of-state religious groups, and out-of-state corporations of all kinds. They like to put their toe in the water in California first. If something like a new gas tax works here, they will try it in their home states too.

I have noticed this since I was in high school over 40 years ago.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: Miller88
If California does it, the People's Republic of NY won't be far behind ...

How did Cuomo allow Kali to beat him to this tax? He just lost my vote! And here I thought he wanted NY to be #1! At least I still have all my rest stops converted to text stops! Now that was worth it!

Since they wasted all of the money on the "text stop" signs on the Thruway and all of the other interstates, I haven't seen a single person texting and driving ... oh ... wait. Yeah - that worked out great!

Are you in 'upstate' NY or NYC?

Lets keep raising it higher and higher until people leave the state and real estate prices drop!
laugh.gif
I'm all for that. I'll take a house on the beach and not need to use any gas to go surf.

You unbearably humid then teeth-chattering freezing states - don't feel sorry for us, we'll be just fine; earthquakes, fires and all.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Except I believe Fox News is being far more accurate with their viewers

The typical foxnews motto of "fair and balanced" is to present at least 1 part of the opposition, with no respect to.

So if the topic is "is the world is flat?", they'll bring on one guy who will argue against bill nye and say that have you thought about it this way that the world really is flat and give them equal time.

In this article they didn't follow that credo to at least present one benefit of the "tax" if that term is conceded. They even just backhandledly say oh it's going to that other boondoggle of the high speed rail and other pork projects. Their one concession is even backhanded when they give CARB one line, but only to take their concession say it's going raise prices.

So I stand by it that this is a hack job not to inform CA readers but clickbait for the Foxnews base (which may include some ca people) to shake their head at california.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Roads? This is a carbon tax. Remember the global warming scam? Just the latest hyped up nonsense to fleece the taxpayer.

And some money grubbing politician will be making millions somehow, you can bet on it.

Yep, everybody hates Fox, especially when they're right...

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Fruit and nut land.

Lol. 80% of the world's almonds whose trees that produce once every 30 years need a lot of water which we're running out of.

I hope you're long on almond milk futures.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

The typical foxnews motto of "fair and balanced" is to present at least 1 part of the opposition, with no respect to.

So if the topic is "is the world is flat?", they'll bring on one guy who will argue against bill nye and say that have you thought about it this way that the world really is flat and give them equal time.

Even better they'll bring in a strawman crackpot for the view the viewer is supposed to hate then let that strawman get assasinated.

They let Jerry Springer on to discuss politics at some convention. His TV show and private life aside, he's a pretty smart man-- smart enough to not get back into politics!
wink.gif

Just another money grab.

Our elected and appointed numbnut officials have refined the extortion of additional 'revenue enhancement' like few others.

And a majority of our feel-good electorate votes for these measures and propositions, too.

Which is why you have to consider multiple news sources. If you are getting your news from a single source, no matter how much you think it's "the best" source, you are being manipulated.

Heck, sometimes Al Jazzera (not sure I spelled that right) is the most fair and balanced
smile.gif

As long as you recognize the bias inherent in any source and can factor for that, you'll be well informed.

Fox is no more or less biased than CNN, MSNBC, NPR or any other. It's just a different bias.

Quote:
also to build low-income housing near mass-transit hubs and support construction of the state's high-speed rail project

Nothing but a vote buying scheme.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

In this article they didn't follow that credo to at least present one benefit of the "tax" if that term is conceded. They even just backhandledly say oh it's going to that other boondoggle of the high speed rail and other pork projects. Their one concession is even backhanded when they give CARB one line, but only to take their concession say it's going raise prices.

So I stand by it that this is a hack job not to inform CA readers but clickbait for the Foxnews base (which may include some ca people) to shake their head at california.

So are you disputing that the vast majority of Kalifornians will be paying a higher price at the pump? After all that was what the article was about. The cause of the increase is due to legislation passed by our law makers. Is that in dispute? The funds are supposed to be ear marked for some pie in the sky transportation projects. I think that was clearly stated.

I guess it is the fault of Fox News and the evil oil companies....

Which government agency do you work for again?

The only fraud here is that CA voters might think that politicians are actually going to solve climate change with a minor tax on a commodity that has a nearly flat demand. I pay US$7 a US gallon locally and that hasn't changed my useage and it most likely wouldn't changes yours either.

California is already ahead of the game having only 2/3 of the total US CO2 output (per capita,) and less than many first-world countries. (source, page 11)
That, at least, is commendable.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
The only fraud here is that CA voters might think that politicians are actually going to solve climate change with a minor tax on a commodity that has a nearly flat demand. I pay US$7 a US gallon locally and that hasn't changed my useage and it most likely wouldn't changes yours either.

California is already ahead of the game having only 2/3 of the total US CO2 output (per capita,) and less than many first-world countries. (source, page 11)

It's going to take a generation to cut consumption as having a suburban or exurban house won't look as good moneywise. I'd be curious if it already started-- my BIL is looking to move into town from his hour commute and having a rough time getting what he thinks his house is worth.

Then, though, you need to have towns allowing tiny houses on tiny lots and they generally sneer on this due to property tax revenues.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME

It's going to take a generation to cut consumption as having a suburban or exurban house won't look as good moneywise. I'd be curious if it already started-- my BIL is looking to move into town from his hour commute and having a rough time getting what he thinks his house is worth.

Then, though, you need to have towns allowing tiny houses on tiny lots and they generally sneer on this due to property tax revenues.

Tiny homes with tiny lots are already $750k in the SF Bay area. I live an hour away and car pool into work with two other people. I have no desire to live there.

Last edited:
Everyone knows all the heat is being trapped deep in the oceans where no one can find it. Waiting to reemerge if we don't do someone, and quick.
smirk.gif

When your previous 100% for certain, we know what we're talking about, the debate is over, predictions don't come true you simply come up additional theories to prove you're still right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: bigt61
They are taxing carbon - the "pollution" they're talking about is carbon dioxide - the stuff that comes out of your mouth when you exhale. If you are breathing in CA, you are a polluter. All this to fight the imminent danger of "global warming". I'm glad California is fighting so hard, because the rest of the world isn't, they're too busy laughing.

I'm not laughing when methane is thawing out of permafrost.

http://www.nature.com/news/mysterious-siberian-crater-attributed-to-methane-1.15649

Even if global warming were a hoax, capping carbon output means capping carbon input, which means we can start dictating stricter terms to tinpot dictators all over the world in the interest of our national security. Right now we're busy sucking up for cheap oil.

Winner !!!!!

Too bad for California. Topography and a large population do not bode well for clean air.

The reality is that the jump in price could be less. Can't make your cake and eat it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back