C230 sitting for a couple months, thoughts?

wlk

My son got new orders and now will be out to sea for a couple months to 4 months at a time now. His 98 C230 will be sitting for that time and I was wondering if any oil or an additive may help cling better to the cylinder walls to help protect upon start up when back on shore. Right now we have Mobil1 Euro 5w40 in it and only used about 8oz when we just checked it last month in the 3k miles. This is a new to him car bought in April. He will probably be changing it once a year or 5k mile intervals, if it ever reaches that plus short trips will be the norm. I was thinking about having him add some Schaeffer Moly EP or Lubegard Biotech before he leaves on his first trip and at oci after that. Any other suggestions for a different oil perhaps?
Just a thought, probably over thinking it and maybe just leave it as is. The current M1 5w40 has only about 3k miles on it, car has about 160k on her and he was probably going to start once a year changes next year. Car will be in Hawaii for the next 3yrs. Thanks

Leave it be. M1 Euro is a very fine oil. It needs no help from other additives. And Mercedes is very specific in their Owners Manuals. They strongly discourage the use of additives.

However, cars don't like to sit for a long time. This isn't the engine, but everything, from tires to transmissions, batteries to brakes. Overall, it is much harder on a car to sit than it is to be driven. Does your son have anyone that could take it out for a drive every few weeks?

Reactions: wlk
That motor oil needs nothing. Someone once said that we get too hung up on crankcase lubrication, and forget that fuel system needs lubrication too. I do one of the following 2 options, and never have issues with engines that sit.
- 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to every 10 gallons of fuel.
- 2oz of TC-W3 2-stroke oil to every 10 gallons of fuel. (TC-W3 can aid in preventing carbon build up in piston rings. Common issue in short tripped vehicles, or vehicles that sit.)
I like TC-W3 option more for fuel, but MMO is great too. And MMO has wider range of applications, but that's a deeper rabbit hole than this thread was meant for.

Leave it be. M1 Euro is a very fine oil. It needs no help from other additives. And Mercedes is very specific in their Owners Manuals. They strongly discourage the use of additives.

However, cars don't like to sit for a long time. This isn't the engine, but everything, from tires to transmissions, batteries to brakes. Overall, it is much harder on a car to sit than it is to be driven. Does your son have anyone that could take it out for a drive every few weeks?
Unfortunately at this point he will not have anyone to drive the car

That motor oil needs nothing. Someone once said that we get too hung up on crankcase lubrication, and forget that fuel system needs lubrication too. I do one of the following 2 options, and never have issues with engines that sit.
- 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to every 10 gallons of fuel.
- 2oz of TC-W3 2-stroke oil to every 10 gallons of fuel. (TC-W3 can aid in preventing carbon build up in piston rings. Common issue in short tripped vehicles, or vehicles that sit.)
I like TC-W3 option more for fuel, but MMO is great too. And MMO has wider range of applications, but that's a deeper rabbit hole than this thread was meant for.
We were going to put some fuel stabilizer in the gas. Tcw3 is a good alternative thought too, thanks

Where is it being stored, in a garage or outside? In either case, keep the battery charged, or disconnect the negative cable.

Just fill it up with gas before storing. I let my sports cars and motorcycles sit 4-5 months (inside a garage) over the winter, and that's all I do. Been doing it for decades without any issues.

Where is it being stored, in a garage or outside? In either case, keep the battery charged, or disconnect the negative cable.

Just fill it up with gas before storing. I let my sports cars and motorcycles sit 4-5 months (inside a garage) over the winter, and that's all I do. Been doing it for decades without any issues.
It should be in a garage he said and he was going to pull the negative cable. I told him to fill it up prior to leaving, hopefully he remembers. Was going to add some ethanol fuel treatment/stabilizer.

full gas tank, parked indoors, plugged into a battery tender is how i leave my desert sw snowbird 2014 toyota yaris for 3-4 months at a time. oci is 18-24 months at about 3000 miles. runs like a top.

Can of Sea Foam in a full tank of fuel (be sure the vehicle is ran after adding Sea Foam) and a battery tender.

Reactions: wlk
He added Stabil and believe he disconnected the battery. He left the car at base and put a car cover on it. He will be back in a week or two so hope all goes well.

Back