C&P - 4 filters (Valvoline IOC, Champion, Fram Ultra, Generic Hastings)

Decided to rid the garage of used oil filters, I only C&P now till I accumulate a few and get tired of looking at them line the garage wall.

First exhibit: Fram Ultra ordered off Ebay in a six-pack for probably way-too-low price. Likely old stock. I still have a couple if anyone is interested in date codes. XG16 size that came off my Chrysler Pacifica 4.0L, 5K OCI. Filter and Mobil1 AFE 0w-30 were on the car since November 2021 for those curious.

My impressions: filter media seemed to have a bit of delamination of sorts on the outside-- there were tufts of filter media and sometimes large pieces hanging off the outside (there were larger pieces not pictured). They were difficult to pull off and still intact, meaning nothing really seemed to be floating around. Inside the filter showed no obvious signs of anything amiss. Typical Fram Ultra filter otherwise, anti drainback valve still pliable and in good condition, though filter orientation in this car doesn't need it.

FRAM1.jpg

FRAM2.jpg

Exhibit B: Some dirt cheap Rockauto filter on closeout I bought a few years ago that I suspect to be Hastings made-- they're usually easy to tell by inlet holes, and especially the outlet holes in the center tube. It's a PH7317 sized filter that came off my 1996 Nissan Maxima 3.0L, 5-6K OCI, in use since April. Again, because of RA closeout, could be 5-10 years old, who knows. Oil used was Chevron Supreme 10w-30 SN oil bought at an Autozone clearance in 2014-ish.

Impressions: Probably the worst of the bunch as far as quality goes. Sure, it didn't fall apart, but that's the best thing it has going for it. Thinnest media I've ever seen of any filter I've disassembled, and I promise I didn't whack it with a hammer. Those wavy pleats are just as it came out of the can. Seemingly nitrile anti-drain back valve was in surprisingly good condition-- still quite flexible. Engine didn't blow up + filter held together = it did it's job I suppose.

HAST1.jpg

HAST2.jpg

HAST3.jpg

Third Exhibit: Champion COS3593A filter -- also bought on Rockauto closeout for some ridiculously low sub $1 price (search threads for virgin filter C&P, there are several). This also came off my 1996 Maxima; filter was in use for 5-6K OCI (approx 4 months) using Chevron Supreme 5w-30.

Impressions: Probably the best of the bunch. Filter was well made, good pleat spacing, nice pliable ADBV. Filters came shipped loose without a box, made in Mexico, no idea who makes them. I still have several more.

CHMP1.jpg

CHMP2.jpg

CHMP3.jpg

Fourth: Valvoline branded filter from a buddy's 2002 Honda Accord. Little thimble sized filter, think it equates to a PH6607 size. Was in use for about 7K miles, using whatever oil Valvoline instant oil change used, probably Maxlife 5w-20 I'm guessing.

Impressions: Looks like an E-core filter internally-- plastic wire cage inside, but metal end caps-- one of which readily fell off as soon as I got the filter apart (see photos). Nice construction and thick can, media was well spaced and in good condition. Only reservation I had was the ADBV was quite stiff, almost the consistency of wet cardboard. This was a pretty new filter, so probably cheap materials used there.

VALV1.jpg

VALV2.jpg

The ADBV will prevent all oil above the filter from draining down ... so regardless of orientation, the ADBV does something.
So if the filter is vertical -- inlet from above (outer holes), and outlet from above, how can the oil filter empty itself?

Is the inlet pressure from above (I guess gravity? after the engine is shut off) sufficient to push oil out of the filter outlet when no ADBV is used?

Trying to learn here, not being obstinate.

This is a interesting description. Could you expound something more on this?
Like a rubber gasket that if you bend, will hold that bend for a time before it recovers to it's usual shape. Sorry, wet cardboard was the first thing that came to my mind, but probably not the best descriptor...

All the other ADBV gaskets were like normal rubber or silicone-- very pliable.

So if the filter is vertical -- inlet from above (outer holes), and outlet from above, how can the oil filter empty itself?

Is the inlet pressure from above (I guess gravity? after the engine is shut off) sufficient to push oil out of the filter outlet when no ADBV is used? ...
That orientation won't stop oil in passages above the filter from draining down through the filter "backwards" if there's no effective ADBV.

