calcium & magnesium in motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just talked to the chevron/texaco tech rep and ge told me that the only difference between the Chevron Supreme and the Havoline is Chevron uses 100% calcium for the dtergent package and texaco uses mostly calcium, with a very smal amount of magnesium.
Which is a better formulation?
Cheers!
SoftPoint

quote:

Originally posted by SoftPoint:
I just talked to the chevron/texaco tech rep and ge told me that the only difference between the Chevron Supreme and the Havoline is Chevron uses 100% calcium for the dtergent package and texaco uses mostly calcium, with a very smal amount of magnesium.
Which is a better formulation?
Cheers!
SoftPoint

It has been reported that in HD fleet and diesel oils, magnesium contributed to upper cylinder/ ring belt wear. Nevertheless, Delvac 1 (an oil that many people think can "walk on water") has a substantial amount of magnesium in it. And the old Mobil 1 TriSyn formula had a HUGE amount in it, and was notorious for posting poor wear numbers.

Softpoint - wow good technical chat with a rep! Hat's off to Chev/Tex.

I, too have heard that calcium compounds tend to be "softer" on/to metals.

But what we are talking about are periodic table group IIA elements attached to organics (carbon) rings/chains - what effect does the compound molecule have. rather than just the soft metal group IIA selection?

Can we try this with Sr?

magnesium also leave a higher sulfated ash than calcium. From some analisis I've seen I think it may deplete faster as well.

Wonder how, then, Delvac 1 has developed such an outstanding reputation if it has such a considerable "weakness." As G-Man II alluded to, some of our members think incredibly highly of D1, but it seems to me the two areas you all have pointed out (wear and ash) could be significant detractors if in actual use they have a noticeable impact.

Another thing, if humans don't take calcium and magnesium in the proper ratio (2:1), well...their...ummm....filter can get stopped up.
grin.gif
Don't know what happens in engines.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Wonder how, then, Delvac 1 has developed such an outstanding reputation if it has such a considerable "weakness." *-*-*-

It's all about how well the oil does in REAL life in REAL everyday engines. People just don't get it even here IMO. YOU guys think it's just about the numbers, and it is not. It is about ROI and what works and what doesn't. Sure a lot of stuff will get by, and sure you don't need any specific brand and sure some is better than others for X test or Y test or Z test, and seem to think the Virgin can tell you about the Actual results, when they can't. They Can not.

He who describes and distinguishes well teaches well. I'm sorry I do not.

A false decription does not vitiate;
A false description does not injure;
provided the thing or person intended has once been sufficiently described. Mere false description does not make an instrument in-operative. And to define is to detremine with precision or exhibit clearly the boundaries thereof. You will preceive many things much more easily by practice than by rules.
--- Basically the proof is in the pudding, and IMHO, not many here have had enough pudding.

Even with many oil changes on the SAME oil, the mere fact that the automobile ages or the fact that a single component is older or clearly more dirty than another, will alter the end result.
There are many many many factors that determine an oils contamination, and how well it rates as the so called "BEST"... But IMO DELVAC is a TOP rated OIL, yes DELO is too, and there are dozens.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Robbie,

you think the folks on this board ponder oil just a tad too much?

rolleyes.gif

I'll have you know I don't think about oil more than 16 hours a day!
wink.gif
By the by, I don't see people "quoting numbers" in the posts above (granted, numbers are a heavy focus in UOAs); they are citing and correlating information they have seen.

[ October 08, 2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Robbie,

rolleyes.gif

No Sir, NOT Enough Sir.
I use to wonder and worry about myself.
I use to and still do Dream about oil while I'm working all day long. Good thing I'm in my truck all day. Now I know that there are some things I am NORMAL on.

quote:

Originally posted by Robbie Alexander:

quote:

Robbie,

rolleyes.gif

No Sir, NOT Enough Sir.
I use to wonder and worry about myself.
I use to and still do Dream about oil while I'm working all day long. Good thing I'm in my truck all day. Now I know that there are some things I am NORMAL on.

Robbie,

If you think about oil all the time then what synthetic oil should I use in my new 331 stroker motor with a roller cam. It turns about 10K rpms. I only drive the car on nice days and weekends but I will get on it as soon as I get a couple of miles on it. Redline, Amsoil, Mobil 1? What weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back