BYD Builds 300th E-Bus in Lancaster, CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/04/20190404-byd1.html

BYD has produced its 300th bus at its Lancaster, Calif. manufacturing plant. BYD is celebrating the milestone with its highly valued customer and neighbor Antelope Valley Transit Authority (AVTA). AVTA is closing in on a landmark of its own: 1 million miles of zero-emission bus operations. AVTA expects to make that breakthrough in early May.

When BYD opened its Lancaster manufacturing plant in 2013, it had a handful of employees working on 10 buses in a 106,000-square-foot building that once housed a motorhome manufacturing facility.

In just six years, BYD has grown to become the largest battery electric bus manufacturer in North America, with more than 750 employees. Since acquiring the facility, BYD has increased its manufacturing plant to over a half million square feet, with the capacity to produce as many as 1,500 buses a year.

From one bus model under production in 2013, BYD's product line has expanded to include 12 models, the most of any e-bus manufacturer in the market. The transit bus line ranges from 30-foot K7 to the 60-foot K11, and the coach line ranges from 23-foot C6 to the double-deck, 45-foot C10MS.

At any given time, more than 80 buses on the factory floor are in various stages of assembly.

Until reading the article I had no clue electric buses were being built in the Southern California desert.

Back to the future. Seattle has had electric trolley buses since WW2 I think. No chance of running low on battery either though the overhead wires may look unappealing to some.

It's a good alternative along with CNG and hybrid systems.

Edit to add: it should be known that this is a Chinese automaker. Just the fact, not a statement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Back to the future. Seattle has had electric trolley buses since WW2 I think. No chance of running low on battery either though the overhead wires may look unappealing to some.

It's a good alternative along with CNG and hybrid systems.

Seattle, San Francisco, Boston and oddly enough Dayton have sizable trolleybus fleets - and those buses aren't slouches either. As a matter of fact, Seattle and San Francisco ordered the same New Flyer XT40/XT60 buses together.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/04/20190404-byd1.html
When BYD opened its Lancaster manufacturing plant in 2013, .....Until reading the article I had no clue electric buses were being built in the Southern California desert.
Interesting. I used to live out there in the late '90's. Its in the Edwards AFB area, and I actually worked with a member of the Doolittle family at NASA Dryden there. Its the land of meth labs too, not kidding, wish it wasn't true..... Well known for "The Right Stuff" movie topics.
Proterra ( https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/03/university-of-georgia-orders-20-electric-buses-from-proterra/ ) is doing OK too. I took a ride on their first big prototype 15 years ago, so this tech is getting mature. BYD is a Chinese company, and Proterra engineers years ago expressed concern in private conversations that China was stealing their tech. Big news item, right? China taking American tech. News flash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
BYD is a Chinese company, and Proterra engineers years ago expressed concern in private conversations that China was stealing their tech. Big news item, right? China taking American tech. News flash.

Funny how things have changed. Now having end item assembly plant in America is considered a very good thing and most everyone cheers with joy when an assembly plant opens up, while the know how and technology get to be owned by China and others.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
BYD is a Chinese company, and Proterra engineers years ago expressed concern in private conversations that China was stealing their tech. Big news item, right? China taking American tech. News flash.

Funny how things have changed. Now having end item assembly plant in America is considered a very good thing and most everyone cheers with joy when an assembly plant opens up, while the know how and technology get to be owned by China and others.

Ask the people getting a paycheck and working there if they care where the "Tech" comes from.

Answer-probably NOT.

BTW-there are one or two Chinese auto makers that will be selling cars here-very, very soon.

Originally Posted by CKN
Ask the people getting a paycheck and working there if they care where the "Tech" comes from.Answer-probably NOT.
Its certainly better than nothing to employ some medium-to-low-skilled American workers while China does most of the engineering, even if half of their IP is stolen.

Originally Posted by CKN
BTW-there are one or two Chinese auto makers that will be selling cars here-very, very soon.
It's been "very soon" for a lot of years now. Maybe it will happen?
I know India is building off-road-only old style Jeep knock-offs in Michigan now, and they (Mahindra) hopes to do more.

Originally Posted by CKN
Ask the people getting a paycheck and working there if they care where the "Tech" comes from.Answer-probably NOT.
Its certainly better than nothing to employ some medium-to-low-skilled American workers while China does most of the engineering, even if half of their IP is stolen.

