Cadillac XT6 transmission

So, my buddy just but a brand new 2020 XT6 about 3 weeks ago. He asked me to detail his car, got it polished coated etc (btw, paint quality is quite poor, tons of blemishes, dust under the clear etc). Anyhow, he was just texting me yesterday and apparently tranny failed on monday (was slipping first then got stuck in first gear), so he had it towed and got it back on Wednesday with a brand new tranny. No questions asked. Tranny was in stock. He doesn't know exactly what happened but here you have it. The speed they got it swapped and tranny in stocks makes me wonder....65K SUV

GM has a pilot program running on the 9 speed transmission. Generally on warranty for an internal transmission issue the servicing dealer would have to do a cost analysis once the root cause of failure is found to determine whether to repair or replace the transmission. If cost to repair exceeds a certain threshold the unit would be replaced. If not, it would be repaired. Currently, on the 9 speed dealers are not to repair any internal issue, they are supposed to replace the box. The only exception is the torque converter can be replaced if it fails. Otherwise, external seals, gaskets. mounts, and cooler items are all that is replaced. Dealers are not allowed to stock the transmission, it must be ordered for the vin number but the part order upgrades to an overnight order automatically.

GM is doing this for two reasons, one it turns the vehicle back faster while allowing more time for technicians to become familiar with the transmission, and two it gets failed units back to engineering intact for failure analysis so if any design changes need to be made in production and for service parts they can be made.

wow; stay away you people!
I have no idea if this granny is a gem or a lemon, but it can happen to all of them. A couple of years ago, my wife rented a Toyota that had a complete transmission failure while she drove it. That car had a grand total of 1,900 miles on it.

I have no idea if this granny is a gem or a lemon, but it can happen to all of them. A couple of years ago, my wife rented a Toyota that had a complete transmission failure while she drove it. That car had a grand total of 1,900 miles on it.
no question it could happen to anyone at anytime; but the emphasis is on the vehicle with $65K sticker price

Back