Is the inlet pressure from above (I guess gravity? after the engine is shut off) sufficient to push oil out of the filter outlet when no ADBV is used?

Trying to learn here, not being obstinate.
Read what I said again in post #3. The oil in the galleries above the filter can drain back down through the filter. The filter itself may not lose oil or be "empty", but if oil galleries drain out above the oil filter then there is still air in the oiling system upon the next start-up. The point of the ADBV is to keep oil from draining out in the entire oiling system, just not out of the oil filter.

Read what I said again in post #3. The oil in the galleries above the filter can drain back down through the filter. The filter itself may not lose oil or be "empty", but if oil galleries drain out above the oil filter then there is still air in the oiling system upon the next start-up. The point of the ADBV is to keep oil from draining out in the entire oiling system, just not out of the oil filter.
Makes perfect sense now, thanks for the explanation.

Very nice cut and posts and informative write up. What oils and filters went back on the cars/vehicles?

Thank You sir 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍
Filter #1 (07 Pacifica) had Chevron Supreme SP 5w-30 put in and a Supertech ST16 (E-core) filter. Will probably run it for 5-6K.

Filter #2 was just pulled off my '96 Maxima. I put Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40 in it with a Champion COS3593A filter (same filter as #3). I expect to run the 15w-40 till early winter and will replace it with some 5w-30 or something more cold weather friendly; it'll probably have 7K or so on it by then.

Filter #3 was an old one sitting in the garage that also came off my '96 Maxima. It was replaced with Chevron SN 10w30 and the generic Hastings filter that was disassembled in #2.

Filter #4 from my friend's '02 Accord-- I replaced it with Chevron Supreme SP 5w-30 (have a bunch of it in my stash) and a Mobil1 M1-207 filter. That size (equiv to a Fram PH3985) is quite a bit oversized for the application but I used them in my own J-series Honda engine back when I owned one-- they have same thread size and comparable specs to the normal PH7317/PH3593A used on Hondas. They don't physically fit on my '96 Maxima, so it was nice to get rid of an orphan filter I no longer have a use for.

Decided to rid the garage of used oil filters, I only C&P now till I accumulate a few and get tired of looking at them line the garage wall.

First exhibit: Fram Ultra ordered off Ebay in a six-pack for probably way-too-low price. Likely old stock. I still have a couple if anyone is interested in date codes. XG16 size that came off my Chrysler Pacifica 4.0L, 5K OCI. Filter and Mobil1 AFE 0w-30 were on the car since November 2021 for those curious.

My impressions: filter media seemed to have a bit of delamination of sorts on the outside-- there were tufts of filter media and sometimes large pieces hanging off the outside (there were larger pieces not pictured). They were difficult to pull off and still intact, meaning nothing really seemed to be floating around. Inside the filter showed no obvious signs of anything amiss. Typical Fram Ultra filter otherwise, anti drainback valve still pliable and in good condition, though filter orientation in this car doesn't need it.

View attachment 115727

View attachment 115729

Exhibit B: Some dirt cheap Rockauto filter on closeout I bought a few years ago that I suspect to be Hastings made-- they're usually easy to tell by inlet holes, and especially the outlet holes in the center tube. It's a PH7317 sized filter that came off my 1996 Nissan Maxima 3.0L, 5-6K OCI, in use since April. Again, because of RA closeout, could be 5-10 years old, who knows. Oil used was Chevron Supreme 10w-30 SN oil bought at an Autozone clearance in 2014-ish.

Impressions: Probably the worst of the bunch as far as quality goes. Sure, it didn't fall apart, but that's the best thing it has going for it. Thinnest media I've ever seen of any filter I've disassembled, and I promise I didn't whack it with a hammer. Those wavy pleats are just as it came out of the can. Seemingly nitrile anti-drain back valve was in surprisingly good condition-- still quite flexible. Engine didn't blow up + filter held together = it did it's job I suppose.

View attachment 115730

View attachment 115731

View attachment 115732

Third Exhibit: Champion COS3593A filter -- also bought on Rockauto closeout for some ridiculously low sub $1 price (search threads for virgin filter C&P, there are several). This also came off my 1996 Maxima; filter was in use for 5-6K OCI (approx 4 months) using Chevron Supreme 5w-30.

Impressions: Probably the best of the bunch. Filter was well made, good pleat spacing, nice pliable ADBV. Filters came shipped loose without a box, made in Mexico, no idea who makes them. I still have several more.

