Bypass Differences

Morning all. I know this has been covered lots of times, but going through many pages of post still leaves me with questions. Been running a Hastings LF589 on my Tacoma and have several more. This is a top mounted setup on the 4.0. They have a rated 14PSI bypass setting. Recently I needed to grab a couple extra filters to reduce overall cost from RA (surprise I know) and bought a couple LF134's that are supposed to cross to say a longer Fram 3600 style filter. There is no clearance issue (ran a XG3600 before) but the bypass is only 8PSI, which I neglected to find out till after the fact. Would I be ok to run these or should I shelve them for some other use?

I run the Fram XG3600 on my 4.0L Tacoma, and the bypass setting on the 3600 is the same as on the shorter specified Fram XG3614 - both are at 12 PSI. So it's strange that the Hastings LF134 that crosses over to the XG3600 size has a different bypass setting than the shorter Hastings LF589.

Where are you getting the Hastings bypass valve setting info?

I run the Fram XG3600 on my 4.0L Tacoma, and the bypass setting on the 3600 is the same as on the shorter specified Fram XG3614 - both are at 12 PSI. So it's strange that the Hastings LF134 that crosses over to the XG3600 size has a different bypass setting than the shorter Hastings LF589.

Where are you getting the Hastings bypass valve setting info?

Got it strait from Hastings website. Found it kinda strange myself.

More confusion because the Baldwin B1405 which is for my Toyota and is a ph3614 size, lists 20 psi. I think that’s why I never bought them. I also remember an 8 psi bypass too on something where the standard is 12-14 and wondered what’s up with that? They know what they are doing being in the filter business forever is the only conclusion I can come to. Baldwin and Hastings ar made by the same company and some say are the same filters.
Not sure they are exactly the same.
The BT223 which is exactly the same size and recommended for Toyota as the B1405 lists 8 psi, that’s one I hadn’t remembered. The Toyota filter for both the applications is the same yzzd1 size or ph3614. The Baldwin equivalent to Ph3600 seems to have the 14 psi bypass. So that’s quite a mix of bypasses, three different ones.

Last edited:
I believe it’s WIX and Fram that have different bypass settings for an equiv. filter. It may be Fram that even has theirs different than the OE filter.

Honestly I don’t think the bypass PSI means much within reason.

IMO...... I would not run them, the BP is way lower so more oil will be getting unfiltered(going into bypass more often), my self in certain applications look for a filter with a higher BP setting

IMO...... I would not run them, the BP is way lower so more oil will be getting unfiltered(going into bypass more often), my self in certain applications look for a filter with a higher BP setting
The German made Mann for my Audi is something like 32 PSI IIRC. It also spec’s a M1-204 (Fram xx16), which is about half that.

Depending on your application, there may be one that’ll work for you.

Interestingly, the non Stratapore Fleetgard equivalent LF3339 is also listed as having an 8psi BPV.

Back