Cafe vs EPA 25 is the new 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
here

The other thread was getting long and off topic .this is interesting seems there are loop holes big enough to drive a F250 thru,and a
lot of cars are already very close to meeting the new standards.
Remember when the EPA change the milage teast and everybody dropped 20%?( to better reflect real world drivers mileage?).
There are F150 that are within 1.5 mpg of the standard now,you wonder why the CEO's were laughing.

I think the new rules are targeting combined fuel mileage. Lots of small to midsize cars are getting ~ 35 mpg highway butt under 30 combined.

From what I gathered from this is that the domestic manufacturers would no longer be at a disadvantage because they make more trucks than the imports. That's why there are 2 classes. One for cars and one for trucks/SUV's. My opinion is that in at least 1/2 of the time, one can substitute a car for an SUV. This could potentially double your economy. If I drive my car to work instead of my compact p/u, I get 25% better mileage. When I go to different cities (I am a truck driver), I am amazed that we can even produce enough fuel to power them all. So if every individual works on saving fuel, it will make a big difference. But for sure something needs to be done to raise the CAFE standard in my opinion.

We will always have people who insist on driving a big SUV or mega size pickup by themselves. I think ALL people haulers used for daily drivers (not school buses etc) should have the same restrictions. Only exceptions would be trucks meant for construction purposes ie. GVW <15,000 lbs and even those should have some restrictions.

In part, for the same reason people won't buy electric vehicles with a 40 mile range because it only meets 90% of their needs (can't take it on long trips), people won't buy commuter cars that only meet 90% of their needs (can't haul the family and toys on weekends). That's not taking into account the people who buy it only for their egos.

I wish I could have two vehicles, a commuter car and a hauler. For most people the extra expense of insurance, licensing, and driveway footprint negates anything saved by having an econobox for a second car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back