Caddy DTS 2,000 miles on synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! thanks for all your help! i couldn't figure out how to easily post results. first check of my Cadillac oil, blackstone. 28,000 miles on car, 2,000 miles on oil. wear metals all very very low, they said to let the oil go to 5000 miles next time. lead was 3, moly was 40. silicon was 4. no contaminants in the oil.

question: i want this car to last forever. how many miles should i leave this oil in for? I am willing to waste money on oil to save a $40,000 car.

thanks for all your past help!

Bob

thank you! will probably start by going 5000 miles and test oil. i do stop and go driving, 7 miles to work. i do want this car to last years and years. thanks! bob

Originally Posted By: Robertslowpoke
thank you! will probably start by going 5000 miles and test oil. i do stop and go driving, 7 miles to work. i do want this car to last years and years. thanks! bob

Engines really don't wear out no matter what oil or OCI. The rest of your car will give up the ghost long before your engine does

thanks bluestream! i notice you have a 1991 BMW! great! as far as the rest of the car, i keep it clean and waxed, and will now do radiator fluid and trans fluid. any other advice? what do you do to keep your older cars running?

thanks
bob

What oil and filter did you use?

5000-7500 miles is a nice OCI.

For most people a 7500 mile OCI would bring their oil changes down to about 2 a year.

To have it last a lifetime make sure all the other things are changed on time as well like coolant, tranny fluid etc....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robertslowpoke

This is my situation too. Nova traffic ftw.

If you want it to last, don't slowpoke it make sure it gets a WOT runs on to freeways regularly.

This will help keep the carbon build-up from forming that will cause cold piston knock and stuck rings.

Use top tier fuels with.

Change the coolant more often than recommended.

I would stick with a good synthetic oil with a reputation for cleaning well.

thank you Willix!! great! on advice from this forum, i take it for 30 minutes each saturday at 65 mph on the highway, and switched to v power shell gas. will do coolant now, and mobil one oil. great!

how is your 96 eldorado? does that have a northstar?

thanks to all

bob

I am guilty of Sunday driving & it showed when I pulled the throttle body off to clean it at 100,000.

The pre 2000 N*'s had some issues that for the most part were revised in 2001 and more refinements have made the later model N*'s a much better engine.

Flushing the coolant is a good idea at 25 to 35,000 miles. IMO 150,000miles on coolant is a stupid idea.

Change the P/S at fluid at 50,000 miles or the consequences get expensive.

My N* has been great, I am the second owner & I have put 63,000 miles on it and the drivetrain is real good.

It runs perfect but I am devoloping a Half block oil leak. The coolant pump failed a 85K & coolant manifold gaskets failed at 104K.

Here is a very active website you should be involved in.
Cadillacowners.com

Last edited:
THank you Willix! i have heard from many people to change the coolant now, will do.

what is a half block oil leak?

and thanks for the website cadillacowners!

best

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back