C7 Corvette track toy and weekend cruiser what oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this forum, everyone is very helpful and also help solidify my oil selection on my last track toy / weekend car, which was a 2013 ZL1.

I currently have a 2016 C7 Z51 Corvette with a dry sump that holds 9.8 qt of oil. The car is only driven on the road course, autocross and then on the streets during the weekend. I live in Houston Texas, so it rarely gets cold here. GM recommends Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 but if you're tracking it to use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 15W-50. Since I primarily track the car with some weekend cruising I just keep the 15W-50 in the car and make sure it is warmed up sufficiently before I drive it around. Prior to the Corvette I had a 2013 ZL1 and used Pennzoil Platinum Ultra 5W-30, it saw temps just below 300*F and even sometimes peaked at just over 300*F however oil analysis always came back fine. I was very impressed with that oil, unfortunately Pennzoil doesn't make the Platinum Ultra in 15W-50. So do I stick with the Mobil 1 or go with something else?

Based on my oil analysis with the Pennzoil I found that 3-4 track events, plus some daily driving all around 3,000 miles total was a good point to change the oil out, so I will be using the 3,000 mile interval as my starting point. The car currently has just over 4,000 miles on the engine and about 3,000 on the oil so I will be making my next change very soon.

The oil that is in the car currently that has 3,000 miles on it is the 15W-50 and the car seems to run fantastic.

Maybe try a run of Mobil 1 0w40 then do a UOA it seems to work quite well in most applications.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Use a 5 qt jug of 5w30 mixed with a 5 qt jug of 15w50

Might as well just use a 40 grade if you're going to do that. At least you'll know that add packs are the same. Fwiw, 5w-30 in Mobil 1 is drastically different in the add pack vs their 0w-40. And I would suspect that's the case for the 50 grade too. The best 40 grade oils are also certified for performance engines by major European auto mfgs. That's not usually the case for M1 5w-30.

The 15w-50 is a great oil . the 5W 30 is for CAFE. The 15w is good to at least 15*f starts

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Valvoline Vr1 racing 20w50 full synthetic might be worth considering.

My concern (and why I'm posting here) is that the cold weight of a 15w or in the case of VR1, 20w, seems like a lot for something that is sometimes driven on the streets, considering the standard is 5w.

I don't understand why GM wouldn't recommend a 0W-40 over a 15W-50. Seems like a closer match to the 5W-30 that is the normal fill.

Originally Posted By: BaylorCamaro
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Valvoline Vr1 racing 20w50 full synthetic might be worth considering.

My concern (and why I'm posting here) is that the cold weight of a 15w or in the case of VR1, 20w, seems like a lot for something that is sometimes driven on the streets, considering the standard is 5w.

I don't understand why GM wouldn't recommend a 0W-40 over a 15W-50. Seems like a closer match to the 5W-30 that is the normal fill.
I am missing the logic on the viscosity ? How cold are your winter starts?

I believe GM gives track warranty for the Corvette. Therefore I would not mess around and use the oil they recommend for track events.
In my case (2016 Camaro SS which has the same engine as you Corvette) GM. Recommend Dexos2 0W40 or 5W40 for track events. I want to keep my track warranty in case my engine blow up on the track.

BaylorCamaro ... I have to admit, I am jealous that you own this fine machine.

15W50 indeed. Dream easy..about driving such a great car...if I had the means, I would like one above any other sub $100K car.

If GM says 15w-50 for track use, keep that in the sump all of the time. It never gets cold enough in Texas to worry about it.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Use a 5 qt jug of 5w30 mixed with a 5 qt jug of 15w50
Why ???

Originally Posted By: mbar1
I believe GM gives track warranty for the Corvette. Therefore I would not mess around and use the oil they recommend for track events.
In my case (2016 Camaro SS which has the same engine as you Corvette) GM. Recommend Dexos2 0W40 or 5W40 for track events. I want to keep my track warranty in case my engine blow up on the track.

The 6th generation Camaro and 7th generation Corvette use the same LT1 so it is odd that the owners manual suggests 0W40 or 5W40 for the Camaro while the Corvette owners manual suggests 15W50

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
BaylorCamaro ... I have to admit, I am jealous that you own this fine machine.

15W50 indeed. Dream easy..about driving such a great car...if I had the means, I would like one above any other sub $100K car.

Thanks! It's a fun car for sure, put a hurt on a Ferrari 458's owner at TWS, not bad for an old push rod engine
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
If GM says 15w-50 for track use, keep that in the sump all of the time. It never gets cold enough in Texas to worry about it.

Roger that on the viscosity, but was also curious about brand. I don't have much experience with Mobil 1 in harsh track conditions, just the Pennzoil Platinum Ultra, which is not made in 15W50.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
+1 this would be the first oil on the list I run.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd stick with the GM recommended Mobil 1 15W50 and use it year round.

+1 no need to reinvent the wheel. Run 15w50 year round unless you plan a trip north in the colder months. In that case use any Dexos approved 5w30.

Sweet car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back