Originally Posted by CKN
It's been "very soon" for a lot of years now. Maybe it will happen?
I know India is building off-road-only old style Jeep knock-offs in Michigan now, and they (Mahindra) hopes to do more.

My guess-24 to 48 months. Less than five years.

Seems like the city bus is the ideal EV. Plenty of room for large battery packs and a dedicated place to charge them at night. None of the annoying diesel engine noise.

Was looking at graphs of EV growth rate, and some info showing "cleaner" power gen rate of growth.
All looks upward and aggressive to me. The last thing we need is sweeping "help" from the clueless …

Well, that Chinese tech was enough to light a fire under Gillig who is now offering Cummins' electrified powertrain in their buses. Gillig is 300+ miles away from BYD in Livermore, but BYD did steal a few of their clients.

https://www.gillig.com/batteryelectric

If you or I want to start an "Electric City Bus" (ECB) company, all we have to do is assemble the parts, even the high-tech stuff like https://www.uqm.com/products/propulsion/commercial-vehicles/default.aspx from UQM. Then hire a coach builder, selecting from a bunch of possible companies who can do that. Batteries and charging electronics can be purchased as well...... Then, rivet, weld, and bolt the big parts together in a big building we rent. No or low profits? No problem, since we borrowed somebody else's to do all this and payed ourselves well along the way....

That's how a bus is made by most makers - not as much the North American OEs(New Flyer and NovaBus who is a part of Volvo insist on their own body/chassis) but internationally. Gillig's current and only bus is based off a modular body/chassis system from a Swiss firm that's also used by a few other bus builders in Europe and Australia. The powertrain, electrical system, finishes/trim/seating and passenger information/fleet management is mostly off the shelf with customer-specific differences.

As long as it makes a city bus cheaper to have a series-hybrid natural gas or gasoline engine in there, these All-Battery EV buses don't yet make economic sense to me.
And the weight. Massive mass for the all-EV setup.
40 ft normal bus with the amount of aluminum and other weight-saving chassis elements the BYD bus has: 21,000 lbs
BYD bus: 30,000 lbs
-----> 9,000 lb weight penalty from a normal non-hybrid bus to a BYD.
A hybrid bus probably only as a 2,000 lb weight penalty at most.

Last edited:
Here is the 'best' city bus solution, since the microturbines can run on a variety of fuels:

"NEXT-GENERATION ELECTRIC HYBRIDS
RTD is currently testing a new generation of hybrid electric mall buses, and is running two prototype buses powered by an all-electric drive train using lithium ion batteries for energy storage. The batteries are used to power the electric motors, and all accessories such as air conditioner, power steering, lighting, etc. The batteries recover kinetic energy from the bus brakes via regenerative braking to extend range, and are recharged by a 30 kW (40 hp) micro-turbine. The turbine shuts down when the battery charge is sufficient for operation. The buses can run on all battery drive operation for most of the day and the buses can be plugged in at night for recharging.

And current tech hybrids:
To further advance the use of hybrid technology, RTD now operates nine hybrid intercity buses equipped with a progressive parallel hybrid system designed and produced by General Motors. These buses are driven by both a small diesel engine typically found in a pickup truck and electric motor integrated in a transmission component. The hybrid buses are showing about a 15 to 30 percent improvement in fuel consumption compared to conventional diesel buses.
"

---- http://www.rtd-denver.com/FF-CleanAir.shtml

"DesignLine has ordered 34 C30 microturbines from Capstone Turbine Corp. to integrate into Eco Saver IV range-extended electric buses for the Denver Regional Transportation District (RTD).

These DesignLine buses have an all-electric drivetrain that uses lithium ion batteries for energy storage. The batteries are recharged by the Capstone 30 kW (40 hp) microturbine, which runs on diesel or biodiesel, as well as through regenerative braking technology.

The new buses, which will operate on the 16th Street Mall in downtown Denver, are replacing 36 TransTeq mall buses that have been in service since 1999 and are now being retired. Two Capstone-equipped DesignLine buses have been in service for over a year.
"

--------- https://ngtnews.com/designline-caps...ctric-bus-order-for-denver-transit-fleet

Last edited:
I have wondered why other vehicles are not going EV ? Government fleets, municipal utilities, delivery vehicles, etc.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I have wondered why other vehicles are not going EV ? Government fleets, municipal utilities, delivery vehicles, etc.
Purchase price, infrastructure costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back