Cab off video of my Detroit 4-53T swap into a 2009 F350

I put many hours on equipment running 4-53's. Never saw one in a truck. Quite a project.

Cool
cool.gif

I'm curious how you're getting that 5R110W to work with an "analog" 2-stroke Detroit - standalone TCU taking in vehicle speed off the ABS/ASR/ESP unit and engine RPM/kickdown off a separate Hall sensor and SPST switch on the injection pump linkage or some kind of E-Gas trickery like many buses using a 6V-92TA used to interface with a Allison ATEC or ZF/Voith electronically-controlled transmission did?

To get the 5R110 to shift I'm using the Ford oem TCM and PCM and 13 sensors off the 6.4 to give the two computers the signals they're looking for. The most important sensors are TPS, RPM, boost, maf, intake temp, fuel temp, coolant temp, oil temp and vehicle speed The rest is mainly for monitoring systems. I'm tuning the transmission with HPTuners to set the shift points, it's basically RPM and vehicle speed that is changed. I have a lot to learn with HPtuners, but will go step by step until all the shifts are to my liking. I've tuned out the check engine light as well as the wrench light which is a good start. I'm now turning up the governor to 3200 RPM and putting the larger injectors in as this will aid the 5R110 in shifting as well.

Very cool project. Make sure you post a vid of it running in this thread once you get it all together.

Originally Posted by A310
To get the 5R110 to shift I'm using the Ford oem TCM and PCM and 13 sensors off the 6.4 to give the two computers the signals they're looking for. The most important sensors are TPS, RPM, boost, maf, intake temp, fuel temp, coolant temp, oil temp and vehicle speed The rest is mainly for monitoring systems.

Ah - sounds like you transplanted the 6.4's sensors onto the 4L-53T. But since older diesels don't have a throttle in the intake path, you're using the IP or governor as the source for a TPS signal?

nthach, The TPS signal comes off the throttle pedal, I just added a cable to it so the Detroit's throttle can work.:) The cable system is from a Ford Triton V10 as will be the cruise control in future.

That makes total sense then - DBW throttle and the signal is still intact. You just had to make a mechanical connection.

Back