View attachment 115733

View attachment 115734

View attachment 115735

Fourth: Valvoline branded filter from a buddy's 2002 Honda Accord. Little thimble sized filter, think it equates to a PH6607 size. Was in use for about 7K miles, using whatever oil Valvoline instant oil change used, probably Maxlife 5w-20 I'm guessing.

Impressions: Looks like an E-core filter internally-- plastic wire cage inside, but metal end caps-- one of which readily fell off as soon as I got the filter apart (see photos). Nice construction and thick can, media was well spaced and in good condition. Only reservation I had was the ADBV was quite stiff, almost the consistency of wet cardboard. This was a pretty new filter, so probably cheap materials used there.

View attachment 115736

View attachment 115737
Thanks, good works.. see my :: new Shop went to VALVOLINE SYNTHETIC 5W-30, & FILTER VO58 ( BULK o pak ) :: appears of , less, standard Quality/?. Interestingly , my 2007 4 CYL/ CANYON was perfect with “MOBIL ONE SYNTHETC & Napa GOLD( Wix), or Purolator boss … ?

The point of the ADBV is to keep oil from draining out in the entire oiling system, just not out of the oil filter.

That's a little bit of a stretch/reach...

I don't think you'll find an automotive design engineer *anywhere* that would put his/her faith in the ability of a 3rd party/aftermarket drainback valve to perform such a heroic feat....
It's is COMPLETELY out of the control of the auto/engine manufacturer.

At BEST - - the valve is there to keep the filter from draining dry....

Do not place any higher expectation upon it over/above that.

I don't think you'll find an automotive design engineer *anywhere* that would put his/her faith in the ability of a 3rd party/aftermarket drainback valve to perform such a heroic feat....

Wrong assumption on your 2nd bolded statement. Guess you have never done an oil change on an engine that has the oil filter mounted down low on the engine - it's not a "stretch", it's a fact. When the oil filter is removed, there can be a lot of oil in the galleries located above the filter that will drain out the oil filter mount when the filter is removed. That's the oil I'm talking about in the oiling system. The filter's ADBV also prevents that oil from back flowing through the filter when the engine is off. Depending on the engine design, it's possible that a leaky ADBV could allow the oil above the filter to back flow and drain out leaving the galleries above the filter empty, but the oil filter could still remain full of oil.

Re: your 1st bolded statement. I've had plenty of aftermarket oil filters that had ADBVs that sealed 100%. Done tests on filter ADBVs with the filter sitting base side down full of oil for a week, and no oil drained out of the filter. A good ADBV will seal 100% and not allow any oil to flow past it.

I’m waiting on your high Mike filter in use to be cut and posted sir

That's the oil I'm talking about in the oiling system. The filter's ADBV also prevents that oil from back flowing through the filter when the engine is off. Depending on the engine design, it's possible that a leaky ADBV could allow the oil above the filter to back flow and drain out leaving the galleries above the filter empty, but the oil filter could still remain full of oil.

Purely happenstance, if the filter is capable of such.

Like I said - engine designers don't put THAT much faith in 3rd party oil filter designs.
If it happens - great...... Happy days.
But they don't "depend" on that function as part of their engineering design criteria.

Purely happenstance, if the filter is capable of such.

Like I said - engine designers don't put THAT much faith in 3rd party oil filter designs.
If it happens - great...... Happy days.
But they don't "depend" on that function as part of their engineering design criteria.
It's not "happenstance" ... it's the way it works. I'm not sure what you're actually talking about wrt to "engine designers don't put THAT much faith in 3rd party oil filter designs." . How about some more information on what you think an ADBV is all about.

Last edited:
It's not "happenstance" ... it's the way it works. I'm not sure what you're actually talking about wrt to "engine designers don't put THAT much faith in 3rd party oil filter designs." . How about some more information on what you think an ADBV is all about.
You can NOT seriously, after all this time - - -
*blindly* believe that the ADBV:
1) always works,
2) all the time , & in
3) 100% of all filters made - that are equipped with such a feature?

Don't be so naïve - - - - -

Auto engineers are not - - that is why it isn't "depended upon" for any critical function.
AT MOST - - it is a luxury - - and NOTHING more.
If it works / functions 100% - then yay, happy days.

How often do they operate 100% of the time?
Well - - I'll never put any real money on it.

Back