Bypass filter for Bob (for Xmas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is much talk about how Bobistheoilguy's oil analysis with a Fram filter is better than with the Mobil 1 filter. I wonder if we can better the results with a bypass filter.

Hopefully Bob will want to go through the pain of installing one. I would like to help support the site by getting him one (if he wants it)

Is anybody interested in putting up $5 or $10 for a bypass filter for Bob? Has anyone other than me benefited from this great oil site?

[ November 19, 2002, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

Wait a minute. Everyone calm down and don't try to answer all at once. You might crash the forum! So this is the sound of one hand clapping, I always wondered...

Patman--surely you have a comment

What about you Amsoil guys or Ralph Wood, this is a chance to sell a bypass kit if we can raise the money.

For those of you who are always poo-pooing bypass filtration as unnecessary or of limited value, this is your chance to get real evidence. Without testing you'll have to keep putting that "IMHO" in front of any comments you make about bypass filters.

JJ, great idea and if it was posible, just for the fun of it I'd really consider doing it but, I was looking earlier to putting a filter relocation kit on my car and there is no where to install that let alone a bypass. Sorry, about that.
bob
 -

Sorry I didn't say anything sooner!
grin.gif

I honestly don't see what this is going to accomplish. I think that bypass filters end up skewing the oil analysis results, so it'll be hard to tell what is happening with any of Bob's tests. Bypass filters can make any oil look good. I'm not so sure if it's the fact that they actually are stopping all engine wear, or simply trapping the particles so well that it APPEARS like it's stopping engine wear. But either way, I still believe bypass filters are overkill for the average motorist. Leave it for the fleets.

In my excitement I have forgotten that wear metals that are measured by UOA get trapped in the bypass filter.

I shouldn't post new ideas when I have a cold and am taking medication.
spaz.gif

JJ bula,
I would be glad to send a Motor Guard submicronic bypass M-30 filter to Bob free of charge. I'm sure he can find someone to install and test it for him if he doesn't want to bother. He is an oil guy I'm a filter guy. To a filter guy proper filtration is what makes synthetic oil economical.
I don't spend much money on oil analysis. I pretty much know what I need to do to keep the wear rate to near zero with no routine oil changes. Many think proper filtration is for fleets only. I don't buy it. My oldest filter still in use is a Motor Guard. It has saved me thousands of dollars in the last 30 years.

Ralph

Patman,

I have heard this said before but my understanding is that bypass filtration lowers the overall wear-metal values - one can still see a trend when sampling over time. A bypass filter will do nothing to "skew" the results for viscosity, TBN etc.

Overkill for cars? That's crazy! I guess that can be said for almost anything you do for a car.....oil analysis, quality oil, quality filters, quality grease, quality gear lube................

The reason I always say it's overkill is simply because with a good quality oil and a good spin on oil filter, any of us on here can get extremely long life out of our engines, and will trade the car in long before it's engine is worn out. So putting on the bypass filter just means that engine could've gone 500k instead of say 300k. But how many of us will keep our car for longer than 300k? (these numbers are just examples, don't take them as gospel)

I am not saying they don't work, just that they really aren't needed for the average motorist. If you're a travelling salesman who drives 1000 miles a week and wants to keep his car for ten years, that's a perfect candidate for these filters.

Yes you are right, but you could also make it there with Canadian Tire oil, Fram filters and regular oil changes with no oil analysis.

What I have been noticing is how many people get to 400,000 KM on their vehicle and decide to continue to run it for the duration because they love it so much and the cost of a new car prohibitive.

When a vehicle costs 20 to 30 or even 40 G's, the cost for a bypass installation negligable.

A heavy equipment engineer at Cape Canaveral mentioned on a forum that bypass filters were for commercial use only. Why teach someone to get 1,000,000 miles on an engine when they are going to trade it off in a couple of years. He feels the same about boats. The filters are not for weekend use. They are for commercal fisherman, etc.
About 40 years age I was working in a full service gas station. The phone company didn't believe in changing oil or bypass filters. They figured the engine would be a nasty mess when they auctioned it off but an engine in excellent condition wouldn't make the truck worth more. Bypass filters sell better in foreign countries where people can't afford to throw away everything and where oil is more expensive. I learned a long time ago that I needed to look at selling bypass filters as a hobby and not quit my day job.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back