C&P on Four New Filters for 2016 Yukon XL Denali

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Nice C&P info ... thanks. But a few comments - see your text in red.

Nobody can tell how an oil filter flows just by looking at it. Only way to know for sure is to see measured delta-p vs flow data.

I think you have the WIX XP mixed up with the Ultra. The WIX XP clearly shows to have the "removable neck that seats into the filter where the ADBV then seats" The Ultra has no such neck. And yes, that looks like a metal-to-metal "seal".

Good catch... thanks. I'll edit the post and update.
cheers3.gif
(edit: I can't edit the previous post since there are already replies)
I think my eyes must have gone crossed from all the photo embed code
grin.gif

Also, I wasn't trying to imply I had done the delta-p vs flow data measurement... apologies if I gave that impression. Was interesting for me to see the physical construct of each filter once opened up from an observational perspective... realizing it's irrelevance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WingsAA
Hello.
I wanted to contribute to the forum since I've been doing a fair amount of research since joining. Since 2000, I've always had GM (2000 Suburban, 2007 Suburban, 2016 Yukon XL Denali) and have been consistent on my oil filters and oil. Previously used Mobil 1 EP for the past two vehicles and for the Denali, I've been running Mobil 1 AP 0W-20 and the M1-212A filter. I've never had any issues over the years with the oil or filters so I stayed consistent. I recently decided to research some of the other filter options available as I'm a bit anal on maintenance but that's another issue. At any rate, I got several of the filters for my Denali and wanted to dissect them to learn and share with y'all as well. I know several have been posted but I wanted to show them collectively in case anyone had any questions regarding the related vehicle they could find in one place. So without further delay...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ACDelco PF63E

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WIX WL10255XP

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thank You for all the c&p
smile.gif

Excellent dissection pics, you spent some money on this effort. All look to be useable filters, though construction wise I would put the Ultra, M1 and XP in a class above the ACDelco. Silicone adbvs and construction and media better suited to extended OCIs in my observation and opinion.

The one pic I particularly take note of is the second in the OP showing all the filters cut and their resting position after being cut. The XP is of most interest because it shows how elevated the element and baseplate is above the rest of can in comparison to the others. Having cut open a fair amount Napa Gold/(Wix) filters myself, I've observed the same many times. I mention it because at points I've read comments similar to yours about the metal on metal seal used between the Wix traditional thread end bypass and the endcap. Between the milling of the metal on the two surfaces and the pressure exerted by the coil compression spring as indicated by the pic, I've concluded the seal design works perfectly, as designed. In the case of the XP shown with dome bypass, a spacer (you called neck) is used in place of bypass. Standardization of filter element components would be the most obvious reason.

So I don't believe that the explanation for the XP efficiency as posited. Wix/Napa Gold use a very similar seal design and the beta generally indicates them to be 95%@20um. I believe the XP media is most likely explanation for whatever the efficiency rating of the XP/Nap Plat. As an aside, Champ Labs uses a metal on metal seal on some of their filters, it's on the dome and they use a flat/leaf compression spring.

Thanks for c&p.

Wix XP filter efficiency numbers are 100% the result of the media.

The front mounted bypass is a well established designed and the XP has a good ADBV.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Originally Posted by 69Torino
And you can judge this just by looking at it?
No. By measuring with calipers. All Fram cans are .015". K&N and Mobil 1 by contrast are .020"
I'm was about to say the same thing . Also fram doesn't have many thread . I like Mobil 1 for thick wall and heavy thick base

That's cool. And it's too thin for what again?

Originally Posted by gamefoo21
Wix XP filter efficiency numbers are 100% the result of the media.

The front mounted bypass is a well established designed and the XP has a good ADBV.

It doesn't have a front/base mounted bypass valve. Many of the WIX filters are now using a dome end bypass valve with the spacer neck where the base end valve use to be.

The vast majority Napa Gold/Wix filters continue to use their traditional thread end bypass . There are some exceptions but they don't approach thread end applications.

As for topic XP/Plat, for whatever reason(s) Wix chose dome bypass as in topic. If memory serves though, there may have been anecdote posted not long ago showing thread end bypass on an XP, not positive though. If I have time at some point might search. All that said, for reason noted previously I'm satisfied the seal design works.

Edit Here's a Platinum with thread end bypass. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4731343/Napa_Platinum_4100290_-_update

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by MetalSlug
And you can judge this just by looking at it?
No. By measuring with calipers. All Fram cans are .015". K&N and Mobil 1 by contrast are .020"
I'm was about to say the same thing . Also fram doesn't have many thread . I like Mobil 1 for thick wall and heavy thick base

That's cool. And it's too thin for what again?

Off-roading. Drag racing. Circle track racing. Farming. Hanging off the back of a Honda GX620 in harm's way on my zero turn mower. Fram addressed this need for a more durable filter with the HP Line . However, the other three tiers may not be durable enough for some harsher environments, as are some other filters, such as standard Motorcraft, STP, Supertech etc.

I once had a standard STP filter blow off my Isuzu Trooper while climbing a hill at an off road park, leaving only the tapping plate on the mount. Lost the engine over it. There is nothing wrong with a standard flimsy filter can for the average person competing in the daily rat race. But when I take my fast cars to the drag strip, or have to wheel my 4x4 out of a gnarly spot, or bang the back of my zero turn mower against a fence post, I'm not going to second guess my filter anymore.

So I buy heavy, durable filters. /subject.

OP
Excellent job !!
Thanks for a job well done and for your out of pocket expense.
I like the looks of the M1

Off-roading. Drag racing. Circle track racing. Farming. Hanging off the back of a Honda GX620 in harm's way on my zero turn mower. Fram addressed this need for a more durable filter with the HP Line . However, the other three tiers may not be durable enough for some harsher environments, as are some other filters, such as standard Motorcraft, STP, Supertech etc.

I once had a standard STP filter blow off my Isuzu Trooper while climbing a hill at an off road park, leaving only the tapping plate on the mount. Lost the engine over it. There is nothing wrong with a standard flimsy filter can for the average person competing in the daily rat race. But when I take my fast cars to the drag strip, or have to wheel my 4x4 out of a gnarly spot, or bang the back of my zero turn mower against a fence post, I'm not going to second guess my filter anymore.

So I buy heavy, durable filters. /subject.

Sure thing, okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back