Bypass Oil Centrifuge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I looked before I started this thread and could not see where a centrifuge has been addressed before so if I missed a thread, sorry about that.

I recently added an oil centrifuge to my 6.4 truck. It seems to spin up properly, but my oil color seems to stay pretty dark (cant see through it). Has anyone else added a centrifuge to their trucks? I have looked at videos online of oil on a single pass with a centrifuge and it looks brighter than new (on a single pass......). I know oxidization causes darkening, but these other oils I am seeing are also used. If anyone who has experience with one can chime I would appreciate it. Thanks.

20190112_080535.jpg

Originally Posted by pcoxe
I wonder if a centrifuge might remove some borderline soluble additives too.

I'm not sure what you mean by "borderline soluble". If they are soluble it will not, that's impossible.If they are not soluble then it might, based on the rotational speed and duration. Without filtering efficiency who would know?

Some large Scania diesel engines (from Sweden) have a centrifuge only - no "regular" oil filter element.

A centrifuge will ONLY do it's job properly once it is up to proper speed!

I would be interested to see oil analysis? Did you send any samples prior to install of the centrifuge? Is it using a diesel fuel filter?

The Honda 305 Dream and Scramblers used a chain driven centrifugal oil filter. Worked very well. That was in 1964 until it was discontinued.

cdlamb, I have not had an UOA done on the oil as of yet. I am just going on color right now. You can look at various websites and they show original and "one hour later" oil color. They of course appear quite different. Also, sorry if I did not specify but I am using the centrifuge on the engine oil. Not on the fuel.

To comment on some other suggestions, the spinner does seem to be spooling as fast as it should with no hindrances. I have cleaned it several times and it does catch particles. I actually need to clean it again soon. If you all wish I can take come pics and post. They say on website info I have looked up that the spinner can remove particles under one micron in size.

Originally Posted by Maxxforce
They say on website info I have looked up that the spinner can remove particles under one micron in size.

Well so can my window screen, it all has to do with efficiency.

Can you tell us how much that filter assembly cost?

cdlamb, I have not had an UOA done on the oil as of yet. I am just going on color right now. You can look at various websites and they show original and "one hour later" oil color. They of course appear quite different. Also, sorry if I did not specify but I am using the centrifuge on the engine oil. Not on the fuel.

Who manufactures the centrifuge?
I can't tell by your photo if the yellow filter is the centrifuge, or the other box near your headlamp.

The yellow filter appear to be a diesel fuel filter. Is this filter part of the centrifuge, or just an additional inline fuel filter?

Originally Posted by cdlamb

The yellow filter appear to be a diesel fuel filter. Is this filter part of the centrifuge, or just an additional inline fuel filter?

The yellow item is the engine oil centrifuge - - not fuel

kschachn, I imagine it is slightly better than a window screen. I remember seeing info out there on efficiency, but I will have to find it again. One advantage to a spinner is that the particle size filtered is not dependent on the pore size from a traditional filter media. It is dependent on the rpms and the mass of every individual particle in order to pull it out of the oil. This kit costs about $399 from diesel craft and another approx. 25 to 50 in fittings. Note you never have to buy a filter element.

Anyone using or know of someone using a centrifuge on their truck? I was hoping to compare notes.

cdlamb, I got my unit from dieselcraft. model: oc-25 I believe.

kschachn, I imagine it is slightly better than a window screen. I remember seeing info out there on efficiency, but I will have to find it again.

Yes, I was just pointing out that without a corresponding efficiency rating the micron number is meaningless.

Kind of like saying my speed at the time of the accident was 80.

Looks like from a piece of info I found from a producer, the reduction is as follows:

>5 micron, 81.9% reduced
>15 micron, 88.9% reduced
>25 micron, 78.6% reduced
>50 micron, 25% reduced
>100 micron, 100% reduced

So this would be comparing before and after installation. Also the metal box in the position above the headlight is actually the air pump to push oil back to the engine.

Looks like from a piece of info I found from a producer, the reduction is as follows:

>5 micron, 81.9% reduced
>15 micron, 88.9% reduced
>25 micron, 78.6% reduced
>50 micron, 25% reduced
>100 micron, 100% reduced

So this would be comparing before and after installation.

How... odd. Maybe I just don't understand that.

So does anybody know of anybody using an oil centrifuge on their truck? I was hoping someone could chime in on oil color after using one.

ihatetochangeoil is a forum member running one on his car. He would be the best person with info on Centrifuge filtration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back