CAFE exemption

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can't privately import a single, one-off, European import for weekend pleasure then I think it's ridiculous to allow a huge, worldwide, industry leading corporation (or three) to import nearly a half-million cars because their sales are low 'IN COMPARISON'.

There is money involved here someplace.

Is this per manufacturer or per model? If this is per model, then I can see hone eagle's prediction come true where manufacturers will market their cars under distinct subcategories.

It's like we're going full circle again. The last time CAFE came out, trucks and SUVs were exempted to not penalize the contractors who need these vehicles to make a living. The market that followed was an aberration of the spirit of the CAFE rules.

It just goes to show that CAFE again will have no teeth. It's just something enacted to appease the voters that "something is done" by our elected officials to stop our dependence on foreign oil. I fully suspect that the lawmakers will do nothing to close this loophole. It may also explain why Ford didn't bat an eyelash to the new CAFE requirements.

I;m sorry but that is pretty ridiculous. It's either they all get in, or those that don't shouldn't be allowed to sell their vehicles.

Its as if the "rich" are exempt from it, and they shouldn't be. They sell these luxury cars for obscene amounts of money, I'm sure they can regulate their emissions on the vehicles or just cut back on the HP etc.

If you read carefully its not a done deal yet (the way I read it) so you Americans can still lobby your congressman/state rep?
Once enacted they can apply for extensions every 4 years.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
If I can't privately import a single, one-off, European import for weekend pleasure then I think it's ridiculous to allow a huge, worldwide, industry leading corporation (or three) to import nearly a half-million cars because their sales are low 'IN COMPARISON'.

There is money involved here someplace.
+1
thumbsup2.gif
Total B.S.

Does GM qualify under the less than 400k cars/year rule yet?
27.gif

S.A. remarks aside, it's just not right.

From the article
Quote:
Between 2007 and 2008, the U.S. collected $76 million in fines from German auto makers for violating fuel-economy regulations, according to a government report published this year. The German companies say the U.S. rules are unfair, since as makers of sporty, powerful vehicles they cannot offset their most gas-guzzling models with smaller, more fuel-efficient models as easily as can high-volume car manufacturers with broader product ranges.

That is bologna, Mercedes can't claim that they are even trying to meet the CAFE fleet average because they don't import their most economical cars into the US. Until Mercedes sells the A class and B class cars into the US, they aren't even trying.

Last edited:
So BMW and M-B get more time to keep their high-mpg diesels and smaller-displacement motors out of our market.

They have the technology, but they don't want to import significant numbers of small-displacement vehicles because of "branding" issues.

Look at their offerings in other markets. You'll all sorts of medium-size (E-Class, 5 Series) and large (S-Class, 7 Series) cars with smaller-displacement gasoline engines, as well as a range of efficient diesels.

This is just crazy. If people can't see the trouble we're in with this adminstration???????? It's just unbelievable, this is not the country I was born into.

Last edited:
They are laughing at you .
Cali forces CAFE on the rest of middle america,but gets to keep their S class merc's and big bimmer's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back