C8 Daily Driver

I'm too used to a Mercedes. My boss has one, only drives it in nice weather, has it parked for the winter. Only has summer tires on it so as soon as the first snow starts or just before, he parks it for the rest of the year. But he does swap between that and an Audi S8, depends if he needs a back seat or not. I've gotten rides a few times, it's a little too rough for me, idle isn't smooth and you hear it which I guess is what Vette owners like, makes me notice that my Mercedes is much smoother and quieter, you barely notice that the engine is even on.

I'm too used to a Mercedes. My boss has one, only drives it in nice weather, has it parked for the winter. Only has summer tires on it so as soon as the first snow starts or just before, he parks it for the rest of the year. But he does swap between that and an Audi S8, depends if he needs a back seat or not. I've gotten rides a few times, it's a little too rough for me, idle isn't smooth and you hear it which I guess is what Vette owners like, makes me notice that my Mercedes is much smoother and quieter, you barely notice that the engine is even on.
Quiet is good for long trips
That would be the negative

Makes lots of sense considering the low depreciation.

If you can deal with the height, ingress, egress and insurance.

Looks OK to me. I don't like the square exhaust tips though.

View attachment 51137
L

Saw my first C8 in person today. Exactly this same color pulled up next to me at the CoOp station in town. (Top tier)

The paint looks way better in person than pics.
No, I wouldn't ever drive any Corvette as a DD. Not enough F/R ground clearance for average streets, but darn fun on weekend mountain trips.

Interestingly enough, had temp tags bought today. Given the weird foul weather in Colorado lately, I'm thinking they were on the way home home from the dealer. Two middle-aged women inside. Good on em!

Funny, but about 10 minutes earlier, saw maybe the best C7 I've ever seen. Really low and black and gold. The roads are dry, but I wouldn't have a nice car out for about six more weeks.

I have a customer with a 2008 C6 Corvette Convertible (LS3/6L80E) that's approaching 250,000 miles. It's his only car & other than motorcycles.....His only ride.
I've maintained it since new so I know exactly what's been done to reach the mileage, He doesn't drive it very hard.
It's needed......
*Driver side electric door latch (Twice)
*Convertible Top Hatch electric latch
*Alternator
*Starter
*Water Pump
*Throttle Body (Early Silver Blade....Very difficult to source new OE)
*Radiator
*ABS Module
*Power Steering Rack, Electric Spool Valve was bad, Discontinued by GM.....Sourced a broken low mileage rack to rob the spool valve & had the old rack resealed. This was expensive & time consuming.
*High pressure Power Steering Hose
*New Harmonic Balancer (Standard procedure when the Steering Rack is removed)
*New Torque Tube Assembly as one of the rubber isolators had failed.
*Billet Torque Converter installed as the Transmission has to be removed to replace the Torque Tube.
*TCM (TECHM) twice
*Shift Cable
*Shifter Assembly
*Rear Leaf Spring, Bumper Stand broke loose from the Fiberglass Spring.
*Left rear Wheel Bearing
*Plugs & Wires (Twice)
*Oil Pressure Sending Unit.
*It's only needed one set of brake pads & still sports it's original brake rotors.

While it's not a C8....This is pretty indicative of C5's & C6's when used as a commuter as the miles pile on.

I drove a friends c8- first immpressions, poor rear visabiliity, hard to get out of (I'm older) & even with the stock suspension on our California poorly maintained in town roads- ride was choppy
Verdict- excellent hiway trip car, seats very comfortable- all in all a great car, but not for short trips to the store etc.
This coming from someone who is still on the fence about ordering one.
Ordering- expect around an 18 month wait unless you want to pay a big premimum for a slightly used one

I drive my C6 as much as possible as long as its dry out and above freezing. Thought seriously about getting all season tires, but honestly what's the point of driving one in winter conditions. Its my daily for a good 9-10 months of the year.

I used to work at a Chevy dealership many moons ago. You do not buy a auto Vette and you do not put a bunch of miles on one. The attitude then. The dealership hated Vette customers. Most were chronic complainers.

Today we ride around in trucks that cost more than Corvettes. Plus those trucks work hard and we use them.

Would you daily drive a Vette?
I take care of my stuff and I would.
Tires aren't cheap but truck tires aren't and they eat gas.
I know plenty of people who daily'ed them. I had two cars when I owned a Z06, mainly because it was a toy to me, and I wanted it to retain value, which it did very well.

Daily drove a crap can 911 and sold it with almost 190k miles...

So why not a 'vette?

You should be put on 30 day probation for calling a Porsche a crap can. Besides, they are for wealthy people that own other crap can cars they drive every day like a Mercedes S430 or something like that. Really, you need 3 cars...lol

Nope, I doubt it would be able to clear the end of my driveway without something underneath the car hitting the ground.

You should be put on 30 day probation for calling a Porsche a crap can. Besides, they are for wealthy people that own other crap can cars they drive every day like a Mercedes S430 or something like that. Really, you need 3 cars...lol
I loved that car but it was a pile that realistically need about $6-7k in parts due to age and mileage.

I used to work at a Chevy dealership many moons ago. You do not buy a auto Vette and you do not put a bunch of miles on one. The attitude then. The dealership hated Vette customers. Most were chronic complainers.

Today we ride around in trucks that cost more than Corvettes. Plus those trucks work hard and we use them.

Would you daily drive a Vette?
I take care of my stuff and I would.
Tires aren't cheap but truck tires aren't and they eat gas.

I would totally daily drive a 'Vette, although at 6ft5in tall it might not be very comfortable.

If I can afford a 'Vette, I can afford replacement tires.

Honestly, if I am going to daily drive a high horsepower, rear wheel drive car I would much rather have a Mustang GT or Challenger Hellcat.

^ My 3 Porsches averaged 5k for a pair of rear tires. The motorcycle in the avatar was not my race bike, but on the track it averaged 140/150 miles for a rear tire. The center of the tire was still useable...

High HP cars might be alot of fun to daily drive, but your gonna pay the price one way or the other!

I had a 98 SS Camaro that could not get more than 140 miles on a tank of fuel, lol

Back