California, and recycling used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
new engine oil is not the same as used engine oil from a hazardous waste classification.

Sounds like the employee either came up with that to get out of doing something he/she doesn't like or was taught that from someone else at the store to get out of dealing with used oil. There was an Advanced Auto Parts store north of the Ohio State University on N. High St. That store always had an oil tank full sign on the door the whole time it existed. The store eventually closed a few years before the Carquest buyout and the nearest AAP was miles away in the ghetto. Lazy employees.

Despite the actions of this Autozone, I still will assert it's better practice to use a reusable container to dispose of oil if you're dropping the oil off, rather than back filling empties.
So you better using the reusable container like they said before getting on the high horse and calling the employees lazy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Bogus, have not been told anything about that. Legally they are supposed to pay you for your used oil. There is a form you have to fill out and you get money from the store.

I never remember them having to fill out a form, but I regularly paid people out when I worked at AZ for their used oil. It's like 40 or 50 cents, but I'm sure it adds up.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
My local town transfer station takes the used oil AND the containers (I also use cat litter containers) as a matter of course. We don't need 50 Leftyfornia bureaucrats at 100K per year to bleep it up.
You got that right!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not too long ago, AAP was basically giving away Hopkins plastic used oil jugs, like this-
71CxVAGuqjL._SY355_.jpg

I got four free ones & just take them to AZ & dump them (and reuse the jugs). Sounds like a good way to keep contaminated containers out of the landfill!
Wish I got in on that. Oh well.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not too long ago, AAP was basically giving away Hopkins plastic used oil jugs, like this-
71CxVAGuqjL._SY355_.jpg

I got four free ones & just take them to AZ & dump them (and reuse the jugs). Sounds like a good way to keep contaminated containers out of the landfill!

Thats what I use and it makes it easy.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
... Thats what I use and it makes it easy.
How is it any easier, more reuseable, or otherwise any better than a(n equally reusable) container that once contained new oil? It just adds more plastic to the waste stream.

I had not considered the difference between recycling a new oil container and a formerly new oil container contaminated with used motor oil in terms of recycling.

I did see the convenience of returning the used oil into the container housing my oil of choice.

I'll consider steps to reduce my impact further.

Previous experiences with drain pans/containers with large caps, as the AZ employee pointed at, were so abysmal I never again considered them. When directed to use such a product again those abysmal experiences of yesteryear, returned full force.

I know of some people that think that the used motor oil bin is for any toxic liquid they no longer want. Policing this should not be required, but human nature is to abuse, unless there is consequence, and in that situation, there still seems to be a desire to try and get away with it, then brag about it if successful.

Perhaps. I'll let my new jug drip upside down into my sump for hours and recycle it, and then use an old one for dropping off used oil for recycling.

But if there is a law that makes it more inconvenient for those who change their oil themselves, to properly recycle it, is likely going to have opposite the intended result, as humans are more self centered than ever, and yes, I realize the hypocracy.

The AZ where I take oil told me anything but coolant could go in the tank...oil, ATF, gear oil, hydraulic fluid, all fine.

what i do is let the empties drain over the drain pan or disposal jug versus the sump so you can complete your job.

yes you are technically wasting a few ml of new oil, but in the grand scheme of things those ml weren't needed anyway as at the end of the oci youre nowhere near low.

if you feel the need to get every last drop thats your prerogative, but i will say do you also drain your eggshells to get the last drop of egg also?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: E150GT
... Thats what I use and it makes it easy.
How is it any easier, more reuseable, or otherwise any better than a(n equally reusable) container that once contained new oil? It just adds more plastic to the waste stream.

if you choose to reuse your mobil1 jug, it wasnt designed for that purpose. it was designed as cheaply as possible to transport new oil one time to keep prices low.

perhaps the plastic may react with used oil contaminants slightly degrading it-esp. if you drain warm or hot.
Then there maybe a time, not immediately, but 5 or 10 reuses down the line that a seam in your trusty mobil1 jug fails and now you have 5quarts of oil in your garage or trunk that takes a pack of kitty litter and a roll of towels to clean up. and all of that then goes to the landfill.

Last edited:
Ya' really think the container designated for used oil will somehow be made of superior material? I might grant that typical 5-quart containers in which oil is sold is more durable than those for milk or water---as in made of similar HDPE, but thicker. However, I used the same plastic milk jug for used oil for nearly a decade with no leaks.

I take oil to Autozone in a 5 gallon can and they don't say anything about it. I also don't feel out forms or get a refund. Oriely won't take more than 5 gallons and require a signature.

I've found that it's all over the map in terms of signatures but refunds at .40 cents a gallon are only at state certified locations...which there aren't any near me. Generally, I've noticed that retail chain outlets will require a signature and gas stations or similar will not. Along the same lines, these retail outlets will often have marked oil container recycling bins where the employees dump the containers after draining them into the sump. Who knows with the others if you're not taking the container back.

Maybe it's just that I live in a state pushing 40 million people, but I'm less concerned with "Kalifornia" politicians dictating X where used oil is concerned as I am idiot effs who think it's their god given right to put whatever they want into the containers ( and in whatever container they want ) and eventually makes it that much harder to recycle oil or find a location that will take it without hassle or bureaucracy. It doesn't take much brain synapse firing to figure that one out if you rail against the bureaucracy while helping to create more.

Bogus. First, it's not a hazardous waste if it is to be recycled, it becomes a hazardous material and never enters the RCRA world. Second, it is a consumer commodity, meaning if the consumer bought it, it is not subject to RCRA regulations. Ever wonder why you can buy small batteries or other hazardous goods at Walmart without a EPA ID number? Consumer commodity. But if I bought the same thing for my business.....a whole other world of regulations open up and you enter the RCRA universe.

I work for a Haz Waste company, and volunteer to work Household Hazardous Waste collections. I see used oil brought in in some very strange containers. The people that put it back into the original 1 quart container, really amaze me.

Oil is poured off, container goes with normal trash...

Used oil works great for lighting fires in my fire pit. If I ever get around to it, I might build a garage heater out of a 55-gallon drum to burn it in, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back