By pass on Kohler 27 HP engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a second Dixie Chopper. This one does not have a bypass and I would like to put one on, IF I can find another Motor Guard. The engine already has what looks like a sandwich adaptor on it. The adaptor has a hose running to a small oil cooler and a return line back to the adaptor. If I can figure out which hose is the input to the cooler, can I just insert a "T" fitting in that hose, run it to the inlet of the Motor Guard, then run my oulet back to the other hose coming out of the cooler with another "T" fitting? I would have a restrictor in the Motorguard to limit flow.

That actually sounds like a plan. Run it past Gary Allan. He seems to have some helpful ideas about these set-ups. But your idea sounds good so far. Just make sure the thing heats up after running the engine a while. Then you know the MG is doing some good.

Sounds like a plan. Yes, you can just plumb across the cooler and there will be enough pressure differential to drive flow through the bypass filter. It's the same thing you can do for an automatic trans. Yes, the restrictor is a must.

If you can't reach Ralph, or don't want to manage without his custom collars/inserts (allows the 1 5/8 tube tp rolls) then a BP80A with a EaBp90 runs about $60 delivered. Service life will be longer ..as will replacement cost. Filtration will not be as fine.

Some of the Dixie-Chopper units used to come with BP filters as a dealer-installed option. I have a friend with a Suburban-Turban (sp?) Dixie-Chopper with the twin Kohler 20's on it, and it has two Amsoil BP-90s on it. It also has the oil coolers set-up as described above.

I would think the suggested set up would basically mimic that similar situation.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Sounds like a plan. Yes, you can just plumb across the cooler and there will be enough pressure differential to drive flow through the bypass filter. It's the same thing you can do for an automatic trans. Yes, the restrictor is a must.

If you can't reach Ralph, or don't want to manage without his custom collars/inserts (allows the 1 5/8 tube tp rolls) then a BP80A with a EaBp90 runs about $60 delivered. Service life will be longer ..as will replacement cost. Filtration will not be as fine.

Thanks for the information. I'll be following the plan. :)

Well, the Motor Guard is installed on the Dixie Chopper. I was unable to "T" into the oil cooler lines. Just not enough distance to get the brass T fittings in there. So I stood there looking at the engine and all my parts and voila! It just struck me that I could run the oil from the sandwitch adator to my bypass filter, out of my bypass filter into the oil cooler and from the oil cooler back to the intake on the sandwich adaptor. I installed everything and had to add a considerable amount of oil to fill up the hoses, cooler and bypass canister, but then went out to the yard and mowed for a few minutes and the Motor Guard heated up just like it should. Anyone know of any reason it wont work that way? There is a restrictor in the bypass filter to slow down the flow, but the cooler should still cool the oil, right?

To T into the cooler lines like I had planed would require some 90 degree elbows and big loops to make it work. It would look like [censored] and block easy access to my full flow filter and anything else in that area. I sure hope this way works.

Hmmm...(thinking). Can you get an image?

I would not plumb it this way. I don't know how the sandwich is constructed. I would think that the MG would restrict too much flow to the cooler and I don't know how the cooler flow is regulated ..but it probably has provisions for a flowed or blocked cooler. It may have a sprung relief valve which would account for viscosity/temp changes. That way you wouldn't have to worry about flow restriction, per se~, but I don't think that you'll get adequate cooling.

615-th.jpg

If you can't really manage to plumb it across the cooler without it looking nasty, I'd recommend picking up one of these from Wefilterit.com They soak you for it (oh, boy) but it would solve your issue without any alteration to the cooler flow.

Hmmm...(thinking). Can you get an image?

I would not plumb it this way. I don't know how the sandwich is constructed. I would think that the MG would restrict too much flow to the cooler and I don't know how the cooler flow is regulated ..but it probably has provisions for a flowed or blocked cooler. It may have a sprung relief valve which would account for viscosity/temp changes. That way you wouldn't have to worry about flow restriction, per se~, but I don't think that you'll get adequate cooling.

615-th.jpg

If you can't really manage to plumb it across the cooler without it looking nasty, I'd recommend picking up one of these from Wefilterit.com They soak you for it (oh, boy) but it would solve your issue without any alteration to the cooler flow.

Gary,

OK, I accept that you may be right. Can you explain what the brass piece in the photo is? Went to the website and they call it a transmission adaptor. $35.00 in 1/4" thread! So how does it work?

Last edited:
I haven't examined one, so I don't know if it's just metered or if there's a spring/ball setup there. The basic concept is to create a differential to drive flow through the bypass filter while not impeding flow to the cooler.

They're expensive.

Okay, so it just provides a choke to drive fluid into the filter. it shouldn't take much to produce a couple of pound differential.

Thinking about it, there is no way that piece is going to fit in the little space I have between the sandwich adaptor and the oil cooler. It would require 90 degree elbows and loops in the hose. I'll have to study this some more.

My main question is, why a Dixie Chopper?? With all the other great choices. I used to work at a place that sold Dixie Choppers.

Originally Posted By: jerre310
My main question is, why a Dixie Chopper?? With all the other great choices. I used to work at a place that sold Dixie Choppers.

I acknowledge that there are many choices in commercial grade Z mowers. Some have better rides, some may have better cuts, and some have may have better factory support, but I don't know of any that will do a better job of bushhogging, which I sometimes need on my farm property. I once went into the local Dixie Chopper/Hustler/Cub Commercial/Kabota/etc. dealer and talked to them about trading my 2005 72" DC in on a new Hustler diesel 72". When I described what I was mowing, the salesman told me I already owned the best mower for that job. When I bought my first Dixie, the dealer was 7 miles form my house. Sadly, he went out of business right after that.

Last edited:
Don't be so afraid of the octopus.

OK Gary, the octopus lives ! A couple hours labor and using a total of 14 hose clamps, the Motor Guard is plumbed the way we talked about in the first part of this thread. I am not restricting flow to the cooler, and even with a restrictor plug in the TP housing, there is enough differential pressure to heat up the TP housing very hot, just like on any of my other setups. I just mowed about an hour with it all seems well. I am satisfied with it. Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions. :) I'll try to get pics of it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back